Clemente "guarantee" ?

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by IronMikeAC, Sep 1, 2018.

1. Tomahawk Sportfishing

Tomahawk Sportfishing Advertiser Advertiser

Name:
    Tomahawk Sportfishing
    Boat:
    Tomahawk
    It all depends on where the bluefin are at the time. Nothing we can do about closures except hope there’s bluefin outside of the zone that’s closed and often there is. They could be out by Tanner/Cortez, they could be on the 43, they could be gone! We’ll do our homework and make the next best plan.

Bubba and Bill W like this.
  2. jp123

jp123 Newbie

Name:
    JP
    Boat:
    Boat
    May be booking 4 of the spots. Just hoping for a bluefin trip.

William Clinton and Steve K like this.
  3. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    I asked Sam Patella in June one year, where are we going to fish on the October 10 day. Pretty much laughed and said he couldn’t even say where we would be in 4 days, let alone 4 months. Point is, conditions are constantly changing and captains have to be aware of trends, talk with each other in their code group, share some information, check the weather, and make their game plan. There are so many variables for them to consider, and it’s a big ocean.

I would like to say we’ll be fishing Guadalupe on my November 7 day, but, that’s two months out. A late September 10 day will probably fish the Ridge and the Rocks. Weather rears its ugly head sometimes, and out on the Ridge, over at the Rocks, there’s no place to hide.

Just having faith in your favorite boat’s captain that he will make the right decisions is the best way to go have a good time. All of the considerations they take into account make our decision on which color bomb to use kind of inconsequential.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
    jp123 likes this.
  4. "all-in"

"all-in" Member

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    24, Angler, All-In
    I think the question can be answered based on current conditions. Based on today's info some boats are always fishing the BFT and some are always fishing the YFT/Dorado.

We all know things change.

5. ReelDealAngler-

ReelDealAngler- Born To Fish

Name:
    Garry
    Boat:
    Reel Estate
    Well I hate to say this, but I just got duped by the Intrepid... had recently signed up on the last open spot on a 3-day that just returned last Friday. I figured that not too many anglers would be willing to pay $1,575 for a 3-day on one of the "premier" boats in the LR fleet to go fish for 5-7 lb Skipjack and 8-15lb Dorado (aka "Doritios") especially considering that there is currently many acres of BFT (some over 300lbs) just off our CA coast and within a short distance of Point Loma. With that said, our young, inexperienced captain apparently got some bad fishing intel and some in-accurate weather forecast info... so he decided to turn left instead of right and stayed left the entire 3-day trip! A couple of the younger (tech savvy) anglers on our trip were following the boats that did go to SC and they all did well for the most part with many of them getting 10 or more BFT per day with some 200lb+ cows in the mix as well... so go figure!

I tried to talk rationally and calmly with our captain and explain to him that myself and most all of the other anglers onboard (lets say the majority) were willing to take on even a 10% chance of catching a trophy BFT ("once in a life time fish") than to have a 100% (full limits) of 5-7lb Skippies and 7-15lb Dorado, but that desire was simply just wasn't registering with him. We caught two dozen Dorado at most total for 2 full days of fishing with 26 anglers. Basically the trip was a lot of boat riding for not much of any quality at all... needless to say many anglers were not NOT happy and many were very disappointed (I know this to be fact, as many of them used me as their sounding board). To make matters even worse the boat had some water flooding issues and other problems. For me personally there are numerous things that just were not right considering the caliber of the boat (as promoted) and the high price of admission... really don't want to get into details on this thread so if you want my honest opinion on the +'s and -'s of fishing the Intrepid just PM me.

IMO, (and that of many others onboard as well) there was really poor communication from the young captain and the very young crew was not helping him, the entire crew seemed to be content with sporadically catching the small juvenile size fish that we caught, and there was very little interaction via face to face talk or a group setting galley talk from the captain with anglers onboard... many anglers told me they would never fish the Intrepid again. I also noticed today that the captain did a really good "sugarcoat" job on the fish report and the photo posted on the website made a 15lb Dorado (the only one we caught that big... rest were under 10lbs) look like a 35lb fish by holding the small gaffed Dorado way out in front of the angler... so BUYER BEWARE as they say. True trip report: lots of boat ride (dirty water and wind), jackpot winner was a 15lb Dorado, 2nd place if there was one would have been a 10lb YFT and third place would have been a 6lb Skippy!... truly a BAD LR trip (one of my worst ever)… and this is while most ALL of the other boats that actually went to SC were scoring fairly well on the BFT during the same time frame that we could have been there. In all fairness, SC Island did get closed one day from 12 to 5pm ... but the BFT bite was as it has been... mostly at night and early in the AM so the BFT counts were not greatly effected by the closure.

