Odin7

Doug Fir
Apr 19, 2008
Beverly Hills
Name
Elizabeth Warning
Boat
Space Shuttle
Not sure if anyone is giving this any thought, but if you have a lightly engineered flat roof, you might want to consider clearing the snow off it.

More snow coming down now with a forecast later of rain and then more snow for many areas. Either way, everyone will get more snow and that is a lot of weight.

Also, your canvas on boats parked outside would probably appreciate a weight loss program as well.

Hunter Dan

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 30, 2011
Stauffer
Name
Dan
Boat
MUGWUMP
The bird netting over my raspberries collapsed at three am Saturday. Cracked two 2x4's in half. Right outside my bedroom window too. Lost a big branch off of two different trees. Been using my 6 1/2 ft gaff to knock snow off my trees! :-)

Reactions: Odin7

bent rod todd

Ling cod killa
Jun 5, 2011
Auburn,ca
Name
Todd
Boat
Skipjack 20 open (Ding A Ling) 14ft mirrocraft ( Lil Ding A Ling)
The bird netting over my raspberries collapsed at three am Saturday. