Clemente "guarantee" ?

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by IronMikeAC, Sep 1, 2018.

1. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Are they still on those massive balls of Anchovy?

2. MORGS

MORGS Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Morgan
    Boat:
    Boatless

+1 I am booked to go out next week and can't wait. Check out there Instagram they have landing some biggins.

3. Corndog

Corndog Landlocked

Name:
    Jason Jones ( Lone Shark)
    Boat:
    Century 1801, Hobie PA14 & SoA
    It appears that way. Whatever there foaming on is tiny for sure. I forgot to look at stomach contents as everyone was pretty excited seeing the fish caught on light gear.

There is so much bait out there between SCI and Cortez its incredible. Funny thing is there were foamers in every direction u could see and not a boat in sight. We almost didnt stop considering it was puke green water and they haven't been biting anything this year

4. NorCalSoCalIDC

NorCalSoCalIDC Member

Name:
    Ernie Gorham
    Boat:
    11' SportCat Truline
    I don't know for sure, but I have a feeling that was actually at either Cortez or Tanner Bank not SCI. The bite there has been good for yellows up to 40 pounds and the smaller ~20lb bluefin.

Another option is the Pride out of Seaforth. Sleeps 18 but the prices for charter are pretty low. If you could get 10 buddies/other cow hunters that wanna go he'll take you to SCI to strictly fish those.

zman91 likes this.
  5. Corndog

Corndog Landlocked

Name:
    Boat:
    We caught yellowtail at both Clemente and Cortez. Small bluefin and jumbo bonito are definitely ar Cortez but Bluefin are also only 5 miles from great yellowtail fishing at Clemente.

6. fishkilr

fishkilr on the water

Name:
    alby
    Boat:
    Indian/Aahi/Inseine
    IMG_0706.JPG IMG_0707.jpg
    I don't know ... they bit pretty good at the island today and the evening bft bite was good too...
    Back to flatfalls at 4 and yellows in the morning...

calicoi likes this.
  7. Pangamaster

Pangamaster Cow Town Here I come!

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.
    So really this brings up a different topic....What defines Long Range fishing? If you go straight West to Clemente....it’s about 60 miles....to me that is not long range...I spent 5 years of my life spending 250+ days a year in that area....it’s not long range.....Long Range means you go left for a few days....LR boats on 3 day trips....that’s not long range.....if the fishing is better at Clemente or Cortez....that’s fine...go where the fish are....but it’s not long range fishing.

I say go where the fish are.... but it’s not a LR trip if your fishing the local boat stuff....
    It might be local fishing in style....that’s cool too....but it’s not long range.

Might be symantics ...maybe they should just change the name of the trips to “Fishing in Style?” Instead of Long Range? At least for these shorter trips.

freegaff2 likes this.
  8. freegaff2

freegaff2 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Craig Simcox
    Boat:
    none
    I'm taking my daughter on a 3 day on the Supreme next July...not long range, but definitely the long range experience. Large staterooms, limited load, and superb food. She is a teacher, and is mother to a 3 and 6 year old...she doesn't have the time to go longer, though she wants to do an 8 day...kids gotta grow a little before that happens. It will. I am taking my brother on an 8 day this year, my son on a 10, and my SIL on an 8 next Sept...he is already aware that Katie gets an 8 too, and he will be stay at home Dad :D I think what counts is the experience...I could have booked a 2.5 on the PQ, Top Gun or New Lo Ann, and been perfectly happy myself. I wanted her to get a glimpse of long range.

Cubeye and Pangamaster like this.
  9. wils

wils lazy-ass well known "member"

Name:
    bill
    Boat:
    I hate boats
    Anything over 5 days.
    and why?
    well.....back in the early 2000s the 3-4 day folks started moving up to the 5-day trips. previous to that time, anything over 4 days was considered "long range". But what the fuck!?!?!?!!!! What is this riff-raff 3-4 day guy moving up into the Long Range Class. So it was "decided" - on the internet - that 5-day was no longer "Long Range". Now Long Range begins @ 6 days.

so you see, its not semantical; its class-ical. :D

Pangamaster likes this.
  10. nicodemus

nicodemus Member

Name:
    Nicholas Bronson
    Boat:
    themodcatfish
    If that's the case...looks like the Royal Star is wrapping up a 7-day long range trip right now...at SCI. :) Quite a few bluefin, a fair number of cows, and bunch of YT to provide some variety.

