Clipperton... let's hear those stories.

tuna332

Nov 18, 2011
encinitas/ca/usa
Name
eric
Boat
long range fleet
Went there in 2002, it's quite the boat ride. i rode the boat all the way down, it took almost 7 days to get there because we made bait along the way. (don't think you can make bait there). It's an adventure of a lifetime for any serious long ranger. most of the big fish were at night using big black skip jack man baits, thankful for the night bite because it's hotter than hell in the day. got to go on the island, getting on the island is an adventure in it's self. (jumping off the skiff in chest high water and walking the skiff in through a coral reef). The reef fishing is insane.

Holi-e-Mackeral
Holi-e-Mackeral
Yes, we always made bait at the atoll, rainbow runners, tube mackeral and flyers.
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Zeke66

Dec 11, 2015
OC
Name
Mark Gregg
Boat
reload
As Jim Carrey would Historically say in Dumb and Dumber :
"So you're saying there's a chance ? "

I was just going through some storage in the garage
and I came across this book I read 10 or so years back .
good timing for sure on finding it.
coincidence or not.

so let's hear some of the tales and stories; good and bad. I am sure I have heard a few but let's hear them again
as the years can make the tales grow bigger.

"If" there was a chance to go there- whether it was for a few hours or days.. what would you bring in addition to the normal gear for a 16 day + trip?

View attachment 1337129
I want to hear the Watermelon story again, involving the scientist one of the boats picked up. I read it on hear a few years back.

Reactions: vegasandre
Upvote 0

Holi-e-Mackeral

Holi-e-Mackeral
Jul 10, 2003
Orange County, CA
Visit site
Name
Jeff
Boat
Royal Polaris - sold the boat
For Zeke,

I was on the Clipperton trip (Royal Polaris) where we had 2 guys from National Geographic on the boat.. One would be dropped off on the atoll to film a documentary, the other was a photographer who would spend a couple of days with him and return with us on the boat.. (the other guy was picked up by another boat a month later).

Now, on this trip, the heat was opressive to put it mildly.. the photographer returned to the boat after 3 days or so on the atoll. I watched him speed to the barely air conditioned galley, sit down and eat what appeared to be an entire watermelon, and then spend the next 15 min guzzling water...

Photo below with the Natgeo, reporter "Lance" when he unloaded on the beach.. The other is the catch from our last night/morning on another trip.. wfo bite on straight cows, if you look closely, you will find Wahoo-Dad on the far left side of the photo.

Jeff.

Jeff with Lance from National Greographic on Clipperton (2).jpg

Clipperton cow catch on the RP.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tunacraze

• Nov 27, 2006
    Santee
    Name
    Steve Brunton
    Boat
    The Big Ones
    Yeah, it's funny because the heat doesn't come up often about that place, but when it does get mentioned the memories and comments start flowing!

Upvote 0

Zeke66

Dec 11, 2015
    OC
    Name
    Mark Gregg
    Boat
    reload
    For Zeke,

I was on the Clipperton trip (Royal Polaris) where we had 2 guys from National Geographic on the boat.. One would be dropped off on the atoll to film a documentary, the other was a photographer who would spend a couple of days with him and return with us on the boat.. (the other guy was picked up by another boat a month later).

Now, on this trip, the heat was opressive to put it mildly.. the photographer returned to the boat after 3 days or so on the atoll. I watched him speed to the barely air conditioned galley, sit down and eat what appeared to be an entire watermelon, and then spend the next 15 min guzzling water...

Jeff.
    That's the one... : )

Reactions: vegasandre
    Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 11, 2003
    Costa Rica
    Name
    Brad Baron
    Boat
    Royal Polaris
    That is a great video. The burly dudes that went to Clip back then. Were no milk and cookie anglers.

Sounded like the boat had anchovies for chum and made caballito at benedicto island. Then ran to clipperton. Wonder if the anchovies survived the warmer water?

I flew down to PV and flew back from Cabo 15/22 day. The (2 week work vacation) is the only reason. I did not ride down and ride back. It's the same cost! Floating ocean hotel with bomb food and some very good fisherman to hang with. Getting pumped and confident

Zero sardines brought

The RP prearranged boxes of live caballito in Cabo San Lucas. On the way down the boat picked up a few thousand pieces. That was nice

Then just in front of PV central. We made a few thousand more caballito.

