San Diego
Name
Andre
Boat
Any Boat that I can go on
As Jim Carrey would Historically say in Dumb and Dumber :
"So you're saying there's a chance ? "

I was just going through some storage in the garage
and I came across this book I read 10 or so years back .
good timing for sure on finding it.
coincidence or not.

so let's hear some of the tales and stories; good and bad. I am sure I have heard a few but let's hear them again
as the years can make the tales grow bigger.

"If" there was a chance to go there- whether it was for a few hours or days.. what would you bring in addition to the normal gear for a 16 day + trip?

20211128_085759.jpg

Rubberhook2

Local Bluefin
Jan 19, 2007
San Clemente
Name
Tim
Boat
None
Here is a story that I have never shared about my trip to Clipperton aboard Royal Star.

Yeah, the fishing was off the hook and we plugged the boat with big tuna but that is not the story.

We were given the opportunity to go ashore the atoll by Tim Eckstrom running us in in the skiff. One of the guys on the trip had brought some weed and we rolled a very large blunt and put it in a ziplock bag along with some matches to light it. Tim would not run the skiff up on the beach due to surf so we had to swim in the last 200 feet.

Four of us walked to the palm grove after exploring the atoll and lit and smoked half the blunt. We placed the other half and the unused matches back in the ziplock bag and attached that bag to a palm tree head high in plain site and left it for the next atoll explorer to come along.

Can only imagine what someone would of thought finding that on a deserted coral atoll.

Yes, that really happened

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Here is a story that I have never shared about my trip to Clipperton aboard Royal Star.

Yeah, the fishing was off the hook and we plugged the boat with big tuna but that is not the story.

We were given the opportunity to go ashore the atoll by Tim Eckstrom running us in in the skiff. One of the guys on the trip had brought some weed and we rolled a very large blunt and put it in a ziplock bag along with some matches to light it. Tim would not run the skiff up on the beach due to surf so we had to swim in the last 200 feet.

Four of us walked to the palm grove after exploring the atoll and lit and smoked half the blunt. We placed the other half and the unused matches back in the ziplock bag and attached that bag to a palm tree head high in plain site and left it for the next atoll explorer to come along.

Can only imagine what someone would of thought finding that on a deserted coral atoll.

Yes, that really happened
    LOL too cool.

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 11, 2003
    Costa Rica
    Name
    Brad Baron
    Boat
    Royal Polaris
    I would go back 🤙🏾 fishing tuna and wahoo that close to land and reef 🤙🏾

Looks like a donut on radar. The freshwater lagoon is larger then the island itself

152198-1227024523-a28ecca595d92148dc1e8690a3daa7a9.jpg

The highest peak
    152196-1227024328-242caf4e4f973156f67cc8d514936b4b (3).jpg

There is a wave on the island. Would like to surf it just to have done it. A LR captain surfed Clip. Wonder if this was the wave? Too much swell. We did not get to go beach or skiff fishing. Really wanted to do that

152197-1227024522-d6297abf90546bf43af1983170b8bd55 (2).jpg

152194-1227024326-385bdfac3eb16519d2508ee22f81dd73 (1).jpg

152195-1227024327-f9205b40b6b4d8ab143c6d1412a7373c (1).jpg

solid72
    solid72
    If you get to see Tim Ekstrom, ask him about his surf session at Clip. Definitely needed a Dentist onboard.. That break is FAST…
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Rubberhook2

Local Bluefin
    Jan 19, 2007
    San Clemente
    Name
    Tim
    Boat
    None
    I may have shared this before...

One of the LR boats ran 5 passengers into the atoll on a hard bottomed skiff. After dropping them off the skiff got rolled in the surf and sank stranding 6 people on the atoll with no other skiff available to return them to the boat.

Fortunately a super seiner was near the atoll and was reached by radio and advised of the situation. They agreed to use their helicopter and a basket to transfer the passengers and crew member back to the boat. Good outcome to what could of been a very bad situation.

You did not read about that in Western Outdoor News....