Juanba likes this.
  11. Pangamaster

Pangamaster Cow Town Here I come!

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.
    I still wouldn't call it Long Range....If you can get to the same spot in 2.5 hours in your 16' Boston Whaler...that's not long range. Fishing Long Range Style in the comfort of a deluxe boat, light load, amazing food and the best of the best crew...

Maybe that is the word I'm looking for....I'm going fishing where ever the fish are in Long Range Style....even if it's fishing the local stuff.

freegaff2, nicodemus and carcass like this.
  12. ReelDealAngler-

ReelDealAngler- Born To Fish

Name:
    Garry
    Boat:
    Reel Estate
    I think the distinction here is Long Range boats not the term "long range"... the Thunderbird (a CA Sport fishing boat) out of Newport is fishing SC right next to the Red Rooster III (a SD based Long Range fishing boat)… the difference is the RRR III goes "long range" fishing (more often than not), the Thunderbird never goes "long range" (way down south into Mexico) fishing, stays more local. Then of course there are physical differences as well... LR boats are generally: larger, larger bait capacity, staterooms instead of bunkrooms... basically more conducive for longer range fishing.

G

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    bluewaterbum likes this.
  13. Corndog

Corndog Landlocked

Name:
    Boat:
    who gives an actual $#&@ what it is or isn't called lol? my 6 day went west to Clemente then south to the 60 with an intention of Ensenada. Permits didnt come through and went south to colonet areas then north then out then in then back to Clemente then off to cortes then back to Clemente and back to SD. LR/multiday boats offer options and far better accommodations. We were not the only boat that split time between Clemente and down the line. The rooster was near us at Cortez as well as Mexico as well as Clemente. I never saw the Thunderbird in Mexico though :D

ReelDealAngler- likes this.
  14. ZZZZZ

ZZZZZ natural born jig slingers

Name:
    ZZZZZ
    Boat:
    Jet Ski Yamaha FX Show. ZZZZZ
  15. Let em eat 74

Let em eat 74 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Whichever1is leaving
    That’s why I’m doing a limited load 4.5 for the big boys. At $1000 it’s a steal.

ZZZZZ likes this.
  16. Guideoutpost

Guideoutpost Big Dave's biggest bluefin

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    N/A
    I"m wondering if anyone will still be running trips targeting big bluefin in October ?

17. Let em eat 74

Let em eat 74 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Whichever1is leaving
    More days (and nights) to connect. That’s what I’m betting on. Either way, I love being on the ocean.

42603152-C53C-40CC-8786-5F995EA8032A.png

Shon likes this.
  18. Tomahawk Sportfishing

Tomahawk Sportfishing Advertiser Advertiser

Name:
    Tomahawk Sportfishing
    Boat:
    Tomahawk
    We do. One is sold out but our 2.75 day on 10/8 fishing new moon has 6 spots left.

https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/t...y-bluefin-trips-tomahawk.698214/#post-4687547

We will probably make a few more shorter trips in October bluefin trips but waiting until we get closer. The newly posted sponsoredNovember trips (especially Thanksgiving weekend 2 day) will almost definitely be bluefin trips. Highly doubt yellowfin will still be around come November.

https://tomahawk.fishingreservations.net/sales/

19. reellady

reellady I'd rather be catching TUNA

Name:
    donna
    Boat:
    reel lady
    If you haven't been on the Tomahawk, you should try it. Top notch captains and crew and you will like the boat, and the food is great also.

Juanba likes this.
  20. chef tom

chef tom Member

Name:
    tom waggoner
    Boat:
    none
    I was lucky enough to get on the New-Lo-Ann 2 3/4 day Oct 7 -10 . Bluefin or bust new moon trip. It sold out in less than 24hrs. 22 people max load.

Steve K likes this.