Coastguard Cocktail

Discussion in 'Washington Fishing Reports' started by Baby J, Mar 29, 2018.

1. EJ Swanny

EJ Swanny I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Erik
    Boat:
    "Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
    Full disclosure, I got sea-sick once when I woke up hung over on a shitty weather day at westport. That was 95. Not since. So I KNOW, the pain...

What i feel sorry for is the crew that comes on the boat (no booze the night before) and are miserable. My cousin fishes NB and Gulf Islands with us every year. He has a great personality and is constantly making us laugh. When he starts falling silent, I know he's hurting. He's tried all the OTC stuff.

We try and get him at the helm, breeze in the face, and concentrate on the FF/CP and driving the boat. It usually works.......keep the poor bugger with a cool breeze in their face, and tell them they are responsible for the boat. Get their mind off it and it works wonders.

Be safe all............

2. goatram

goatram Notable Member Gate Keeper to the Great Northwest

Name:
    grrrrrrrr
    Boat:
    33' RBW MISS ELIZA
    In 1984 got sick in the back seat of a F-15B, 1985 got 4 rides in the back seat of the OV-10 Bronco. First 2 rides flew out and back to Osan AB ROK. The pilot was an old Major. Good no issues. The second set of rides was with a young AF LT. Had coffee and Pop Tarts. He did the first rocket pass without saying anything. Started to puke and continued after ever pass. 2.5 hr flight we landed at a Korean AB. Taught a 2hr class on how to load the weapons on the plane. They took me to the Korean chow hall. Got back and it's 95degrees and 100% humidity. LT scream that we had to leave now but I still had paperwork to do. 1/2hr later we are in the plane taxing to EOR. He looks in the rear view mirror and tellse to roll down my sleaves and zip up the flight suit. I did but as we started our roll I rolled them up and unzipped. Right away I'm hot and the plane only had 2inch ram air scoups for cooling. Not working. I'm sweating and then the rocket passes started. An hour into the flight I got no more puke. I ask the pilot to land on the road below. He declined wanted me to fly the plane. Fuck the plane I want out of it. 10 mins later it got real for him. I toldhito to land or I was punching out. Half hour later we landed at Osan and the aidcar meet us at EOR. He shut off the port engine and they pulled me out. And put the IV in me. 2 bags later they let me out of the base hospital. The planes Crewchief had clean the back seat out. Never more did I fly in a fighter. Cool but my inner ear said fuck that shit.

Got a little ribbing at work after that. I take my 4mg scopace and I'm happy. Wounded Warriors get offered a pill if they want it. In 2009 the Sunday after the party I was supposed to have 2 guys go out. One was sick from the day before. The other was sick for most of the morning. Did not want to quit so we fished and he looked bad at noon time.

My son pukes ever morning as soon as we start trolling for tuna then he's good for the rest.of the day. Baby J I feel for.you.

One_Leg and FINATIC 21 like this.
  3. critterkiller

critterkiller AKA Cohobankie

Name:
    Jefe'
    Boat:
    1998 Tiderunner Pt. Defiance
    One Bonine the night before you leave, one in the morning, no alcohol the night before, sleep, good to go. Day two take a half in the morning. Scopo patch really can put you out. Cheap insurance.

mrfish11 likes this.
  4. FINATIC 21

FINATIC 21 MAD SALMON

Name:
    Jay
    Boat:
    27 Raydanie Pilothouse

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
    goatram likes this.
  5. KimH

KimH Someday I'll live the dream.

Name:
    Kim
    Boat:
    26' Duckworth..."Mayhem"
    I've never been seasick but have been around a lot of people that get sick.
    The best way to conquer it is just go fishing everyday. Unless you are one of the rare chronic types you'll get used to it.

6. Roll the Bones

Roll the Bones Dr. Fong

Name:
    Dr. Fong
    Boat:
    Hewescraft 250 Alaskan
    I just hit the pipe and that seems to work, a little Meth does the trick every time and no drowsiness.

Corey G and Ugly Bayliner like this.
  7. TonyG

TonyG I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Tony
    Boat:
    NR Seahawk OS 26'; 20' Alumaweld Super Vee Sled
    Nice prescription Dr Fong!

8. Baby J

Baby J Member

Name:
    Jeremy
    Boat:
    23' Walkaround
    Please tell me you guys are joking lol

9. TonyG

Name:
    Tony
    Boat:
    About the meth? Yes. About the coors? HELL NO. I suppose I might not get sick if I didn't drink coors but I've not tried that experiment yet.

Baby J likes this.
  10. Roll the Bones

Roll the Bones Dr. Fong

Name:
    Dr. Fong
    Boat:
    Hewescraft 250 Alaskan
    How do you know I'm not joking about the Meth?

