goatram

Notable Member Gate Keeper to the Great Northwest
  • Apr 3, 2008
    Stanwood, WA
    Name
    grrrrrrrr
    Boat
    33' RBW MISS ELIZA
    So two weeks ago I was headed out across the Bar and CG Tower Grey's Harbor called out to the Boat on the Bar. Me? Only boat out there at 0430hrs. So I answer up. They ask to go to 22A. I did. They asked me to:
    Identify.
    My Registration Numbers
    Number of Souls on board
    My Intentions
    When will I return.

First time in 13 years that this happened to me.
    Before I gave him the info I asked why he needed this info. Not normal. His response was just in case something happened they would need this info. I reluctantly gave it to him.

Today when I crossed the bar no call from them to me. BUT within 5 minutes he started calling boats out as they crossed the Bar. Went on for most of the morning calling, when answered asking to switch to 22A.

At 1530hrs he was calling on returning boats as well to switch to 22A to identify.

What has changed in the Regs or Requirements for them to know? We are not crossing into or returning from Canada so what is the Reasoning for this change? How far do we need allow this invasion of our Privacy. We are a Free People at this time. We don't need permission to leave our house, drive our car, leave Town, or leave the State. Now some may argue that it means nothing so give the info. But our Gov Inslee has overstepped his bounds in the last year.

Officer Chadwick overstepped his bounds by threatening me with a citation for fishing Halibut in area 3. Dropping my anchor (aka Landing) in Lapush, cleaning my Fish (processing) then returning to Westport with my days catch. Legal by the Regs as written. He, his Capt, and Tribal Cop sitting in his cruzer on the Lapush Jetty think otherwise. Area 3 has Quota but no open ports. Area 4 is the same with Neah Bay closed. ( Expensive Fish that day. 3 fish caught for 200miles traveled and 140gls gas burned.

Your thoughts on the Reasons and what I and you should do in the future? Ps I spent the last year not wearing the muzzle of a mask except to Costco and the Drs office. Steaks and Pain pills are required in my life. Life's a bitch and sometimes ya gotta take the fucking to live. BUTTTTT.......

goatram

• Apr 3, 2008
    Stanwood, WA
    Name
    grrrrrrrr
    Boat
    33' RBW MISS ELIZA
    Side note if the store, i.e. West Marine, Subway, Shell station in Westport requires me to wear one they loose my business. And no jab for me. That shit is crazy. But do your own research. HCQ or Ivermectin is a cure. No side effects unless your a goat.

Get woke go broke.

Last edited:

fishing fanatic

I Should Upgrade My Account
    May 12, 2008
    Alger, WA
    Name
    jason
    Boat
    28’ almar sounder //16' lavro
    Similar to your story John, when we were headed out in the strait from Friday harbor halibut fishing I got pulled over by the coast guard. They boarded but unlike any other time I’ve seen they waned id only from everyone. They took pics and ran the names as well as write a detailed description of the boat and before departing got about 15’ away and took several pictures. They claimed it was for SAR purposes. Kinda odd though as the chances of that same crew being with me is very slim. I’ve never seen anything like it. They also asked intent and return to port timing. ZERO safety gear check etc.

Reactions: ejn and goatram
    Upvote 0

sgwill122

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Feb 21, 2011
    Redmond/WA/USA
    Name
    Stephen
    Boat
    'Lady Karen' 28 Duckworth Offshore
    I know they started checking on boats leaving the bar end of last year as I got the call on my very last tuna run in October 2020. There were only two boats running and the water was nice. I assume they do it when it is slow. I am pretty sure you don't have to respond as I have heard several boats not do so this year.

I have been boarded by the coast guard a couple times in the San Juans. The first time it was just me and my family and they asked for everyones ID. I pushed back and asked why and what if somebody left their drivers license at home. He told me it was state law that everyone had to carry a state issued identification on them. I have no idea if that was true but sure felt like we were in a communist country.

