Coast Guard Question

liltrouble

Jun 9, 2012
ShillCreek, WA USA
Name
Shari
Boat
Mr. Buttercup
Federal law mandates FOIA requests be completed in 20 days. after that, there can be fines incurred for delay.

Reactions: Genie Aye
Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
    Federal law mandates FOIA requests be completed in 20 days. after that, there can be fines incurred for delay.

They have 20 days to respond not complete the request from the time the appropriate department has the request in hand. A response is typically a letter acknowledging that they have your request and advising you if there are fees for copies, or clarifying if you wish to examine the records in person. After that communication a simple request takes 20-60 working days. 2-3 months basically…

I went through this discussion last month with Homeland Security….. I forgot to update my passport when I renewed for my global entry so they revoked my global entry and when I called to discuss it, they wouldn’t tell me much other than to request info under FOIA….. I asked how long it would take and they said a few months…. 😳

Reactions: Genie Aye
    Upvote 0

Pipe Dream

Jun 15, 2009
    University Place Washington
    Name
    Larry
    Boat
    20 foot Grady-White, Pipe Dream
    As a retired Fed working in a Contracting/Procurement office we had numerous requests for information and many were submitted under FOIA. If there was no question about the releaseability of the requested information we promptly responded asking that they withdraw the FOIA which would allow us to provide the information much more quickly than under a formal FOIA. Seems to me that what is described herein is more of a way to deter/deflect such requests.

Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
    As a retired Fed working in a Contracting/Procurement office we had numerous requests for information and many were submitted under FOIA. If there was no question about the releaseability of the requested information we promptly responded asking that they withdraw the FOIA which would allow us to provide the information much more quickly than under a formal FOIA. Seems to me that what is described herein is more of a way to deter/deflect such requests.
    All depends on the office I suppose. My experience last month, is they would not tell me a thing. The information was completely releasable and it was information about me and my Global Entry. They had already verified my identity just to speak with me, pulled up my file and all they would tell me is I was revoked for “violations of customs or agricultural policies.”

They would not tell me anything more and the only way they would tell me is if I completed a FOIA request. During the conversation I was racking my brain as to what I had done wrong since I had never received any knowledgeable violation. Then it dawned on me my passport renewal in February 2021…. I had not updated the Global Entry with the new passport number and new expiration date…. I asked him if that was it…. He would not answer even that… I would have to request the information under the FOIA… But… he did say that would be a violation..

I requested a reconsideration from the Ombudsman and still waiting to find out…

Each agency is very different in what and how they respond. This response was a total Government BS…

P
    Pipe Dream
    Agree with your assessment. You might want to have a chat with your Congressional representative.
    Reactions: G-Spot
    Upvote 0
    P
    Pipe Dream
    I should have added that the response you received causes them more work in the long run due to their internal procedures which slows down the process and costs them money - and the goodwill of the people for whom they work.
    Reactions: G-Spot
    Upvote 0

Nineball

Let’s goooo!
    Jul 16, 2012
    Port orchard
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    Parker 2310 "GUANO LOCO"

I trust my president elect🤣

where is the video of Jill firing two “BLASTS”:2gunsfiring_v1:

P
    Pipe Dream
    I sure hope that the double barrel 12 gauge is a single trigger design. YouTube of her test firing???? That would be a hoot.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Captain Decent

The Bert makes ‘em Squirt
    Nov 2, 2017
    Covington, wa
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    The Bert Makes ’em Squirt
    I would suggest those that feel violated by simple CG inspections or a few questions DON'T call them if you're sinking.Jesus some of the shit people will cry about.
    Bootlickers step forward please...

Stupidest comment ever. Would it be comprehensible that they could proved S & R missions and secure our coasts without blatant privacy infringements?

Upvote 0

kenzmad

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jan 18, 2011
    kent,wa
    www.jamiesseptic.com
    Name
    jamie
    Boat
    nwj 218 lightning
    Maybe I missed it in the comments but WE dont carry ID.. we do have a drivers license. This must be shown to leo in the event we get stopped for a driving Infraction. Thats it.

Upvote 0

Salmon Hunter

Apr 29, 2010
    West Richland WA
    Name
    Rick
    Boat
    19’ Northwest Jet
    So two weeks ago I was headed out across the Bar and CG Tower Grey's Harbor called out to the Boat on the Bar. Me? Only boat out there at 0430hrs. So I answer up. They ask to go to 22A. I did. They asked me to:
    Identify.
    My Registration Numbers
    Number of Souls on board
    My Intentions
    When will I return.

