Offshore Cobalt Sport Fishing

charliecat

on a fishin' mission
Jun 2, 2015
Name
charlie cat
Boat
14' -50' , bunch of boats
Obviously since most of us are not equal to your level in intellect perhaps you could explain yourself in layman's terms so we could all get a better understanding of the point you are trying to make rather than us writing you off as just another kook. I hope your explanation will focus on the strobe light not the Plastic Trash Bag.

Hey bub, from your tone, I take it your intention is to be divisive and incendiary, but in case you are actually wondering...
CFRs are the 'Code of Federal Regulations' which are the laws that basically rule the country we live in. Everything from Energy to Elections to ATF to Ag to Patents to Fish and Wildlife and everything in between.
The one that I referred to is one Captains have to know to pass their USCG test, and is posted on every USCG regulated commercial vessel, including charter boats.
It states more or less that plastic is ILLEGAL to put in the ocean. Makes sense to me.
So, yes I am talking about the bag, and the light.
Here's a link from the GOOGLE (handy tool btw) https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/33/151.67

I honestly could care less about two rent a boats battling it out for who deserves that slice of the ocean more than the other. My concern is more of safe operation of a vessel and the adherence to the laws that our Country has deemed necessary for all of us to be able to live here and live safely. And probably more than that is the protection of our environment and the ocean, so my grandchildren can pull on a fish one day- and even eat it afterwards.

'Tribute, energized at 5am. They slowed and watched.'

And this ^ , basically incriminates that vessel and captain for a Federal Violation.

Had a few free minutes and thought I would clarify. I'm not here to argue, but wanted to state my piece, as it was a bit cryptic, but also was a little bait to see who would claim dominance (read: guilt).
Be safe and tight lines

Upvote 0

MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
Feb 24, 2003
East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
Name
starts with an "M".....
Boat
#1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
......and this whole thing could have easily been a "share the wealth" moment.

:shake:

that is what is sad. I actually felt kinda bad for the passengers on the Tribute, to be subjected to that kind of attitude from their Captain. I bet he drives a big, insanely lifted truck that never sees dirt, too. (j/k.....but it fits the profile)

Skipper of the Cobalt did not immediately fire back, but after the barrage of insults, I don't blame him.

as said, not my circus, not my monkeys. But, I was there. You guys who feel loyal to a skipper that acts like that.....well, you get what you pay for. I know that if I were the skipper on the Cobalt, I would not have said a word. But I get it.

anyway.....grilled small dodo is pretty good.....kinda like veal. :D

Upvote 0

downtime

I Should Upgrade My Account
Sep 12, 2006
San Diego
Name
Ronson
Boat
26 Skipjack "Reel Hard"
......and this whole thing could have easily been a "share the wealth" moment.

:shake:

that is what is sad. I actually felt kinda bad for the passengers on the Tribute, to be subjected to that kind of attitude from their Captain. I bet he drives a big, insanely lifted truck that never sees dirt, too. (j/k.....but it fits the profile)

Skipper of the Cobalt did not immediately fire back, but after the barrage of insults, I don't blame him.

as said, not my circus, not my monkeys. But, I was there. You guys who feel loyal to a skipper that acts like that.....well, you get what you pay for. I know that if I were the skipper on the Cobalt, I would not have said a word. But I get it.

anyway.....grilled small dodo is pretty good.....kinda like veal. :D
Going on the BBQ!
5528C5FC-A4BD-49C7-8B41-0FEABA7B4596.jpeg

Upvote 0

DOGHOUSE26

Feb 22, 2004
Escondido, CA
Name
jeff meeker
Boat
26 Blackman Billfisher
Hey bub, from your tone, I take it your intention is to be divisive and incendiary, but in case you are actually wondering...
CFRs are the 'Code of Federal Regulations' which are the laws that basically rule the country we live in. Everything from Energy to Elections to ATF to Ag to Patents to Fish and Wildlife and everything in between.
The one that I referred to is one Captains have to know to pass their USCG test, and is posted on every USCG regulated commercial vessel, including charter boats.
It states more or less that plastic is ILLEGAL to put in the ocean. Makes sense to me.
Here's a link from the GOOGLE (handy tool btw) https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/33/151.67

I honestly could care less about two rent a boats battling it out for who deserves that slice of the ocean more than the other. My concern is more of safe operation of a vessel and the adherence to the laws that our Country has deemed necessary for all of us to be able to live here and live safely. And probably more than that is the protection of our environment and the ocean, so my grandchildren can pull on a fish one day- and even eat it afterwards.

And this ^ , basically incriminates that vessel and captain for a Federal Violation.

