JTrelikes

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Oct 3, 2006
    Lakeside, CA
    Name
    Jim Trelikes
    Boat
    Bubba Jean 28
    Now do you have the renzetti craftman lathe or the basic renzetti lathe. I read on another forum that if you go over 9ft on the renzetti craftsman, that there a slight sag and vibration due to no support on the center of the base?

Yeah, there was a slight issue with vibration at higher speeds. Especially since my lathe is 12 feet overall. It was a real tough fix..........about 5 minutes worth with a couple of 2" blocks of wood. ;)

Reactions: ED3 and wood5045
    Upvote 0

Zeroks24

Jul 11, 2011
    West covina/California
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    Trashed boat
    Yeah, there was a slight issue with vibration at higher speeds. Especially since my lathe is 12 feet overall. It was a real tough fix..........about 5 minutes worth with a couple of 2" blocks of wood. ;)
    I was thinking something similar with wood blocks if i would get it. Seems like i am convinced that the renzetti is the way to go at this point. I was also going with the same length(12ft base) since i do build 10ft rods. Thanks for the advise.

Upvote 0

FalconerRods

Sep 11, 2016
    Birmingham, AL
    www.facebook.com
    Name
    Bill Falconer
    Boat
    Hobie Mirage Outback
    I'll add my $0.02 only because I have owned (or own) and used them all - ALPS, Flex Coat, CPW, PAC BAY, etc. Many of them are basically identical. All work fine...none come close to a Renzetti.

Everything on the Renzetti except the chuck and the belt is one-hand adjustable. Seems like a small thing but is HUGE when working. The thread tension is not only controllable but very controllable in very small increments. Makes a HUGE difference if you know how to use it, want to wrap 6 thread tigers, etc. Honestly - try that on your other lathe. None of my others wraps 2 threads very well...most can't wrap more than 4. Tension is placed on the spool not the thread - never any thread damage and works equally well with OO, A, D, whatever size. And you can use any and all size spools of any brand with only minor adjustments. Oh and you get useable back tension that actually works.

There is a reason you never, ever see a used Renzetti or Clemens for sale. If you do, buy it right now because it will not be there in 1 hour. I know that sounds crazy but it is FACT. The most recent one I saw lasted 18 minutes on FaceBook. Also, in all the forums and all the social media have you ever seen one builder who didn't like their Renzetti or regretted buying it? Enough said. I have been using mine for 21 years and will part with it when they put me in the ground. The only updates I've ever made were to buy large spool attachments to run 4 oz spools and to swap out the original wing nut type knobs for knurled thumb knobs on my thread carriage.

I'd highly, highly recommend finding a builder nearby that will let you try their Renzetti or Clemens before you spend your hard earned money. 10 minutes will teach you more than 10,000 words on this or any forum. Buy once, cry once.

To the original question, I had a Clemens (impulse purchase) but sold it to a friend years ago. It was the same as the Renzetti except for slightly different hardware on the thread carriage and slightly different design to the rod supports. Not identical but functionally exactly the same. Hope this helps!

Reactions: wood5045 and Cubeye
    Upvote 0

Zeroks24

Jul 11, 2011
    West covina/California
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    Trashed boat
    I'll add my $0.02 only because I have owned (or own) and used them all - ALPS, Flex Coat, CPW, PAC BAY, etc. Many of them are basically identical. All work fine...none come close to a Renzetti.

Everything on the Renzetti except the chuck and the belt is one-hand adjustable. Seems like a small thing but is HUGE when working. The thread tension is not only controllable but very controllable in very small increments. Makes a HUGE difference if you know how to use it, want to wrap 6 thread tigers, etc. Honestly - try that on your other lathe. None of my others wraps 2 threads very well...most can't wrap more than 4. Tension is placed on the spool not the thread - never any thread damage and works equally well with OO, A, D, whatever size. And you can use any and all size spools of any brand with only minor adjustments. Oh and you get useable back tension that actually works.

There is a reason you never, ever see a used Renzetti or Clemens for sale. If you do, buy it right now because it will not be there in 1 hour. I know that sounds crazy but it is FACT. The most recent one I saw lasted 18 minutes on FaceBook. Also, in all the forums and all the social media have you ever seen one builder who didn't like their Renzetti or regretted buying it? Enough said. I have been using mine for 21 years and will part with it when they put me in the ground. The only updates I've ever made were to buy large spool attachments to run 4 oz spools and to swap out the original wing nut type knobs for knurled thumb knobs on my thread carriage.

I'd highly, highly recommend finding a builder nearby that will let you try their Renzetti or Clemens before you spend your hard earned money. 10 minutes will teach you more than 10,000 words on this or any forum. Buy once, cry once.

To the original question, I had a Clemens (impulse purchase) but sold it to a friend years ago. It was the same as the Renzetti except for slightly different hardware on the thread carriage and slightly different design to the rod supports. Not identical but functionally exactly the same. Hope this helps!
    Thank you for that. It was very informative. I was also going to ask about the 4oz spool attachment. Is there a way to modify the thread carriage for 4oz or is it easier to just buy the attachment from renzetti?

Upvote 0

FalconerRods

Sep 11, 2016
    Birmingham, AL
    www.facebook.com
    Name
    Bill Falconer
    Boat
    Hobie Mirage Outback
    So....no doubt way easier to buy from Renzetti. But yes - if you are handy, patient and have some rudimentary machining equipment or hand tools you could modify it to use large spools. I'd just add them as 'outrigger' attachments from which you can run the thread off the 4 oz spools to the pigtails on the thread carriage rather than modify the thread carriage itself. Otherwise it may be hard to go back to 'normal' 1 oz our 100 yard spools.

Upvote 0

Zeroks24

Jul 11, 2011
    West covina/California
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    Trashed boat
    So....no doubt way easier to buy from Renzetti. But yes - if you are handy, patient and have some rudimentary machining equipment or hand tools you could modify it to use large spools. I'd just add them as 'outrigger' attachments from which you can run the thread off the 4 oz spools to the pigtails on the thread carriage rather than modify the thread carriage itself. Otherwise it may be hard to go back to 'normal' 1 oz our 100 yard spools.
    Good to know. I read on another forum that the chuck doesnt open as wide as say an alps or pac bay. Is this true? Curious since here in california i get some rods that have a bigger butt diameter like some seekers or calstars.

Upvote 0

Orca

シャチ, 鯱
    Aug 16, 2003
    Mira Mesa Ca
    Name
    Don
    Boat
    2359 Trophy, Irene Sea
    Yes the Alps chuck opens wider, however it will open until the jaws fall out. When they do it is a bear to get them back in the right order. Number the face of the chuck to correspond to the jaw #s.
    The Renzetti opens to 1.35 inches if your rod butt is larger insert a dowel into the butt to reduce the size.

Upvote 0

JTrelikes

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Oct 3, 2006
    Lakeside, CA
    Name
    Jim Trelikes
    Boat
    Bubba Jean 28
    I just take one bolt out of each of the three pieces that make up the jaws......turn them 180 degrees and tighten them back down with the single bolt. Pretty simple fix.

Reactions: Orca
    Upvote 0

Cy Bodden

Been there done that
    Oct 15, 2013
    Escondido, CA
    Name
    Cy
    Boat
    on to the next one
    Good to know. I read on another forum that the chuck doesnt open as wide as say an alps or pac bay. Is this true? Curious since here in california i get some rods that have a bigger butt diameter like some seekers or calstars.
    When I got mine a few years ago My first rod was a Ulua, Was shocked it wouldn't fit. Called up and they sent me new jaws. I can't remember her name but she was super nice.

Upvote 0

carnage007

May 9, 2004
    Encino
    Name
    nick
    Boat
    to poor
    Just picked up a used Renzetti. Pretty stoked to start wrapping on it but a little bummed I will be selling my Pac Bay machine that has been with me since the start.

Upvote 0

Lundalakan

Sep 29, 2016
    Socal, Poway
    Name
    Lou
    Boat
    Lund alaskan
    I’ve been happy with my renzetti lathe. I changed out o rings once on the support wheels and burnt out two motors. The motors were my fault, too lazy to go out to the garage and use my wood lathe on hypalon. I’ve used it hard. It’s been worth it

Upvote 0

ironmike

ironmike
    Aug 19, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    nope, need to go with you or Cattle Boats
    Yea I figured that’s what I would do. I only use a carriage for my tigers I’ve been on the market for a renzetti as well
    Yeah, I'm the same way, Mike. My old Power Wrapper from '85, still working, same motor. Shitty carriages, but I have to have the rods spin away from me, too set in my ways or I'd have bough a Renzetti years ago. I tired it, can't adjust. Funny, i learned from Clemens himself, twoice when he came to Southern Cal., and one more time in Las Vegas (2 day Seminars). I should have thought, as you say, turn the unit around...or just convert to it years ago..Can't now!! Just an old Classic Greek guy!

Reactions: sealskinner
    Upvote 0

ssrmr2

Mar 15, 2006
    OC
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    17' montauk "Anger Management"
    was looking to upgrade as well….
    craftsman rod lathe, motor and motor bracket, and foot pedal.

this will cover to 9’ rods. anything else missing from that list?

Upvote 0

ED3

• Mar 21, 2016
    washington
    Name
    Eddie
    Boat
    Your Mom
    Do you guys use your Renzetti to apply finish also? If so I imagine this is another learning curve? Or do use a different machine now ?

sealskinner
    sealskinner
    Pacbay reostat for killer speed control
    Upvote 0
    Zeroks24
    Zeroks24
    Ive been using mine to put on finish, but i think in the future i will have a dedicated finish station
    Reactions: ED3
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

bluewater23t

Oct 2, 2008
    Florida
    Name
    Ted
    Boat
    Bluewater
    Do you guys use your Renzetti to apply finish also? If so I imagine this is another learning curve? Or do use a different machine now ?
    I do. I jury rigged a smaller turning motor, and swap it in for the 1/10 hp motor that comes with the renzetti. Can go from really slow, to medium fast....but you dont need super fast for applying epoxy or drying so it works for me.

Upvote 0