Cocoa Beach Florida

Discussion in 'Florida Sport Fishing Reports' started by Shade42087, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Shade42087

Shade42087 Member

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Yes plz
    Well it finally happened. My job is sending me to Cape Canaveral for a month or so, and I'm giddy! It was short notice somewhat so im completely unprepared. I'm bringing a couple of lighter setups since all I've got is a home made 2" PVC rod case, and my good boat rods are too big. I'm really hoping to get into some good fishing around here, but I've never been so if anyone has any general words of advice, or maybe a boat recommendation it would be much appreciated!

2. la vida

la vida Now I love our Prezzz!!!

Name:
    Frank F
    Boat:
    Boat-less (Sad)
    Florida is not very active on BD yet. Really hasn't caught on.
    But they have really great fishing. Fresh water, inshore and close offshore.
    Do a internet search for guides not much party boats like we have in Ca.

3. Shade42087

Shade42087 Member

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Yes plz
    Yeah that's what I figured. I'm sure I can get into some good fishing, im just avoiding getting on a crap boat lol. Thanks for the reply.

4. Thatsbait

Thatsbait Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Thatsbait
    Boat:
    22' Defiance "Interdictor"
    I grew up there. Good fishing inshore on the Bananna river, but all my spots got high rises on them now. And Port Canaveral now has little shore fishing opportunities since the cruise ships load and off load there.

Get in your car and drive down to Sebastian inlet. Fishing is so good down there! I like the fish the north jetty with a big ass buck tail. 4 to 8oz when the tide is screaming out. I fish a 8ft heavy spinning rod with at least a 6000 size reel. 65 or 80lb braid, 80lb floro leader. Big redfish, snook on the inside. Black drum on the surf side on a lighter rod. Big sharks, tarpon, snapper, jack, Spanish mackerel. It's really worth the drive. You going to need a cast net too. Get some live baits. Plenty of tackle shops to steer u in the right direction. Wish I was there now!

Shade42087 likes this.
  5. Shade42087

Shade42087 Member

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Yes plz
    Thanks so much! Getting my license at 6am tomorrow. I cannot believe the amount of fish able water out here! I'm looking forward to getting into it, I brought my tranx I just need to find a decent rod for it out here.

6. GClev

GClev Newbie for Life

Name:
    Gary C
    Boat:
    HMS Hotspur
    Can you get any further from home? Cocoa to Westport?

Biggest seafood landings on the west coast off and on in Westport. Good chow too.

I spent a lot of time around the inlet at Sebastian in '75-'77 while working for a freight forwarder and got to fish several times. I camped for a week on some island in the Indian River and fished with a cast net, beach net, and clam fork. Spot, shrimp, clams and some wack gypsy woman for a week stoned seventies craziness. This story could go on for a day.

Sebastian? Maybe.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    Shade42087 likes this.
  7. Thatsbait

Name:
    Thatsbait
    Boat:
    Yep, grew up in FL, joined Navy, then off to Hawaii, the southern CA. Got out of Navy moved to WA. Wish I had moved back to FL.

Shade42087 likes this.
  8. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    I have a tiny bit of experience of Florida experience compared to most, but what I have personally seen is in general the tackle shops there are a lot more open to sharing info.

My first time I fished in Florida I stopped in the local shop, talked to the guy at the counter and told him I was from California and didn't know what the hell I was doing. We shot the shit a little bit about the differences of fishing, he expressed interest in Long Range fishing.

I told him the boat I had access too, he showed me a couple of things on a map and what to look for, I spent a little money. The things he showed me that were completely foreign to me like pre-wired frozen ballyhoo with skirts, planer boards etc and I had no clue what the hell to do with them. He told me how to set them up and run them. I showed him the Halco's I brought with me, he was stoked on them and told me to run them, but to wire them.

2 hours later we had a wahoo on deck, on the planer with the skirted wired ballyhoo right over the low-relief reef he showed us on the map.

I love our shops out here, but I don't know if i would have gotten then same level of detail for fear of blowing a spot. Maybe the fishing is just that good he showed me a junk spot to him :D

Shade42087 likes this.
  9. pje

pje Member

Name:
    PJ
    Boat:
    34 Scarab Supersport
    Here's a party boat I fish on quite a bit out of the port , do a full day trip , don't bother with the half day .

https://orlandoprincess.com/

I might have an open spot on my boat sometime soon , if you are interested .