First time in 13 years that this happened to me.
    Before I gave him the info I asked why he needed this info. Not normal. His response was just in case something happened they would need this info. I reluctantly gave it to him.

Today when I crossed the bar no call from them to me. BUT within 5 minutes he started calling boats out as they crossed the Bar. Went on for most of the morning calling, when answered asking to switch to 22A.

At 1530hrs he was calling on returning boats as well to switch to 22A to identify.

What has changed in the Regs or Requirements for them to know? We are not crossing into or returning from Canada so what is the Reasoning for this change? How far do we need allow this invasion of our Privacy. We are a Free People at this time. We don't need permission to leave our house, drive our car, leave Town, or leave the State. Now some may argue that it means nothing so give the info. But our Gov Inslee has overstepped his bounds in the last year.

Officer Chadwick overstepped his bounds by threatening me with a citation for fishing Halibut in area 3. Dropping my anchor (aka Landing) in Lapush, cleaning my Fish (processing) then returning to Westport with my days catch. Legal by the Regs as written. He, his Capt, and Tribal Cop sitting in his cruzer on the Lapush Jetty think otherwise. Area 3 has Quota but no open ports. Area 4 is the same with Neah Bay closed. ( Expensive Fish that day. 3 fish caught for 200miles traveled and 140gls gas burned.

Your thoughts on the Reasons and what I and you should do in the future? Ps I spent the last year not wearing the muzzle of a mask except to Costco and the Drs office. Steaks and Pain pills are required in my life. Life's a bitch and sometimes ya gotta take the
    Maybe I missed it in the comments but WE dont carry ID.. we do have a drivers license. This must be shown to leo in the event we get stopped for a driving Infraction. Thats it.
    Yeah, as a recently retired LEO here in WA, I have never heard of any requirement to carry ID unless required for a specific activity (driving, boater safety card, etc). I would like to see where that is in the USC for RCW.

Upvote 0

KimH

Someday I'll live the dream.
    Mar 4, 2009
    Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
    Name
    Kim
    Boat
    28' Farallon Walkaround "Paragon"
    Interesting. I've heard the CG tower calling boats this year but just assumed they were calling commercial boats. I guess I wasn't paying enough attention.

It's also interesting what a change in a commander of a district will do. In Alaska we've for years were/are subject to boardings, calls from the cutters et cetera. At least one boarding a year maybe two. Several years ago it felt like the Gestapo was coming aboard. Then one year after our first boarding of the year it was like a light switch ahd flipped. They did the same job, safety and fishery checks of log books, production records et cetera but were very polite and respectful. Yeah they checked ID's. I remember that time they left me contact info just incase I had any questions or needed help. Never had that the year before. The Commander of the district makes a difference. Not sure if that's what is going here or not.

Upvote 0

Captain Decent

Nov 2, 2017
    Covington, wa
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    Blatant privacy infringements ? Give me a break.
    How would you feel if the cops searched your house for fire alarms and drugs when they felt like it and could do it as many times as they felt like.

Ever been boarded by the same CG crew 2 days in a row? I have. Ever have them seize and unload your legally owned firearms? I have. Ever had them terminate your voyage in the middle of the day cause you had 1 nav light out? I have. Ever have them search you for 30-45 min during a 3 hour shrimp derby? I have. But good thing I had nothing to hide so I had nothing to worry about.

Upvote 0

goatram

Notable Member Gate Keeper to the Great Northwest
  • Apr 3, 2008
    Stanwood, WA
    Name
    grrrrrrrr
    Boat
    33' RBW MISS ELIZA
    Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jan 7, 2008
    Socal
    Name
    john
    Boat
    24 ft grady white
    How would you feel if the cops searched your house for fire alarms and drugs when they felt like it and could do it as many times as they felt like.

Ever been boarded by the same CG crew 2 days in a row? I have. Ever have them seize and unload your legally owned firearms? I have. Ever had them terminate your voyage in the middle of the day cause you had 1 nav light out? I have. Ever have them search you for 30-45 min during a 3 hour shrimp derby? I have. But good thing I had nothing to hide so I had nothing to worry about.
    Drama queen.A voyage terminated in the day time because of a light being out ? Very difficult to believe.Are we exaggerating ?

Upvote 0

goatram

Notable Member Gate Keeper to the Great Northwest
  • Apr 3, 2008
    Stanwood, WA
    Name
    grrrrrrrr
    Boat
    33' RBW MISS ELIZA
    I heard it was burning up there,how's your air conditioning holding up ?
    God turned down the hot air coming from the Kalli Hell Hole. The PNW winds kicked in. We are doing fine. Turned of the AC and opened the windows.

