CO M/L Deer

Discussion in 'Mammal Hunting Reports' started by jimikinz, Sep 24, 2014.

1. jimikinz

jimikinz Member

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Sucker Fish III
    Just got back (on Saturday) from 7 glorious days of ML hunting. Every year the shock to my system that comes from forcing myself into the grind of working life gets harder....but enough of that. On to the fun stuff.

Packed in the day before the opener about 2 miles. Holy shit, it was crowded. Never seen it like that before. I got kind of bummed, but then decided I better make the best of it, try to figure out the best way to hunt pressured animals, and get after it. I had to make a new game plan based on the pressure, but thats was keeps in ineresting I guess.

Fast forward a couple days, I have not seen shit. Nobody I talked to has seen anything. I mean nothing. I'm sure that the 50 guys tramping around in there didn't help, ha! I decide I better start getting up earlier, walking farther, and get myself back into the nastiest, most secure stuff I could find. Hunt slow, stay quiet, and keep moving.

Now I'm no trophy hunter, and I'm limited in range with my flintlock, so I don't hesitate at all to shoot stuff. Given that I'm in CO, I would probably not shoot a fork ( though it would be tough for me to hold off, ha!) but anything better than that is going down - especially given how much pressure there was, and how few deer were moving.

So early morning of day 4, I hear that dreaded THUMP-THUMP-Thump of a deer stotting off. I got a quick look, saw antlers, and was off. Wet ground, soft shoes, and I was in there like a ghost. I followed for about 100 yards, getting glimpses of a white rump, or some ears looking back at me. I was surprised, but I was closing the distance. The wind was coming across me, and he finally decided to try and swing around to cut my wind. I knew that was my all-or-nothing moment. There was a lot of junk btween us to my right, so I made a fast move about 20 yards, got on one knee, and put my gun up in an opening. He trotted by - damn! I took three big steps right, and just as I was kneeling, he came through, my movement stopped him, and Klatch-Bang, big belch of smoke.

Man it felt like I missed. I mean I felt like I rushed it really bad. That is a sinking feeling. I told myself I would give it 15 minutes, then sneak up there and look for some sign with fingers crossed. I really didn't want to wound a deer, so that is what I was most worried about. After just a minute or so, I rolled onto both knees to get in a better position to wait. I scanned around and DAMN! right there through an opening is my buck, standing hunched up, blood running out of his mouth. He was about 30 feet from where he was when I shot him. Then he layed down right there as I was watching, sat for about 5 seconds, then layed his head down, and it was all over! Phew - emotional roller coaster.

I could not be happier about this trip. Got him boned out and hung in a tree, then a long hike to geta pack, and off to the truck with one real heavy load. I think a boned out CO deer is about as heavy as a live CA deer! My hips paid the price on that one.
    [​IMG]

So now that was done, so I spent the next morning with the smooth-bore looking for grouse, and managed a couple of those sneaky little buggers. A perfect topper to a perfect trip!
    [​IMG]

Blackfish and chad gee like this.
  2. stairman

stairman ......

Name:
    doug
    Boat:
    yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
    nice report...just wondering what ML hunting means

3. jimikinz

jimikinz Member

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Sucker Fish III
    Muzzleloader

4. gved823

gved823 Member

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    Sold
    Muzzle loader

5. baboltin

baboltin Member

Name:
    Brad
    Boat:
    n/a
    very cool using the old school ML congrats

6. stairman

stairman ......

Name:
    doug
    Boat:
    yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
    duh.....

7. lee337

lee337 ahuntnfisherman

Name:
    larry lee
    Boat:
    bass boat
    Nice!!!

8. Roger Gordon

Roger Gordon Member

Name:
    Roger
    Boat:
    60 Hateras
    great success

9. el Toro

el Toro I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Nate
    Boat:
    Artemis
    Now that is bad ass! I love your approach. "Klatch -bang" is a great description and I canjust hear that. Can you elaborate more on your rifle and load set up? Primitive stuff fascinates me.

Just a suggestion, get a pack that will expand and carry a serious load. The two trips, one to go fetch pack, is just wasted energy. Stone Glacier, Kifaru, or Mystery Ranch all make packs that will compress into little day packs, yet expand and use a sling system to carry 100lb loads easily. I've carried out entire deer and pigs in one load too many times to count in relative comfort. PM me if you want some specifics, and or pros and cons. I've done the research and have owned them all.

10. jimikinz

jimikinz Member

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Sucker Fish III
    Nate,

I am a one rifle guy. A couple years ago I bought what will be my final big game rifle. It is .58 caliber, 38" swamped barrell - swamped means that it is skinnier in the middle. It tapers down to about 2/3 a barrel length then tapers back up to a width almost the same as at the breach. This really improves balance, and it just shoulders and hangs like a dream. I shoot a .562 ball with a .020 cotton patch over 100 grains of FFFG powder.
    [​IMG]

I also have this 20GA, 42" barrell smooth bore that I shoot shot out of for birds or rabbits or turkeys (ya right,,,ha!). I built this gun from a set of metal parts and a block of maple! ...and it actually works. For birds I shoot about 60 grains of FFFG with a hard wad and a cushon wad over the powder, followed by shot and then a thin card over that to keep the shot from rolling out.
    [​IMG]

All this stuff is a kind of a "labor of love" in the sense that its a pain in the ass compared to modern stuff, but I dig it. I think the process is a big part of it for me.

I do have a Eberlestock "just One" pack that is great, and I've used it to haul out several deer. I don't carry it around all day because I am a part of this group of dudes that try to hunt and camp, etc. as if it were 1830 or thereabouts. So, I have my primitive camp, and my primitive gear, and I really strive to be accurate. By killing this animal out of a strictly primitive camp, I achieve one of the many requirements on my way towards a set of goals for the club.

So I spent the trip sleeping in a camp like this:
    [​IMG]

And I go into it knowing that the pain and discomfort is part of the deal. I'm really to the point now where I don't need anything modern to do my hunts, which is really cool to me.

I have said way too much.....the dork radar is screaming....haha!

lee337 and gatorfan like this.
  11. gatorfan

gatorfan Chief

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    tube
    Dork radar my ass. That is about as bad ass as it gets!

12. el Toro

el Toro I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Nate
    Boat:
    Artemis
    Yep, dork radar is pegged on high, but still super cool. I get it, respect and admire your choices. That must be very satisfying to kill deer in that manner. Fine job!

Blackfish likes this.
  13. Anello

Anello Giddy Up!!!

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    No
    Confirmed on the dork radar. However, that is truly as primitive as it gets with a rifle. Congrats, and please post up more of these reports. I dig the old school methods.

14. Vermonster

Vermonster Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Sean
    Boat:
    I'm a Ho'.....
    Awesome Jim! Congrats!!!