I really like cabs for bait. Fish really fire up on them. Strong swimmers and taste good

We brought cabs to hurricane bank with zero sardines. And the big yellowfin really enjoyed them. I caught 6 big YFT on flyline cabs at HB in 4 days. Ripping strikes. Got a 209 on double trouble cabs. Big chunk fish and big iron fish. Fun trip. Huge YFT love cabs

The bird life is unreal. I just had a 4 mega pixel camera back then

113941-1117567805-574260d1664e30560ec358bb0d2190bb (1).jpg

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Costa Rica
    Name
    Brad Baron
    Boat
    Royal Polaris
    The bird life is so heavy and radical. Frank taught me when. Don't cast/lob a bait far. Or you will get bird bit. Look around and make sure no bird is eye balling you before you deploy the bait. Then drop the bait litteraly straight down but hold the bait until it will take off in the right direction.

Cabs don't need to be lobbed anyways. They take off and it's better to hold the cab and control the direction the bait takes off in.

Holi-e-Mackeral
    Holi-e-Mackeral
    The birds are so bad, that if you cast a bait, a bird will fly into your line on a large percentage of your casts... They are so bad that they will dive on the mauraders when trolling for wahoo.. often getting hooked on the troll lures
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

joetunaguy

Almost A Member
    Jan 11, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    Karl
    Boat
    17',BW, kelpcutter
    I went there once and had a trip of a life time experience . Got on the island with Jack Nielson 2x. Won an accurate reel . Now I shake some coral remember the surf sound Memories :) VERY Sun Burnt ! 3 skin change before somewhat normai color ! ( with sunscreen hat glasses .. too hot for longsleeve white)

thumbnail_1.jpg

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Costa Rica
    Name
    Brad Baron
    Boat
    Royal Polaris
    Clipperton reef fly fishing. Has accounted for numerous records. Some reports out there. The reason why I wanted to skiff fish or beach fish. I started out beach fishing and lagoon fishing as a child. After school or the weekend. Backyard self taught with a handline.

Shogun 2013 fly fishing trip. I would had been using a 10 footer with a Newell and a 7x booger :D

Reactions: scotth and popx5
    Upvote 0

Brass_Slacks

Oct 30, 2014
    Name
    Hank
    Boat
    Public
    Big issue preventing another Clipperton trip is the fuel and France/Mexico fighting over who controls the rights to be there isn’t it?
    Didn’t the rooster get chased out of there but a French Destroyer and then a hurricane in 02/03?

Upvote 0

newtauk17

Almost A Member
    Feb 5, 2010
    Arroyo Grande/CA/USA
    Name
    Kohei
    Boat
    18',Robalo
    While I did not go to Clipperton, I did have the privilege of fishing with some of the folks on the 1983 trip - on other long trips and working with some of the crew. Most of the ones I did not fish with came into Yo's while I was working there. I didn't see Butch's name on the roster. What a fishing machine he was (still is) - he still fishes, just not tuna fishing. Many of those folks have passed on - passengers and crew. While Clipperton fishing was good for the most part - I think the islands above were as good or better. It's really too bad Old Smokey, Partida and Socorro are closed off now. The long trips a while back did not go to Clarion unless the three closer islands were off. And Hurricane? Forget about it. Too far out of the way. I do not recall anybody fishing the Tres Marias back then. And the relatively archaic tackle we all used back then...along with the 9 lb spools of 100#....

Upvote 0

bobby7321

Almost A Member
    Aug 6, 2008
    Visalia, CA
    Name
    Bobby
    Boat
    10' jon boat
    My dad went a few times on the Q105. I think mostly in the late 90s early 2000s. I'm pretty sure he was one of the few that would ride the boat the entire way every time he went. I always hoped to make it back with him but that wasn't in the cards. Hopefully, I'll make the trip myself here at some point if any boats are still going.

Still have this on VHS

Clipperton The Island Time Forgot

Reactions: beavisjohn
    Upvote 0

Scold

Yes, that's my back.
    Dec 1, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Name
    Jon
    Boat
    N/A :(
    The video that got me interested in LR fishing when I was like 10 years old was called Ocean Fighter and it showed a clipperton trip aboard the Qualifier Excel with Randy at the helm. I lost that vhs ages ago so if anyone has a link to a digital copy or if it’s uploaded anywhere I would very much appreciate it. Ever since first seeing that video in the mid 90’s, clipperton has been a bucket list spot for me.

Upvote 0