G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
    You guys seem awful sore about something that seems pretty no brainer to me. If I'm crossing and they call me and ask how many I have onboard I will just take it as one extra set of eyes who knows i am headed out and a little better chance of me being found if something goes wrong. I have one hell of a time ever talking shit about the best resource we have available to us to save our lives on the big blue.

Just my two cents, but go ahead and tear me apart for all your rights you claim they are breaking.
    It’s a double edge sword for sure…. We all have our rights to privacy and not having any military or LEO overstep without cause. I think some people don’t see it as much of a privacy invasion like you do…. others like Goat…. Especially after the year we have had with heavy handed government control feel that it’s time to push back a bit….

I’m in Goat’s camp on this one. If I choose to provide the info versus an agency deciding to start overreaching is something different. Don’t forget that great “resource” for saving our ass is paid for by us…. So we expect them to do the job they receive free training and a good paycheck for..

20 plus years ago some guys would actually have a “float plan” kinda like a flight plan… they would contact the coast guard in the morning as they were getting set and volunteer the information, so the coast guard knew, who they were and their intended return time in their log books…

Upvote 0

Fish_on!

• Feb 17, 2015
    Oly
    Name
    Ben
    Boat
    18' Super Vee
    You guys seem awful sore about something that seems pretty no brainer to me. If I'm crossing and they call me and ask how many I have onboard I will just take it as one extra set of eyes who knows i am headed out and a little better chance of me being found if something goes wrong. I have one hell of a time ever talking shit about the best resource we have available to us to save our lives on the big blue.

Just my two cents, but go ahead and tear me apart for all your rights you claim they are breaking.

What about that time they wanted to stop us 3/4 of the way across the bar at ebb tied to check your registration and make sure we were over 20 ft? You know the time I’m talking about. That was a fucking joke.

Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
    Dec 12, 2007
    Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
    Name
    Rick
    Boat
    Yes
    If you are talking about them taking pics once you have been cut loose, it’s probably fair game for them. As a retired LEO, this seems like very odd behavior in light of how LE activity is been scrutinized right now.
    Since the 4th Amendment restrictions on search and seizure do not apply, I doubt that there is any constitutional problem. Personally, I have no problem with them inspecting whenever they want, even if the point is to generate some statistics demonstrating that they don't profile.

Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
    Dec 12, 2007
    Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
    Name
    Rick
    Boat
    Yes
    It’s a double edge sword for sure…. We all have our rights to privacy and not having any military or LEO overstep without cause. I think some people don’t see it as much of a privacy invasion like you do…. others like Goat…. Especially after the year we have had with heavy handed government control feel that it’s time to push back a bit….

I’m in Goat’s camp on this one. If I choose to provide the info versus an agency deciding to start overreaching is something different. Don’t forget that great “resource” for saving our ass is paid for by us…. So we expect them to do the job they receive free training and a good paycheck for..

20 plus years ago some guys would actually have a “float plan” kinda like a flight plan… they would contact the coast guard in the morning as they were getting set and volunteer the information, so the coast guard knew, who they were and their intended return time in their log books…
    The solution to LEGAL governmental intrusion is to be a voice in the democratic process. Where I live, my voice and viewpoint are ignored. Instead, it is the defund police crowd to which the elected official pander.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Wild Bill

Not Blackmouthing
    Aug 4, 2010
    Camano Island
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    Otter Craft
    My God don’t question gov authority Goat. After all your commander and chief threatened to use nukes and F 15’s if needed to keep you inline.

Upvote 0

tinmaniac

Almost A Member
    Jul 17, 2013
    Washington
    Name
    Bob
    Boat
    Sled
    What's the problem if you're not doing anything wrong or have something to hide?Comply and you won't get shot is the battle cry from the same people that have lost their fucking minds over a simple piece of cloth.Practice what you preach.Back the blue right? There is a reason why our privilege is being called out and here it is.

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    What's the problem if you're not doing anything wrong or have something to hide?Comply and you won't get shot is the battle cry from the same people that have lost their fucking minds over a simple piece of cloth.Practice what you preach.Back the blue right? There is a reason why our privilege is being called out and here it is.
    Crock of shit spew right here! There is a big difference in complying when officer arrive who were called because you’re breaking the law and out of your fucking head on drugs, or you are violating a restraining order and pull a gun on officers!