Shade42087 likes this.
  10. Thatsbait

Name:
    Thatsbait
    Boat:
    I have fished on the Orlando princess....dont fish the 1/2....absolutely a waste of time. They just cant get out far enough out. The "full" day is better. They typically fish 90ft of water for snapper. No live well, so I take my own. Try and get a corner stern spot. 50lb spectra, to a short shock leader.Use a long floro leader with a 3 or 4/0 hook. It's pretty much a mangrove or mutton snapper thing. Let the weight sit on the bottom, and keep reel in free spool. Let the snapper pick up the bait and swim off with it, feed them a bit of line. Then reel like hell, no need to swing, just reel tight on them. Then horse them off the bottom. Then slow and steady to the surface. I like to rest my foregrip on the rail and reel smoothly. Lots of rent rods on board. Pay no attention to them. Most of them are out for a boat ride and don't have a clue about how to snapper fish. You probably wont see too many grouper. A sabiki rod is also mandatory to catch bait! Use the smallest fly, that way you can catch cigar minnows. If you start to catch minnows catch as many as you can while they are there! You can catch grunts all day long as they are not as important.

I also like to take a foam pool noodle, which I split with a razor long ways. I push it down over the rail and zip tie it in place. Nice and soft. I hang my extra leaders and a rag off it to. If you leave your extra leaders hanging off a light or clip, they have the tendency to be used by rent rods, as they think belong to the boat.

I would highly recommend the Ocean Obsession II, way better boat and crew and they have a community live well. Smaller and faster, same price.

Shade42087 likes this.
  11. pje

pje Member

Name:
    PJ
    Boat:
    34 Scarab Supersport
    Both of the Orlando Princess boats have 2 live wells , and they just built a new boat as well .

The Ocean Obsession used to be a really fishy boat when Dano ran it , but when he left quite a while back , things kinda went downhill . He must have taken his numbers with him .We would go on it when the OP wasn't going or had a buyout , but stopped going the last year or so because we like to catch fish .The mates on the boat are great , it's not their fault that the capt has shitty numbers . The double O was the fastest boat about 10 years ago , but it seems really slow these days .

FWIW , the capt of the OP dives all of the spots before he fishes them , and if they aren't biting will quickly move to another spot . Unlike the other boat .

Shade42087 and Chicago Pete like this.
  12. Thatsbait

Name:
    Thatsbait
    Boat:
    Good to know. Too bad about the Double O. Caught some nice gags on that boat.

Shade42087 likes this.
  13. Ali

Ali Master of Nothing Admin

Name:
    That Guy
    Boat:
    31' Innovator
    Also hit up Handler Fishing Supply in Cocoa. Tell Adrian I sent ya. He'll give you the scoop on the area.

Shade42087 likes this.
  14. Chicago Pete

Chicago Pete Newbie

Name:
    Peter D Womack
    Boat:
    None
    West Coast Sport boat fishing and Florida head boat fishing are vastly different. I believe it's due to different customer base. I enjoy SoCal fishing more, but I will be fishing Hubbard's Marina and the Canaveral Princess in June. Glad to hear about live wells on the O.P. boats.

Shade42087 likes this.
  15. Shade42087

Shade42087 Member

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Yes plz
    I went in the Canaveral princess, but we only caught small red snapper. I've been having a blast fishing the Trident Wharf catching jacks. I've caught small fish from haulover canal. I think I'll be here another 20 days or so, I'm looking forward to getting into more.

16. Shade42087

Shade42087 Member

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Yes plz
    The customer base here in cocoa beach is extremely tourist based. Low expectations, so the boat I went on at least didn't really seem to care that much about getting us on quality fish.

Chicago Pete likes this.
  17. Shade42087

Shade42087 Member

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Yes plz
    I'm going to go visit Monday, thanks I appreciate it!

Chicago Pete likes this.
  18. Chicago Pete

Chicago Pete Newbie

Name:
    Peter D Womack
    Boat:
    None
    The Deckhands do seem to appreciate an angler that knows what's going on. Have fun. Post what you get.

19. Amadeus

Amadeus Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Wai Jung
    Boat:
    Seahawk II
    Will be fishing the O.P. Full Day trip on June 22. What day are you going?

20. Chicago Pete

Chicago Pete Newbie

Name:
    Peter D Womack
    Boat:
    None
    No trip this year. My wife has some health issues we have to deal with. Hopefully San Diego next spring. Let me know how you do.