Troll on down to LA. They need sum muscle to stop Nancy's Nephew from being recalled.

Upvote 0

tacklejacked

Capt./ Ho if I get to drive
    Jun 2, 2009
    Seabeck
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    22 Hewescraft Searunner ET HT
    Drama queen.A voyage terminated in the day time because of a light being out ? Very difficult to believe.Are we exaggerating ?
    Coast guard, heck any Leo agency, can terminate your trip for any violation, mechanical, safety gear etc...day or night.

Last edited:
    Reactions: goatram
    Upvote 0

sgwill122

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Feb 21, 2011
    Redmond/WA/USA
    Name
    Stephen
    Boat
    'Lady Karen' 28 Duckworth Offshore
    I had a buddy have the same thing happen. He had to wait till the hardware store to open to replace the bulb.

Upvote 0

kwik_wurk

Apr 10, 2012
    Indianola & Browns Point
    Name
    kwik_wurk
    Boat
    Montauk, Sailfish 2360, and Johnson18
    “Spares” box has the battery powered P/S running LED light… (have plenty of all around lights in the ditch bag)

Never had to use it, but did have to take it with me on a tender to a former boat almost every time.

Upvote 0

Dleonardo

Jul 6, 2016
    Bothell
    Name
    Darren Leonardo
    Boat
    Case of the Mondays

In US law, this is settled in United State v. Villamonte-Marquez.

In it, vessels are deemed separate from vehicles, which are separate from homes. US customs/CG can board any vessel at any time without cause. We have virtually zero search protections on vessels on navigable/commercial waterways with some narrow exceptions (like if we live on the boat and it's moored). Washington Article 1 Sec. 7 search limitations don't apply due to lack of jurisdiction.

The difference being that vessels operate in open water. There is no reasonable ability to limit potential abuse from LE as there are with automobiles (set up roadblocks/checkpoints on thoroughfares etc).

The fact they busted you for a broken light is just them being dicks though.

Upvote 0

Captain Decent

Nov 2, 2017
    Covington, wa
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    In US law, this is settled in United State v. Villamonte-Marquez.

In it, vessels are deemed separate from vehicles, which are separate from homes. US customs/CG can board any vessel at any time without cause. We have virtually zero search protections on vessels on navigable/commercial waterways with some narrow exceptions (like if we live on the boat and it's moored). Washington Article 1 Sec. 7 search limitations don't apply due to lack of jurisdiction.

The difference being that vessels operate in open water. There is no reasonable ability to limit potential abuse from LE as there are with automobiles (set up roadblocks/checkpoints on thoroughfares etc).

The fact they busted you for a broken light is just them being dicks though.
    Oh yeah no I get it, its legal.

The disturbing part is why they feel the need to expand their actions against rec boaters just because they can. Theres nothing saying they have to search me for flares but they went ahead and added that to their standard work.

Goldrush

Jul 24, 2008
    Westport WA
    Name
    Kevin Vasereno
    Boat
    43' Delta Gold Rush
    They are now asking us what our targeted fishery is beside the official number, length, POB, and return time. I don’t get it.

Upvote 0

eldplanko

got the skunk off
    Jun 18, 2012
    Ballard
    Name
    My other boat is a piece of...
    Boat
    Floater
    Someone has been bitten by the safety bug… did this really start to pick up after the MOB in May? CG deployed a lot of resources to that, wonder if this is related?

Also, not saying I agree with it, but what are the 3 things they always ask in a pan pan/mayday: what’s your location, how many persons on board, is everyone wearing life jackets? Makes sense they’d want to know persons on board, and associate that with a vessel name in the event the get a mayday with no other information.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Goldrush

Jul 24, 2008
    Westport WA
    Name
    Kevin Vasereno
    Boat
    43' Delta Gold Rush
    Someone has been bitten by the safety bug… did this really start to pick up after the MOB in May? CG deployed a lot of resources to that, wonder if this is related?
    Been going on for over 2 years. They were asking the crabbers the same questions from what I understand.

Upvote 0

rdrrm8e

Fucking Stan
    Nov 19, 2003
    Anaheim
    bdoutdoors.com
    Name
    chuck
    Boat
    No
    You guys seem awful sore about something that seems pretty no brainer to me. If I'm crossing and they call me and ask how many I have onboard I will just take it as one extra set of eyes who knows i am headed out and a little better chance of me being found if something goes wrong. I have one hell of a time ever talking shit about the best resource we have available to us to save our lives on the big blue.

Just my two cents, but go ahead and tear me apart for all your rights you claim they are breaking.
    You are a sheeple

• Love
    Upvote 0