Jo1316

Jun 24, 2021
Corona
Name
Joel
Boat
Las Tres Gordas
Hello,

Heading to Clearwater for work the second week of September and want to get in some fishing. I've never fished on the east coast let alone in Florida. Super excited about getting the opportunity to go out there. I do all my fishing in SoCal waters (San Diego, Catalina, etc) and Baja (SJDC, Ensenada, etc). I'm the only guy at work who fishes so probably will stick to shore/surf fishing. Plan on taking one of my surf rods and probably one of my Terez or smaller popping spinning rods with my Saragosas (6000, 8000 or 10000). Can someone direct me to some good spots in the area to fish (piers, beaches, etc). Also, need help with what tackle works in those waters. I have stick baits, nomads sinking lures, poppers, jerk baits, coltsnipers, etc (artificial lures). I know the live bait situation is a lot different than SoCal. Maybe chunk fishing with circle hooks, not sure.. Last, what kind of weather should I expect? Early or late fishing? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Joel
SF

Upvote 0

SWFL

Jul 16, 2021
Florida
Name
John
Boat
26' Glacier Bay
Clearwater is on the West coast, not the East, I guess you're referring to the East coast of the USA.

As far as shore fishing in the Clearwater area, I'll tell you right off that I've never done it. But I've lived about 100 miles or so South of there and been fishing pretty hardcore for most of the last 20 years and, if the Clearwater area is anything like here in Lee county, the shore fishing is going to be disappointing at best for a newcomer without years of knowledge and experience. It won't be anything like what you're used to in SoCal/Baja.

(This is assuming the red tide hasn't wiped out everything in the area you're headed, it's been devastating the Tampa Bay area recently with tons of dead fish being hauled off daily)
Unless your surf caster can sling your bait out about 50 miles you won't need it. The best beach fishing will be within a short cast of the beach. It get's worse the farther away from shore you get.

If you can find a secluded beach early in the pre-dawn you may have a shot at some snook, redfish, drum pompano (probably not that time of year) or whiting. For beach snook, a stealthy approach, long casts and flourocarbon leader will be the trick. The bait can be a yozuri type stick bait or soft plastics on a jig head. Once the sun gets much above the horizon I don't think you'll have much luck aside from possibly some trash fish.

Night fishing for sharks can be pretty productive on our area beaches, I'd suspect it's similar up there.

Good Luck and don't forget your bug spray, you'll need it on a calm early morning along the beach this time of year!

Reactions: Jo1316
Upvote 0

Jo1316

Jun 24, 2021
Corona
Name
Joel
Boat
Las Tres Gordas
Clearwater is on the West coast, not the East, I guess you're referring to the East coast of the USA.

As far as shore fishing in the Clearwater area, I'll tell you right off that I've never done it. But I've lived about 100 miles or so South of there and been fishing pretty hardcore for most of the last 20 years and, if the Clearwater area is anything like here in Lee county, the shore fishing is going to be disappointing at best for a newcomer without years of knowledge and experience. It won't be anything like what you're used to in SoCal/Baja.

(This is assuming the red tide hasn't wiped out everything in the area you're headed, it's been devastating the Tampa Bay area recently with tons of dead fish being hauled off daily)
Unless your surf caster can sling your bait out about 50 miles you won't need it. The best beach fishing will be within a short cast of the beach. It get's worse the farther away from shore you get.

If you can find a secluded beach early in the pre-dawn you may have a shot at some snook, redfish, drum pompano (probably not that time of year) or whiting. For beach snook, a stealthy approach, long casts and flourocarbon leader will be the trick. The bait can be a yozuri type stick bait or soft plastics on a jig head. Once the sun gets much above the horizon I don't think you'll have much luck aside from possibly some trash fish.

Night fishing for sharks can be pretty productive on our area beaches, I'd suspect it's similar up there.

Good Luck and don't forget your bug spray, you'll need it on a calm early morning along the beach this time of year!
Thank you for all the input. Much appreciated..

Upvote 0

FlippinEels

Jul 22, 2021
Deerfield Beach
Name
Sunny
Boat
No boat
I will agree with South West. Clearwater has not been known to me as a surfcasting destination.

I would suggest if you can taking a day or 2 outside of your work schedule and leaving the area for a proper fishing day or evening with a hired guide.

What this will do is provide you with a true Florida fishing experience that you can enjoy, you will not have to worry about geeking out on equipment, and you can take pointers for the next work trip where you can geek out as much as you want.

If you have never fished here, there is no point in missing a great experience by either boat or shore. I like that guide route myself just for 1 time.

Upvote 0