Clemens vs renzetti rod lathe

Zeroks24

Jul 11, 2011
West covina/California
Name
Steve
Boat
Trashed boat
Beginning next year i want to upgrade from my pac bay(with alps chuck) power wrapper into a clemens/renzetti lathe. Wanted to know the pros and cons on getting a used clemens or just going all in for the new renzetti( old style or craftsman style) or even a used renzetti. Want to invest into something im gonna use for a long time. And also if anyone is selling either a clemens or renzetti as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

gecsr1

Plain Jane Rods...Hobby Rod Builder
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
No Boat Now
Nothing against the Alps lathe, it's a great unit for the money. But you buy a Renzetti, and you've finished lathe shopping for the rest of your life.
Maybe so, but I do not build enough rods to justify the cost of one...
My Alps may not be the best.. but it works well for me, the thread carriage is junk, so I built my 4 spool carriage... so I get the job done...

Merry Christmas

Upvote 0

Zeroks24

Jul 11, 2011
West covina/California
Name
Steve
Boat
Trashed boat
Nothing against the Alps lathe, it's a great unit for the money. But you buy a Renzetti, and you've finished lathe shopping for the rest of your life.
Now do you have the renzetti craftman lathe or the basic renzetti lathe. I read on another forum that if you go over 9ft on the renzetti craftsman, that there a slight sag and vibration due to no support on the center of the base?

Upvote 0

marlyn

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 18, 2005
So Cal
Name
mark
Boat
21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
Where is the best place to buy the renzetti's?I used to have a custom powerwrap years ago but im not sure their even around anymore or how they compare.

Upvote 0

sealskinner

Retired Pimp
Has Moderator Powers
Nov 28, 2003
in the Hood
Name
Mike
Boat
Franks ho
How do you like using bobbins on it? I have an alps currently and it spins away from me I know the Clemens and renzzeti spin toward you
I learned on an Alps. So I spun my Clemons around so it spins away.
Just an old Pollock trying to get by.

Upvote 0

JTrelikes

• Oct 3, 2006
    Lakeside, CA
    Name
    Jim Trelikes
    Boat
    Bubba Jean 28
    SMH.......

No offense......but if you guys aren't using the Renzetti / Clemens lathes the way they were designed to be used (wrapping from behind the rod) you're wasting your money buying one.

I learned how to wrap rods originally from the front with the rod turning away from me. My set up wasn't even a lathe as we know it these days......it was just a crude assembly of homemade brackets and model car wheels. When I invested in my new Clemens (around 35 years ago), it definitely was a learning curve to wrap the opposite way than I'd been doing for 10 years previous. Got past it. Persistence paid off, and so glad I did it. Once accustom to it, my work not only got better, but I was more efficient at it.

Upvote 0
    Jul 2, 2013
    Menifee, CA
    Name
    Freddy
    Boat
    Boston whaler Outrage 17,Maycraft 1900
    SMH.......

No offense......but if you guys aren't using the Renzetti / Clemens lathes the way they were designed to be used (wrapping from behind the rod) you're wasting your money buying one.

I learned how to wrap rods originally from the front with the rod turning away from me. My set up wasn't even a lathe as we know it these days......it was just a crude assembly of homemade brackets and model car wheels. When I invested in my new Clemens (around 35 years ago), it definitely was a learning curve to wrap the opposite way than I'd been doing for 10 years previous. Got past it. Persistence paid off, and so glad I did it. Once accustom to it, my work not only got better, but I was more efficient at it.
    Another rod wrapper that has been around for a long time told me pretty much the same thing. Especially the last part of your statement.

Upvote 0

mike mitchell

Jul 25, 2017
    Monterey
    Name
    Michael Mitchell
    Boat
    18 Sfringari
    After nearly 2 years using a used Pac Bay machine with the Alps upgraded chuck I can most definitely say that if I can get the guides on with the correct spacing and on straight its a win, win for me. FDC

Upvote 0

Latest posts