You are an idiot to compare the two! I don’t believe in officers randomly harassing anyone people of color or otherwise… If I get caught in the act of a crime and then refuse to comply it is a completely different situation and I won’t pull a gun on law enforcement…. Duh!

so you support stop and frisk? What’s the problem if they aren’t doing something wrong?

Reactions: Captain Decent
    Upvote 0

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
    Sep 15, 2008
    Olympia, WA
    Name
    laurence
    Boat
    2021 Allied WildCat 30
    I’m not aware of a federal or state law that says one must carry a legal picture ID when boating or fishing. I also believe in innocent until proven guilty and chose not to provide information that could be used to incriminate me (accidentally or otherwise).
    I also don’t see a need to let them know how many people are aboard my vessel. I’ll gladly share that info at the relevant time... if shit ever hits the fan.
    Their ability to circumvent the 4th amendment disappoints me. I’ll not give them more ability to infringe upon my rights.
    Lastly, I will always be respectful. That doesn’t mean I’ll just bend over to every request though.

I’m a fed. We do lots of legit great work. Sometimes, we screw up or go to far in some people’s opinion. All the great work we do doesn’t get us off the hook when we do something wrong. Accountability is accountability.

Upvote 0

tambs

Yo BD! Color Screens-Invented Mid '50s. Jus sayin.
    Oct 1, 2009
    Tri-Cities, WA
    Name
    Tom
    Boat
    "Bottom Line" - 25' Carolina Classic SF
    The only laws I'm aware of requiring a person to carry and display an ID relate to that person doing activities that are considered to be a 'privilege' by the government. Things such as driving a motor vehicle, hunting, fishing, drinking in a bar, or pretty much anything else a government charges a fee in order to generate revenue, er, I mean that they issue a license or permit for. If you are under arrest you must also produce an ID if you have one, but no law requires mandatory carry of a government ID if one isn't doing one of these 'privileged' activities. To be honest, the ID or permit is nothing more than a receipt verifying you have paid the taxes levied on that privilege. We aren't quite there yet where checkpoints are thrown up and chekist bastards demand 'Papers Please!' in order to move about, but it seems we're well on our way. How do we go about ordering up some of those F15's and Nukes that Biden says we should have?

Reactions: marlyn and goatram
    Upvote 0

tinmaniac

Almost A Member
    Jul 17, 2013
    Washington
    Name
    Bob
    Boat
    Sled
    Crock of shit spew right here! There is a big difference in complying when officer arrive who were called because you’re breaking the law and out of your fucking head on drugs, or you are violating a restraining order and pull a gun on officers!

You are an idiot to compare the two! I don’t believe in officers randomly harassing anyone people of color or otherwise… If I get caught in the act of a crime and then refuse to comply it is a completely different situation and I won’t pull a gun on law enforcement…. Duh!

so you support stop and frisk? What’s the problem if they aren’t doing something wrong?
    The guys with the guns and badges make the rules and I don't give a shit what they do.No Coke,whores or clown oil on my boat search away.

mrfish11

"Just a captain"
  • Aug 3, 2009
    Olympia,WA
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    Parker 2320, 17x60 Willies
    What about that time they wanted to stop us 3/4 of the way across the bar at ebb tied to check your registration and make sure we were over 20 ft? You know the time I’m talking about. That was a fucking joke.

Yes, and I simply told them it was unsafe to board me on that bar and they could meet me at the dock. On the other hand though, it sure makes me feel better when they are sitting there watching us cross on a shit ass bar that should have probably been a 30ft restriction in case something were to have gone haywire.

Upvote 0

RazorJack

Almost A Member
    May 20, 2013
    Hansville, WA
    Name
    Nick
    Boat
    19' Arima SR
    This is nothing new. CG has been calling boats headed out pretty regularly for as long as I've been working charters down here. Not a big deal.

You don't HAVE to answer them. I hear their calls go unanswered most every day.

This is the first year I've heard them hailing people as they come in, but going out, definitely nothing new.