Had a few free minutes and thought I would clarify. I'm not here to argue, but wanted to state my piece, as it was a bit cryptic, but also was a little bait to see who would claim dominance (read: guilt).
Be safe and tight lines
I have a Commercial Fishing License and I am well aware of CFR 33- 151.67. It is not illegal to install a strobe light to mark a Navigation Hazard which a large kelp could be considered as. A strobe Light is not considered as a piece of plastic trash, let alone a $4500 strobe and GPS Transponder. You have no idea who left the garbage bag on the kelp, but I'm pretty sure the Tribute or somebody else in the Commercial Fleet had something to do with the strobe/transponder and that is not a violation. Maybe you show a little less arrogance next time as most of us have a 33-151.67 Placard mounted somewhere on our vessel which is required by law.

Reactions: kevina
Upvote 0

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    Tribute must have some hotshot young captain that thinks he owns the ocean and all the kelps. The captains that get it have offered me bait while fishing out on the pond or have even call me into a bite. Who was wrong here I don’t care. I was just fishing and catching. We were all out to do the same thing. I can tell u one thing is that there were plenty of fish to go around. So quit bitching and play together. And again I was a customer that caught lots of fish!
    As Rodney King once said, "Cant we all just get along"

Upvote 0

kevina

• Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    You talk about hunting ... the tribute needs a gps tracker on a kelp to hunt .... thats not hunting... just saying .
    The Beacon and Gps on a kelp makes it easier to find at night and when it's cappin. less fuel to burn and more fishing time. Sounds like pretty smart hunting/fishing in my book! :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

kevina

• Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport

Be safe and tight lines
    :rofl::ashamed:

Reactions: DOGHOUSE26
    Upvote 0

onehottip

May 8, 2006
    So cal
    Name
    Guerms
    Boat
    18.5 Wahoo cc , Evinrude Etec V6 135 HO
    No skin in the game here, I heard the radio show and I happen to see Marine traffic the day in question. They were in US waters wayy out west. Near no one else. The Colbalt had been in that zone for a couple days prior. WHOs paddy idgaf.

Upvote 0

gecsr1

Plain Jane Rods...Hobby Rod Builder
    Jul 15, 2005
    Poway Ca
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    No Boat Now
    The Beacon and Gps on a kelp makes it easier to find at night and when it's cappin. less fuel to burn and more fishing time. Sounds like pretty smart hunting/fishing in my book! :rolleyes:
    yeah kinda like just going to the fish market.. you know where it is..
    that's not fishing.... every sport has it's cheaters......

Upvote 0

gecsr1

Jul 15, 2005
    Poway Ca
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    No Boat Now
    View attachment 1206439

Let me guess, fishfinders are cheating as well? Waypoints too?
    fish finder assists in the hunt as do waypoints.. but putting a gps beacon on a patty is like I said Going to the fish market... that takes the sport of fishing out of the equation...
    as is total Bull shit.... you want to fish that way go for it.... save your fuel go to the fish market...You take the sport out of the word "fishing" LOL

Upvote 0

Hismosa

• Oct 15, 2016
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Name
    Glenn
    Boat
    Boats n hoes
    fish finder assists in the hunt as do waypoints.. but putting a gps beacon on a patty is like I said Going to the fish market... that takes the sport of fishing out of the equation...
    as is total Bull shit.... you want to fish that way go for it.... save your fuel go to the fish market...You take the sport out of the word "fishing" LOL
    Fishdope? Spotter plane? Your buddy calling you in on a hot bite?

But whatever floats your boat, be a purist, whittle your canoe and start handlining fish. Should make for an entertaining youtube channel.

Upvote 0

gecsr1

Jul 15, 2005
    Poway Ca
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    No Boat Now
    Fishdope? Spotter plane? Your buddy calling you in on a hot bite?

But whatever floats your boat, be a purist, whittle your canoe and start handlining fish. Should make for an entertaining youtube channel.
    well I guess you like going to the fish market have it your way and I will do my thing...
    Hismosa another fish market fisherman.... LOL

Upvote 0

DOGHOUSE26

Feb 22, 2004
    Escondido, CA
    Name
    jeff meeker
    Boat
    26 Blackman Billfisher
    With all do respect Gary, its not the PBer that's setting up the strobes, its the Commercial Party boat Skippers using it as a tool so they don't have to spend as much time and fuel day to day finding the magic patty thus giving their customers a better chance at a decent catch and also increasing the boats bottom line. They are not in it for the sport, they want numbers so their customers will come back and others will see their counts and maybe give them a try.

But if I ever find one on a kelp and they're worth $4500, I'm sure I could get $2,000-2500 on E Bay...................

Upvote 0