FVSerenity
    FVSerenity
    Except if your going to vote, then you don’t need notin
    Upvote 0

kwik_wurk

Apr 10, 2012
    Indianola & Browns Point
    Name
    kwik_wurk
    Boat
    Montauk, Sailfish 2360, and Johnson18
    Interesting encounter with Chadwick (USCG?) was that in La Push proper inside the basin, or on approach?

Not sure how USCG and Gov Inslee are tied as USCG federal agency operating on their own accord? (Obviously the agencies cooperate, but very separate chain of command.). — Maybe there is an overvealous CO (Puget sound/columbia river), or maybe there is some intel, or maybe it’s all the floundering boats and lost crews (rip).

Give it a month when every tom, dick and harry is heading out the bar or into the San Juan’s.

This said, last time (few weeks ago) i was in the straights Sekui moving the boat (solo), i was stopped county sheriff; they were only interested in ID, port of origin and port of destination. I specifically asked why they did not hail me. Because they had to follow/catch up to me for 25min to get along side. — They had no good answer as to why not hail. (I was the only boat out there so nothing better to do.)

Upvote 0

kwik_wurk

Apr 10, 2012
    Indianola & Browns Point
    Name
    kwik_wurk
    Boat
    Montauk, Sailfish 2360, and Johnson18
    Also, i keep color photo copies of family id’s in the boat, along with reg and insurance and certs. Makes it much easier to hand over a zip lock with everything on 3 pages and tell them if they want originals “give me a minute”…

They seem to appreciate the clean paperwork….(so far)

Upvote 0

goatram

• Apr 3, 2008
    Stanwood, WA
    Name
    grrrrrrrr
    Boat
    33' RBW MISS ELIZA
    Officer Chadwick called me at home Tuesday afternoon. 2 days after I made the run. Said if he saw me Sunday he would have issued me a ticket. He didn't want to argue but did. He read the reg as I did. I did say there is a loop hole in the Regs. A court will have to figure it out. Law Enforcement does not make law. They can intimate. This is to keep our Sorry asses in line.

Interesting about the hands on I D checks and pictures. We are a Free and Sovereign people. If Washington State Law changed they did not make it know.

Upvote 0

Swede

Yachtless
  • May 2, 2008
    Pacific Northwest
    Name
    Swede
    Boat
    Kristen Lee
    They were doing this beginning of halibut season. One boat answered. Hammered them with a ton of questions forever. We were chuckling. Figured training exercises for new recruits.

Reactions: goatram
    Upvote 0

Elkfins

Ungrateful Prick
    Aug 8, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    "Cleanup Required" '99 Grady White 232 Gulfstream
    I experienced this a few years back. There was a bar restriction in place earlier in the morning and they had just lifted it. There were a number of boats crossing and they were calling out to most of them but didn't have specific names or numbers so they were just calling vague descriptions of the vessels "white fishing boat", "aluminum pilot house boat", etc. When someone would answer, they'd ask them to switch to 22a and then ask the above mentioned questions.
    I didn't answer any of the hails and just went about my day. Crossed the bar, went salmon fishing and came back in several hours later with no incident.

Upvote 0

goatram

• Apr 3, 2008
    Stanwood, WA
    Name
    grrrrrrrr
    Boat
    33' RBW MISS ELIZA
    Also, i keep color photo copies of family id’s in the boat, along with reg and insurance and certs. Makes it much easier to hand over a zip lock with everything on 3 pages and tell them if they want originals “give me a minute”…

They seem to appreciate the clean paperwork….(so far)
    Not happing on my boat. Sorry that is Way More Info than they need. If your stopped in your car they need Probable Cause to search your car and an infraction committed to Id. Unless your on a res or in Kalli to do drinking drunk while driving stops.

Reactions: FVSerenity
    Upvote 0

tacklejacked

Capt./ Ho if I get to drive
    Jun 2, 2009
    Seabeck
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    22 Hewescraft Searunner ET HT
    Hmm ..

The halibut retention, possession is a sketchy line .. you'd loose that one in court. Only way to get away with it is prove your living on boat for the time and have fish vac sealed and frozen on board. I know a few guys that do it without issues.