Bottom line (IMO): The premier SD Long Range boats are not going to be your best bet when it comes to fishing the BFT in CA waters, unless it is a DESIGNATED BFT TRIP or it is just so WFO they have no choice but to fish for them (via pure angler pressure to do so). My experience in fishing for west coast BFT (40+ years worth) is that they are seldom WFO and it is generally a "slow pick" bite at best. IMO, there are numerous reasons why the premier SD LR boats most often choose to turn left instead of right (there are exceptions to the norm just like there is with any service business). Some of it relates to ego, some of it is just lack of true fishing intel (sharing of info), the local day boats and the larger local privates that fish SC and that area more often generally prefer that the SD Long Range fleet stays away from "their" local fishing grounds. Sure glad and thankful that some of the SD fleet has legit permits to fish Guadalupe, and that the Rocks/Ridge are still open for those 7-8 day LR boats that do prefer to turn left. The 3-5 day LR trips turning left right now are really NOT doing well... hopefully conditions will change... personally I'd MUCH rather turn right and take my chances on the BFT which seem to be thick with many trophy grade fish in the mix and they are definitely hanging around...

G

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    998R, HoleSnipe, Fishdood and 7 others like this.
  6. swami 805

swami 805 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    sunk it
    Man sounds like a bad trip,we've all had them. Unfortunately boats aren't a democracy and you've got to live with the skippers decision,sounds like he pinged when he should have ponged. A young skipper trying to build a rep has got to be as bummed as you are,at least you'd hope so. Sounds like the crew wasn't what you'd expect from one of the Cadilacs of the fleet either. $1500 clams is a tough pill to swallow,hope you get em next time

7. ZZZZZ

ZZZZZ natural born jig slingers

Name:
    Boat:
    Jet Ski Yamaha FX Show. ZZZZZ
    Yah hope you get a 3 next time. Best of luck.

Seems like the best shot really is a 2.5-3 day aboard the Pacific Queen, New Lo An, and Pacfic Dawn. Have landed more jumbo bft then most all other party boats. There are a few other good options also. Right now I would prefer two back to back 3 days on the Pacific Queen IF it was possible. If possible. Over a 6 day LR trip

The Blue Horizon has a reverse 1.5 day. Departing on Wednseday September 12th at 1pm. Returning on Thursday at 7pm. I like how this trip is sett up. Fish Jumbos from sundown till sunrise. Once the jumbo bft bite is over go fish big yellows at SCI. Thats allot of fishing time for a 1.5 day. Jumbos then quality yellows. Epic

Includes meals for convienence
    http://www.sportfishingreport.com/fish_reports/138413/207lb-blufin.php

You dudes need to charter a boat. Rally up and load the boat with the right people. Come on guys! I filled a few 3 day freezer specials on the shogun no prob. Put one on the books that was not on the schedule. Also with the help of a bro easily getting off the dock.

Maybe the tomahawk

Need to get away from anglers who are taking thier one yearly annual trip. And they just want full speed action with juvenile fish. Get away from those nice anglers. Get in where you fit in. Cowkillers mount up

vegasandre, SCHeadhunter and Steve K like this.
  8. wils

wils lazy-ass well known "member"

Name:
    bill
    Boat:
    I hate boats
    but that should win the prize for longest whiniest bitch report of the season. bieber

9. Steve K

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    First, disclaimer, not an Intrepid fan, only fished it once, ten years ago.

Second, Sam Moore is not a young inexperienced captain. Love or hate the Intrepid, Sam is an experienced and well respected young captain, highly capable of running a stellar trip, putting guys on big fish. We watched him, his crew and group of anglers kick the shit out of the tuna at the Hurricane Bank. The guys who exclusively fish Intrepid feel the same way about Sam as I feel about Ray Lopez and Nick Maurer: I’ll go to war with either one. Basically if the owner and #1 captain trust him, why not the passengers?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
    Anglewood, dh515, Fishybuzz and 2 others like this.
  10. ReelDealAngler-

ReelDealAngler- Born To Fish

Name:
    Garry
    Boat:
    Reel Estate
    You are 100% right bro... Pacific Queen, New Lo Ann, Pacific Dawn are the way to go for these BFT at SC if you want to depart from SD... Top Gun 80 might be in there for me as well. Nothing deluxe, but those boats are of the mind set that a 10% chance at a BFT of a lifetime is way better than a full limit of dinks. They are also in the right "code group" as well. ;)

G

11. hawkplayer32

hawkplayer32 I'd rather be fishing.

Name:
    Tony Hicks
    Boat:
    Baja Bound
    Total BS. I would have been fuming.