TonyG likes this.
  11. TonyG

Name:
    Tony
    Boat:
    Fair!

12. wdlfbio

wdlfbio Once you go Cat, you never go back

Name:
    laurence
    Boat:
    2017 LUMACAT 28' Sport
    Cause we all know that you don’t have a sense of humor. Duh.

Grady226 and WaveDancer like this.
  13. Kool-Aid

Kool-Aid Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    World Cat 266SF
    Scopace can be compoundedinto a capsule by a compounding pharmacy. It has been my go-to way since they discontinued the pill.

I don't get tired on it but dry mouth can be a side effect

14. ChuyG

ChuyG Member

Name:
    Jesus
    Boat:
    Hobie Outback
    I feel your pain, as I get motion sickness all the time. I almost quit fishing because of it. EJ is spot on regarding the pharmaceuticals. Here is what has worked for me.
    1. Transderm Scop a full 24 hours before getting on the boat. The patch directions state that a minimum of 4 hours before the getting on the boat but that didn't work for me.
    2. Meclizine 50 mg 2 hours before boarding. It makes me pretty drowsy, but most of the time I am going out the boat is leaving at night and fishing all day (overnight and 1-1/2 boats).
    3. As mentioned above, don't eat anything greasy or dehydrating (alcohol, caffeine, etc) before going out.
    4. Hydrate really well before going out. I pretty much drink enough water to keep my urine almost clear or pale yellow.
    5. Diet: I pack my own food. Some of the boats make absolutely killer good food, but one of those breakfast burritos will have me chumming the entire trip. I bring my own version of onigiri - basically rice balls. My wife is Asian and she makes up a bunch of rice balls with some tuna salad in the middle. I wrap them individually in plastic wrap and eat them throughout the day even if I am not hungry. I also take plenty of crackers that I snack on all day long. Again, hunger isn't the issue. Keeping that gut moving is what is important. Finally, I take lemon or sour candy. I read that sour things can get the gut moving. It works for me but I couldn't find any definitive studies on it.
    6. Misc: Promethazine is one of the more potent antiemetics but the drowsiness makes it tough to tolerate. That's why it is often coupled with a stimulant like ephedrine or caffeine. I tried it but not only did I feel out of it, I still got sick. It wasn't worth it to me. I've heard people say that Zofran has worked well for them, but studies have shown that it doesn't really work too well for motion sickness. It didn't work for me, but I'd take it if it did regardless of the studies. I do use ginger. The navy did a few studies with mixed results but I take 2 gm of ginger before going out then again when I get up to start fishing.
    I still get sick but not as much as I used to. I hope you find that magic combo that works for you. And like some of the other guys have said, keep fishing regardless! Good luck!

15. KickinIt

KickinIt Newbie

Name:
    Nick
    Boat:
    Grady 19 Tourney
    Good call. There are 3 frugal burgers on the bottom of the Pacific with my name on them. They tasted so much better on the way down.

FishPimpII and ChuyG like this.
  16. writebrian

writebrian ... and I'm 6'5"

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    Whoever is Hot that week
    I have been a chronically seasick guy since I started scuba diving in 1995. Have tried everything mentioned in this thread at some point or another with mixed results (Scopace was best). I recently found a product called Sturgeron on the sailing forums on the internet. Seasickness is completely gone and zero side affects. No dry mouth, no drowsiness... nothing!

Problem is you can't buy it in the USA. I bought dozens of pills on a trip to Thailand and haven't looked back. If you can find it, it is the answer.

ChuyG likes this.
  17. WaveDancer

WaveDancer Fishing The Pacific Ocean & Puget Sound Since 1969

Name:
    Ken
    Boat:
    Prowling for a Cat
    Any idea what the hell is in it?

WD.

18. writebrian

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    Whoever is Hot that week
    Active ingredient is Cinnarizine... 15-25mg. It's available as a generic too. Sturgeron is a brand name like Bonine or Dramamine

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
    ChuyG likes this.
  19. ChuyG

ChuyG Member

Name:
    Jesus
    Boat:
    Hobie Outback
    Stugeron is an antihistamine. The generic name is cinnarzine, I think. It is widely available outside of the US. Some have reported that it is fairly equivalent to meclizine, but I've never tried it.
    Add: I just looked it up and it is available in Mexico as "Cinarizina 75 mg tabs." I'll be in cancun next month and will pick some up and post about it afterwards.

20. writebrian

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    Whoever is Hot that week
    That's the one! Keep dosage in the 25mg range and take same frequency as you would Meclizine. The stuff is fabulous!

Dramamine is also an antihistamine. Antiemetic relief is a side effect of most antihistamines and many antidepressants.