The CG hail for info is not abnormal.. just ignore them if your not in the mood. No law requires it...

Boardings are fine .. expected actually...

Where I run into a huh? moment is the proof of and photographing of occupants I'D. Technically that's a detention for investigative purposes and photographing I'd is considered a seizure. It becomes USCGs property thus requiring a report and documentation of what happened with that photo. They can write down all your info, give it to dispatch etc... pic's...hmm...no.

The only person's required to show I'd are the operator and anyone involved in an activity that requires a license..ie fishing etc... obviously running around in waters near Canada you'll be scrutinized more for I'd.

I respect the CG guys and personally know quite a few ...but my annoyed side might come out if they wanted to start taking a bunch of pics while on my boat...get off you can take all you want...my expectation of privacy is backed by law on my boat.

Rant over.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
    Dec 12, 2007
    Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
    Name
    Rick
    Boat
    Yes
    Officer Chadwick called me at home Tuesday afternoon. 2 days after I made the run. Said if he saw me Sunday he would have issued me a ticket. He didn't want to argue but did. He read the reg as I did. I did say there is a loop hole in the Regs. A court will have to figure it out. Law Enforcement does not make law. They can intimate. This is to keep our Sorry asses in line.

Interesting about the hands on I D checks and pictures. We are a Free and Sovereign people. If Washington State Law changed they did not make it know.
    I don't doubt that Washington law requires adults to carry id when in public. But, I believe they need probable cause to ask for it, on land. On water, the rules are a little different, starting with no probable cause is required (by US Constitution) for even a search.

Reactions: Genie Aye
    Upvote 0

tacklejacked

Capt./ Ho if I get to drive
    Jun 2, 2009
    Seabeck
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    22 Hewescraft Searunner ET HT
    I don't doubt that Washington law requires adults to carry id when in public. But, I believe they need probable cause to ask for it, on land. On water, the rules are a little different, starting with no probable cause is required (by US Constitution) for even a search.
    Correct..they may board and search as authorized by the constitution and that is supported by courts...

The photographing of people, I'd etc is gathering evidence... that's where I have issues. Although it's never happened to me so I guess my curiosity is from other's experiences...I'm going to reach out to a guy I know and see what the deal is... sometimes a new commander comes in a changes thing's up. It definitely could be border closure covid directive, but still.

openclass

Slam
  • May 28, 2009
    Napa
    Name
    Rick
    Boat
    Parker 2820
    Start filing complaints (attitude complaints are effective too) and escalate them until you find the source of the new policy or simply ask a someone from the coast guard away from that situation. Its not done where I'm from In the SF bay area so I'm guessing it's the local commander or whoever. Seems kinda far away from the southern border to be a contraband issue. At face value it appears that they are on a bit of a power trip.

Upvote 0

xtshawytscha

May 14, 2011
    Forks, WA, USA
    Name
    Eric
    Boat
    Cabin Fever - C Hawk 245
    I noticed aggressive CG actions when we were shrimping a few weeks ago in the canal. Looked like they were practicing high speed maneuvers and then just pulling up and doing normal boardings. Lights flashing and the whole nine yards. I appreciate them and love what they do, but it's getting silly when you can't go enjoy a day on the water without being treated like you've done something wrong, while real crime is occurring and basically being ignored on land.

Upvote 0

Salmon Hunter

Apr 29, 2010
    West Richland WA
    Name
    Rick
    Boat
    19’ Northwest Jet
    I know they started checking on boats leaving the bar end of last year as I got the call on my very last tuna run in October 2020. There were only two boats running and the water was nice. I assume they do it when it is slow. I am pretty sure you don't have to respond as I have heard several boats not do so this year.

I have been boarded by the coast guard a couple times in the San Juans. The first time it was just me and my family and they asked for everyones ID. I pushed back and asked why and what if somebody left their drivers license at home. He told me it was state law that everyone had to carry a state issued identification on them. I have no idea if that was true but sure felt like we were in a communist country
    Hmm ..