Upvote 0

themacs

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 18, 2003
    San Clemente CA
    Name
    scott
    Boat
    none
    I went there in the early 2000's on the Rooster. Andy and Jeff both running the boat. Hot as hell. You needed a portable fan in your room as the A/C could not keep up. It was interesting to walk around the atoll with a lagoon in the middle. Lots of crabs running around. A few guys found a key of marajuana on the beach.
    Fishing in the late evening-early AM was best. I got my first cow 244.4 at dawn one day. It was our 2nd cow of the trip. We only got one more :(. They were 267 as I recall, 244 and 208.
    I wound up with 3 over 140 and was luckey. As I recall, NO wahoo or fish on the troll. The 21 day trip was sure long. The problem is, it is hit and miss. Not many (if any) options if it is not good.
    Glad I went and not sure I would go again (but probably would) if the oppertunity came.
    Memories.........

Upvote 0

vegasandre

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Aug 20, 2010
    San Diego
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Any Boat that I can go on
    Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Why talk about it, it's highly unlikely that a Long Range boat will ever go there again
    We love the stories. Started tuna fishing 1960
    age 13, had to listen to all those "back in the
    day" stories from old timers. NOW I'm old and
    love having the time to hear them all. Plenty
    of past trips to talk about by many on BD. LOL

Upvote 0

kevina

• Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    I went there in the early 2000's on the Rooster. Andy and Jeff both running the boat. Hot as hell. You needed a portable fan in your room as the A/C could not keep up. It was interesting to walk around the atoll with a lagoon in the middle. Lots of crabs running around. A few guys found a key of marajuana on the beach.
    Fishing in the late evening-early AM was best. I got my first cow 244.4 at dawn one day. It was our 2nd cow of the trip. We only got one more :(. They were 267 as I recall, 244 and 208.
    I wound up with 3 over 140 and was luckey. As I recall, NO wahoo or fish on the troll. The 21 day trip was sure long. The problem is, it is hit and miss. Not many (if any) options if it is not good.
    Glad I went and not sure I would go again (but probably would) if the oppertunity came.
    Memories.........

Last edited:
    Reactions: Tunahead
    Upvote 0

kevina

• Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    It was interesting to hear 2 long range captains description of the atoll. One describes it as this beautiful place surrounded by all kinds of amazing fish. The other called it a burning hell covered in bird shit and ravenous crabs. Lol
    What 2 Captains?

Upvote 0

Rubberhook2

Local Bluefin
    Jan 19, 2007
    San Clemente
    Name
    Tim
    Boat
    None
    Here is something interesting...

Fished Clipperton in 2002 or maybe 2003. Royal Star. We loaded up on cabbies at San Benedicto on the way down and stopped and fished the Lunker Hole there on the way back. JP 285lb fish came from there.

While fishing we were approached and boarded by I believe officials of Consepa (?) the Mexican fishing conservation organization? I can recall Tim Eckstrom video taping the entire tense situation to document the encounter. These officials made all kinds of accusations that were doing something wrong by being there. At this point all of the islands were open to fishing.

I was later told that the interaction was the beginning of the end of the Revillagigedo islands being closed to fishing and converted to a marine preserve years later...

Upvote 0

offshore6

Where's the tuna?
    Aug 20, 2006
    Indialantic, Florida
    Name
    Eric
    Boat
    Boat Ho
    Here is something interesting...

Fished Clipperton in 2002 or maybe 2003. Royal Star. We loaded up on cabbies at San Benedicto on the way down and stopped and fished the Lunker Hole there on the way back. JP 285lb fish came from there.

While fishing we were approached and boarded by I believe officials of Consepa (?) the Mexican fishing conservation organization? I can recall Tim Eckstrom video taping the entire tense situation to document the encounter. These officials made all kinds of accusations that were doing something wrong by being there. At this point all of the islands were open to fishing.

I was later told that the interaction was the beginning of the end of the Revillagigedo islands being closed to fishing and converted to a marine preserve years later...
    I think that you have the dates wrong. The islands closed in 1997/1998.

Rubberhook2
    Rubberhook2
    Really?

Upvote 0
    Upvote 0