Reactions: Genie Aye
    Upvote 0

TexMojoII

Well, Shit!
    Jul 18, 2010
    Lacey, Washington
    Name
    Larry
    Boat
    Parker 2820
    Officer Chadwick called me at home Tuesday afternoon. 2 days after I made the run. Said if he saw me Sunday he would have issued me a ticket. He didn't want to argue but did. He read the reg as I did. I did say there is a loop hole in the Regs. A court will have to figure it out. Law Enforcement does not make law. They can intimate. This is to keep our Sorry asses in line.

Interesting about the hands on I D checks and pictures. We are a Free and Sovereign people. If Washington State Law changed they did not make it know.
    Shit whole us is screaming about no I'd and vote, and then we get this bullshit. Almost sounds like they're creating a database for all frequent flyers on the water.

Upvote 0

goatram

Notable Member Gate Keeper to the Great Northwest
  • Apr 3, 2008
    Stanwood, WA
    Name
    grrrrrrrr
    Boat
    33' RBW MISS ELIZA
    My God don’t question gov authority Goat. After all your commander and chief threatened to use nukes and F 15’s if needed to keep you inline.
    I was instructed to stand down and allow the White Hats handle it. If all else fails then the tree of Liberty will drink.

What has me upset that there are some in Law Enforcement that forgot their Oath. In the military we had the Law of Armed Conflict. Lt Valley learned what happens to those that disregard said Laws. Elected Officials are committing offences that will come to haunt them in the very near future.

Reactions: marlyn
    Upvote 0

Captain Decent

The Bert makes ‘em Squirt
    Nov 2, 2017
    Covington, wa
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    The Bert Makes ’em Squirt
    Well well well. Where are the "when they save your sorry ass" boys?? Bootlickers.

If history has shown anything, govt overreach will occur anywhere not specifically prevented. They took a constitutional loophole intended to prevent piracy and construed it to search you for fucking expired flares and now random I'd checks.

Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jan 7, 2008
    Socal
    Name
    john
    Boat
    24 ft grady white
    I would suggest those that feel violated by simple CG inspections or a few questions DON'T call them if you're sinking.Jesus some of the shit people will cry about.

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    I would suggest those that feel violated by simple CG inspections or a few questions DON'T call them if you're sinking.Jesus some of the shit people will cry about.
    🖕. We pay their wages to do a job not harass us.

If we were talking about defunding them like the dumb ass defund the police movement your statement would have some validity….

Otherwise they are paid by us. As paid public employees they do jobs like a DMV worker, IRS worker, and many others…. As long as they are paid to train and do a job we will ask them to perform their job without overreaching.

Upvote 0

tacklejacked

Capt./ Ho if I get to drive
    Jun 2, 2009
    Seabeck
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    22 Hewescraft Searunner ET HT
    I don't think its the simple inspections. I don't mine them at all. They are an expected part of my marine travels. Just as local Leo and WDFW contacts are.

I've been boarded numerous times over the years. Always polite on both ends. No issues. No searches. Safety gear, captains credentials, have a nice day. I've also boarded thousands of vessels in my old life. So I know the routine.

Where I'm scratching my head is alleged photographing of Id's, people, etc during the boarding.... Why the need, what's the purpose, what happens with said photo's. Digital documentation is different than hand written and or Com's to dispatch. The courts have ruled on this fact.

That's my only hang up with this really.

If the CG wanted they could set up a check point at the marina and inspect every boat leaving but they don't. I think the shout outs are strictly safety related. But they can't require you to answer them.

Reactions: FishPimpII
    Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jan 7, 2008
    Socal
    Name
    john
    Boat
    24 ft grady white
    🖕. We pay their wages to do a job not harass us.

If we were talking about defunding them like the dumb ass defund the police movement your statement would have some validity….

Otherwise they are paid by us. As paid public employees they do jobs like a DMV worker, IRS worker, and many others…. As long as they are paid to train and do a job we will ask them to perform their job without overreaching.
    So you think because they're funded by taxpayer dollars you're their boss and get to tell them how to conduct business ? Doing routine safety inspections isn't harassment,it's part of their job.

Reactions: bducky
    Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    So you think because they're funded by taxpayer dollars you're their boss and get to tell them how to conduct business ? Doing routine safety inspections isn't harassment,it's part of their job.
    That’s not what I said and not what is being discussed here. We are not their boss… We pay their wages to do a job that has boundaries, sometimes boundaries get crossed over and we are allowed to question that without giving up our rights to other services.