The halibut retention, possession is a sketchy line .. you'd loose that one in court. Only way to get away with it is prove your living on boat for the time and have fish vac sealed and frozen on board. I know a few guys that do it without issues.

The CG hail for info is not abnormal.. just ignore them if your not in the mood. No law requires it...

Boardings are fine .. expected actually...

Where I run into a huh? moment is the proof of and photographing of occupants I'D. Technically that's a detention for investigative purposes and photographing I'd is considered a seizure. It becomes USCGs property thus requiring a report and documentation of what happened with that photo. They can write down all your info, give it to dispatch etc... pic's...hmm...no.

The only person's required to show I'd are the operator and anyone involved in an activity that requires a license..ie fishing etc... obviously running around in waters near Canada you'll be scrutinized more for I'd.

I respect the CG guys and personally know quite a few ...but my annoyed side might come out if they wanted to start taking a bunch of pics while on my boat...get off you can take all you want...my expectation of privacy is backed by law on my boat.

Rant over.
    I believe whether the photos are seizure or not would depend on the context. If the are up told it was mandatory, close, up and further delaying you being on your way, then it would be a seizure. If you are talking about them taking pics once you have been cut loose, it’s probably fair game for them. As a retired LEO, this seems like very odd behavior in light of how LE activity is been scrutinized right now.

Reactions: goatram
    Upvote 0

sharkster

Almost A Member
    Aug 4, 2008
    Westport wa usa
    Name
    Robert Anderson
    Boat
    17 Arima Sharkster
    When they ask permission to come aboard tell them ok but have to take their shoes off. Do not want black scuff marks on your deck.

P
    Pipe Dream
    Funny as that brings back an incident with a now retired Deputy Chief of WDFW's LE folks. He went up to my brother's beach place and asked if he had any crab. When told no, no crab, he said he wanted to search. My brother told him no probable cause but he could come in if he took off his black combat boots (didn't want black scuff marks on the floor). Deputy Chief decided to keep his boots on - no search.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

mrfish11

"Just a captain"
  • Aug 3, 2009
    Olympia,WA
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    Parker 2320, 17x60 Willies
    You guys seem awful sore about something that seems pretty no brainer to me. If I'm crossing and they call me and ask how many I have onboard I will just take it as one extra set of eyes who knows i am headed out and a little better chance of me being found if something goes wrong. I have one hell of a time ever talking shit about the best resource we have available to us to save our lives on the big blue.

Just my two cents, but go ahead and tear me apart for all your rights you claim they are breaking.

bdrlgion

Apr 11, 2014
    Seattle
    Name
    "Mulligan"
    Boat
    18' Tiderunner Runabout
    You guys seem awful sore about something that seems pretty no brainer to me. If I'm crossing and they call me and ask how many I have onboard I will just take it as one extra set of eyes who knows i am headed out and a little better chance of me being found if something goes wrong. I have one hell of a time ever talking shit about the best resource we have available to us to save our lives on the big blue.

Just my two cents, but go ahead and tear me apart for all your rights you claim they are breaking.
    seconded

EJ Swanny

Three Generations of Uff-Dah
    Nov 30, 2010
    Redondo/WA
    Name
    Erik
    Boat
    "Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
    To me it's a slippery slope.....they get away with one thing, we turn a blind eye, then another, then another....before we know it KAPOW....we're not "FREE" anymore, we're a "monitored" police state.

Safety is one thing, and I am 100% for anything that will help make the fleet safer, but borderline harassment, intimidation, and just plain rude behavior is another. It's turning into guilty until proven innocent these days.....

Upvote 0

tambs

Yo BD! Color Screens-Invented Mid '50s. Jus sayin.
    Oct 1, 2009
    Tri-Cities, WA
    Name
    Tom
    Boat
    "Bottom Line" - 25' Carolina Classic SF
    Goat, you could avoid giving the info by simply answering up on 22 that while you appreciate their concern for your welfare, you have filed a float plan with a responsible person and they will reach out to the CG if you aren't back by the 'overdue' time designated in the float plan. "Out".

Upvote 0