Dan33 likes this.
  12. Tomahawk Sportfishing

Tomahawk Sportfishing Advertiser Advertiser

Name:
    Tomahawk Sportfishing
    Boat:
    Tomahawk
    We have BFT only trips on the schedule that we put up over a week and a half ago because guys were asking us to put up trips targeting bluefin. And we posted them on BD, FB, IG, etc... Not a single spot booked on either trip since advertising them as bluefin trips. Capt. Jeff is itching to get back to killing big BLUEFIN!! But we keep getting chartered or open party bookings that only want to focus on the fish nuggets...

If you want a guaranteed bft trip then book either of the new moon or full moon trips on our October schedule. OR call us to set up a private charter as ZZZZZ appropriately suggested!

https://tomahawk.fishingreservations.net/sales/

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
    ZZZZZ and hawkplayer32 like this.
  13. zman91

zman91 Member

Name:
    Some guy
    Boat:
    yak
    My guess is that your average rent rod angler or once a year tuna fisherman isn’t on the San Diego long range forum to put their two cents in...

The majority of people want to take home fish and not watch other people catch fish of a lifetime or the crew basically land a fish for them on the kite.

Plenty of 6 packs out there you can charter to go exclusively big game. I might even know the owner of a small charter boat outfitted with big fish gear, flying fish and helium that costs less then a 6 pack...

Cubeye, dh515 and Fishybuzz like this.
  14. Pangamaster

Pangamaster Cow Town Here I come!

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.
    Exactly! My buddies that fish once a year ....just went on the Excel on a 3 day that exclusively fished the BFT. Boat landed 2 over 200#’s. They are still fuming....they will never fish the Excel again....they would have absolutely loved 10# dorado....the boats needs to judge their clientele and make difficult decisions.

I have seen this personally on 10 day trips fishing cows down on the lower banks...couple handlefuls of big fish landed.....some with nothing in the sack....always tough ....the captain can never please everyone in these situations.

Couple of thoughts...

If you go on a 10 day and you’re relatively new....and don’t catch much.....you will never come back.

The 2 giant Bluefin off the Excel came off the kite... The charter master and #1 on the boarding list got to reel in the fish....seen similar on other trips....I can see how this can cause Angler anxiety.

I’m in complete agreement on fishing the local boats for this fishery....This is their backyard...lots of the crews are ex LR crew or even owners. Pacific Queen and others are filling their galley scrap books with pictures that might take a generation to replace.

15. Corndog

Corndog Landlocked

Name:
    Jason Jones ( Lone Shark)
    Boat:
    Century 1801, Hobie PA14 & SoA
    Having just finished a 6 day on the SoA where we split time betwee Baja a d So Cal water. I can say that these Bluefin dont come easy at all. I was high stick with 4 but 2 came on foamers that I was the only one along with my brother to get a bite.

Only day fish outside of mine were on the kite. Only so many opportunities present themselves and our trip even with a couple dozen bluefin would have been a sad sad trip for the majority had we stuck to bluefin the whole trip.

My 2 cents is if u want nothing but an elephant hunt to make sure that is the plan ahead of time. I
    Charters usually have more pull on that decision. If its o li em party u likely will go where the most people dont fo home empty Handed.

On the plus side I bet the lobster was good lol

16. Corndog

Corndog Landlocked

Name:
    Boat:
    Bill Dance goes foamer fishing....

tranx 400 on edge swimbait rod. Not "advised" at all lol

20180908_163035.jpg

streetnfish likes this.
  17. Steve K

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Dawg, did you fire a bait into the foamer or an artificial? Few years back we as a group took four of them on the last day of a June 8 day. One each on #1 a Sardine under a helium balloon #2 Tady 4/0 Blue/Chrome #3 FlatFall #4 Point Wilson Dart.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  18. William Clinton

William Clinton Newbie

Name:
    Zac
    Boat:
    Bayliner 18ft
    Only concern and why I haven't decided yet is I'm not sure if the bite will still be as hot and the ticket volume isn't low. Let us know if you turn that trip in sept to a BF trip n I'll buy a ticket friday lol. My boy came home from a 2 day on the success with a cow plus some. #goals.

19. fishkilr

fishkilr on the water

Name:
    alby
    Boat:
    Indian/Aahi/Inseine
    whats really strange is the yellows at the island have been chewin good...
    O 95 had 8 bft and 59 yellows to 40+....
    I can GUARANTEE that I will be on another crew trip on the whale watch boat for the next 2 days at sci catchin bft ,calicos and yellows...r

Bill W likes this.
  20. Corndog

Corndog Landlocked

Name:
    Boat:
    Yeah Steve. Plucked 2 Bluefin on a lure out of 3 foamers that we tried. Thought to be nearly impossible but I was successful. Definitely was a lure intended to "match the hatch" lol

Steve K and ZZZZZ like this.