Routine safety inspections is not being questioned… period… Those are part of their job and what they do…

If a DMV employee oversteps you can question it and still be allowed to use the services. If CG oversteps you can question it and still use services. If a cop oversteps you can question it and still use services…. Get it? Sometimes they are wrong too….

Last summer I was pulled over by a State Trooper while towing my boat. Big oversized load, I have the permit, signs front and rear and all the required stuff… been towing oversized load for 20 years… He proceeds to mix up commercial rules with private rules for licensing. He tells me I can’t haul my boat with the veteran plate on my truck and I have to have “heavy haul” plates, then he proceeded to tell me my mirrors were illegal and tell me I had to be able to see behind me and I needed mirrors wider than my 11’3” load (lanes are only 12’ wide)….. I told him the mirrors would hit opposing traffic….

Long story short… I took his abuse and BS for 30 minutes, left there and called his supervisor who confirmed he was incorrect on all level and all information. Wide load mirrors have to be able to see corners of the load only, my license and permit was in order…. The trooper works at the coast and has made it his personal mission to fuck with boat trailers and would have some remedial training…

speaking up did not effect my rights to utilize law enforcement services… get it?

Last edited:
    Reactions: marlyn and goatram
    Upvote 0

fishing fanatic

I Should Upgrade My Account
    May 12, 2008
    Alger, WA
    Name
    jason
    Boat
    28’ almar sounder //16' lavro
    Believe me I’ve been boarded by and had MANY safety inspections over the years and I’ve got zero problem with that as long as it’s done in an expedient and professional manner. The photo stop I had last time had zero to do with that and was absolute bullshit.

Reactions: goatram
    Upvote 0

bducky

• Jul 31, 2017
    elma
    Name
    bob
    Boat
    20 ft duckworth
    I feel a lot safer knowing they are out there and keeping an eye on us. Just knowing they are there is reassuring. Don't quite understand the attitude about being contacted and kept track of, they seem to think these guys are great when they pull us from the water dead or alive but not when they intrude on our privacy and time. Not sure why people would be upset when the govt. knows where you are, somebody got warrants? Just don't see how in any way this is overreach in the C.G.'s part.

Reactions: Mazu and plj46
    Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
    Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    It would seem some of you have landed on the
    "Googan Watchlist".

I commend the USCG for their astute eye.

Upvote 0

South Sounder

Skipper
    Jun 12, 2011
    South Sound/ WA/ USA
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    South Sounder
    The easy answer here is do a FOIA request and figure out the report snd the status of the photos taken and their purpose and retention schedule. You can then FOIA everything on that phone/ camera as if is gov property it cannot be deleted without a report and approval. So if the CG officer used his personal phone even better. He now lost all of his expectation of privacy to that phone and the FOIA request will now apply to his phone and you can access everything on it.

passengers do not need to provide ID. Just being close to the border does not circumvent federal and state laws. If the Prima Facie only indicated you are traveling and fishing And nothing else indicates a crime they do not have to provide ID let alone retain a photo.

So if the original post did happen and the photos were taken do a FOIA there’s a very short turn around to provide a response. My guess they were being lazy and taking pictures instead of writing down your “horsepower” to review later for their report. Nonetheless you now have them pinched and will get s answer to what you seek. It’s not a dick move just a legal way that gives you fact and not internet opinion.

Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    The easy answer here is do a FOIA request and figure out the report snd the status of the photos taken and their purpose and retention schedule. You can then FOIA everything on that phone/ camera as if is gov property it cannot be deleted without a report and approval. So if the CG officer used his personal phone even better. He now lost all of his expectation of privacy to that phone and the FOIA request will now apply to his phone and you can access everything on it.

passengers do not need to provide ID. Just being close to the border does not circumvent federal and state laws. If the Prima Facie only indicated you are traveling and fishing And nothing else indicates a crime they do not have to provide ID let alone retain a photo.

So if the original post did happen and the photos were taken do a FOIA there’s a very short turn around to provide a response. My guess they were being lazy and taking pictures instead of writing down your “horsepower” to review later for their report. Nonetheless you now have them pinched and will get s answer to what you seek. It’s not a dick move just a legal way that gives you fact and not internet opinion.
    That’s pretty clever… although they have a lot of time under FOIA…. It can take months… It is not a short turn around time…

Upvote 0