Holi-e-Mackeral
Jul 10, 2003
Orange County, CA
Visit site
Name
Jeff
Boat
Royal Polaris - sold the boat
I've been fortunate to fish the atoll 5 times.. It provides some amazing photo opportunities... Fishing varies... The heat can be unbearable.. 110 deg, 100 percent humidity etc... makes the Hurricane bank seem like Minnesota. (all of my trips were in April/May).. on some of them, the weather was only "Damm hot" others, you would run inside when the boat trolled for wahoo.. just too hot to sit out and wait for a troll stop...
Did fish the beach on one of the trips... the reef fishing was amazing...

Jeff.

Sunset at Clipperton Atoll scenic.JPG

P4150073.JPG

P4200142.JPG

IMG_3256.JPG

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 11, 2003
Costa Rica
Name
Brad Baron
Boat
Royal Polaris
Retelling but to the point

A LR captain and fishers. Went skiff fishing at Clip. The captain fired a 7x on a 10 footer with a Newell 533, obviously a Newell back then :D

A 500 pound black marlin. Ate the 7x in the reef key hole. A few hundred feet from the shore

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Costa Rica
Name
Brad Baron
Boat
Royal Polaris
PV 2002
FB_IMG_1638329835634.jpg

PV to Clip 2004

152200-1227024525-83c096b2e8060e5b2473ddfabd0c6158 (2).jpg

Will invest in Osunas. Did get 1 sailfish in 2007 on a family PV vacation with them. As some big tuna blew out in the distance. While fkng around with a sailfish

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AZChrome

Aug 16, 2021
AZ
Name
Spencer
Boat
No boat
Wild timing for this post. I was just speaking with Steve Carson about Clipperton and how wild that place is last night on FB. Absolutely one of my favorite places to head about and can only dream of being able to visit it some day.

Reactions: Tunahead
Upvote 0

BlueFinGrin

Bad Things Happen On Big Fish...
  • Apr 8, 2006
    Blue Marble
    Name
    Grinner
    Boat
    A Big One That Floats
    I've posted up a few trip recaps about Clipperton here in the recent past. This long range sports-fishing destination is undoubtedly the greatest sport-boat adventure offered by the San Diego fleet. The ride down, and back - is unmatched by any comparison. The Biosphere... (untamed), alone at the Atoll is like sitting front row during a National Geographic Traveller's Masterclass. Fishing down there can be Feast-or-Famine. Without exception, all of my trips there happily were... "Feast-Weeks". The hi-jinks (Crew & Anglers) during this extended voyage are always off-the-hook... (be prepared!!!) - because, before you realize it, you are back in port at Cabo. And that's..., another story all and in itself.

Upvote 0

nicodemus

Fish, he said softly, aloud. I’ll stay with you...
    Apr 10, 2012
    The 505
    Name
    Nick B
    Boat
    African Queen
    Damn! So cool, thanks for sharing.

Reactions: vegasandre
    Upvote 0

BlueFinGrin

Bad Things Happen On Big Fish...
  • Apr 8, 2006
    Blue Marble
    Name
    Grinner
    Boat
    A Big One That Floats
    Just found this Gem..
    the First trip to Clipperton on the RP in 1983 .
    some bitchin' video.. part 1
    Yep, remember this vividly. Even way back then..., (and still to this present day) Leon Todd's rod building knowledge and craftsmanship can be seen kicking-ass and taking names. Many are unaware of this, but he once told me that he NEVER wrapped a single rod in his entire life. RIP my friend.

Can't leave this without saying hat's off to Randy and Bill. Their products are simply an awesome option to anyone currently joining in on this incredibly wonderful past time

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Al B.Fishing

Aug 17, 2012
    hb ca usa
    Name
    gary
    Boat
    n/a
    Thank you for the Color photos as that video and narration as awesome as it was made it feel like 80 years ago😂 Remember the trip and was not on it,but see some familiar faces for sure. If a boat fished there again,rest assured as to going to the atoll to stroll that may never happen again, you are fortunate to be able to say you did👍🏽

Upvote 0

pgangler

12Wt
    Jul 25, 2012
    Pacific Grove, Calif
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    Was Cabo35, now GW Gulfstream
    Very, very cool vid - old school Penn 50's and mono; anglers did most of the work - win or lose. A real shame that RSW didn't exist then (and probably wouldn't have helped over that distance/time scale).

Makes me thankful for all of the years of great memories the SDLR fleet, their captains and crews and staff have bestowed upon us who are so deeply afflicted with this disease. Many of the happiest times of my life have been on SDLR boats, especially the Bird.

Upvote 0

tunacraze

• Nov 27, 2006
    Santee
    Name
    Steve Brunton
    Boat
    The Big Ones
    Can anybody put names to faces of the crew in the video? I know Frank and Steve, but what about the rest of the crew?

Upvote 0

tunachris

Oct 16, 2005
    Azusa, CA
    Name
    Chris Lomax
    Boat
    none
    Fished Clipperton on the Star in 2012. Tough fish, long lean and hungry. Remember getting a lot of baits taken by porpoise. Very tough fish, plus super strong current. Not easy to grind on tuna with that current adding to the chore. I think my biggest was about 175~180, and it fought like a much bigger fish. We did the trip out of Cabo as a 14 day, and stopped at Benedicto on the way out to make cabbies.

At one point we came on a meatball of small blue runners, and managed to fill a bait well with them. Worked like a charm on the tuna. No wahoo to speak of though.

Reactions: ZZZZZ
    Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Costa Rica
    Name
    Brad Baron
    Boat
    Royal Polaris
    I have never witnessed a current that strong. That is not generated by a river mouth

Don't put the reel in gear. Eventually the mammal will drop it and get bored. If the reel does not go into gear. The porpoise can not steal the bait

Bait/Cab will be a natural pin cushion wounded. But way out there from porpoise assistance. Part of the food chain with a wounded hooked bait

We only stayed 2.5 days at Clip. But I got both my 70ishes doing that. Eventually the porpoise dropped the bait and moved on.

Upvote 0

AKSalmon

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 15, 2006
    Juneau, Alaska
    Name
    Bill Brown
    Boat
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    Great video! But I'm curious, when the boat came in with 800 tuna, how much blow back was there from the non-fishing community? Some of those tuna may not have made it all the way to the dinner table...

Upvote 0

Holi-e-Mackeral

Holi-e-Mackeral
    Jul 10, 2003
    Orange County, CA
    Visit site
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    Royal Polaris - sold the boat
    Yes, when fishing at night with big baits, ie: rainbow runners (some of them 6 to 10 pounds ) or skippies.. the porpoise would pick up your bait, and move off with it.. The second you put your reel in gear, they would drop it... only to do it again and again, until they pulled the bait from your hook... As a side note, we did hook several porpoise each trip when they did get hooked... They usually would come to the boat very easily for a quick release. (unharmed).

One more thing, on one trip we had pretty good fishing at night fishing chunks.. (also during the day)

Jeff.

Upvote 0