RyanErb

Love to fish!
  • Aug 7, 2012
    All over the 805
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    OnTheWater
    The #1 thing I hear from people is "DON'T FOLLOW THE FLEET", don't follow the sport boats, go find your own fish.

I'm only confused because when you look at AIS, all the 'professional' sport boat captains are sitting in parking lot together in a 1/2 mile radius on top of each other....

So if we aren't supposed to follow the fleet, why are the top notch professional sport boat captains all sitting on top of each other? Don't they have the confidence to go 'find their own fish'?

Just wondering...

tony38
    tony38
    not only that, I seen many many popular sport boats gets in the private boaters chum and almost hit them while the private boater where there first , whats up with that
    Upvote 0

RyanErb

Love to fish!
  • Aug 7, 2012
    All over the 805
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    OnTheWater
    They are in that area because its easy money. All the 30 -70# fish you want. Long and i mean long drifts, easy on the crew and fishers.
    I don't blame em, but then I hope they don't blame others when everyone else shows up to the 'fleet' to pick off a few. I guess if everyone is happy in the parking lot and catching fish, then let it ride!

Shane R

Almost A Member
    Jul 30, 2020
    Yucca Valley
    Name
    Shane Reil
    Boat
    Next year hopefully
    First off no one owns that spot where they mark fish. So yes follow them if that's what you want to do. Just be respectful. If the boat you follow out starts fishing keep moving go find your own school to fish. If you find a good bite and limit out call in the boat you followed and lead you to the fishing grounds. Make friends with a few captains on other boats, charter or private. Give them a call when you are catching fish and they will do the same. I have seen it work.
    Remember charter boats are trying to fill the boat to pay there bills.

Reactions: marlyn
    Upvote 0

RyanErb

Love to fish!
  • Aug 7, 2012
    All over the 805
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    OnTheWater
    You can break it down to go find your own paddy or stay out of the chum line. There's a difference between being in the vicinity of and downright setting up on top of each other.
    I 100% agree with this. Stay out of the chumline. Being in the 1 mile radius vicinity is much more manageable. It's nice to see when everyone works together and everyone catches fish. I'm all about everyone having a fun, safe, successful day on the water. Sadly, a few idiots or disrespectful guys can ruin that, but hopefully 90% of the guys are good guys!

Reactions: Tackleho619
    Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jan 7, 2008
    Socal
    Name
    john
    Boat
    24 ft grady white
    I 100% agree with this. Stay out of the chumline. Being in the 1 mile radius vicinity is much more manageable. It's nice to see when everyone works together and everyone catches fish. I'm all about everyone having a fun, safe, successful day on the water. Sadly, a few idiots or disrespectful guys can ruin that, but hopefully 90% of the guys are good guys!
    90% good guys ? You're very optimistic.

Reactions: sickcat
    Upvote 0

mahi

Jan 5, 2005
    laguna niguel
    Name
    Bob
    Boat
    Henriques 28 Express
    When you hear, "Do Not Follow the Fleet", that really means private boats should not follow the sport boats. The sport fleet always share numbers.

Upvote 0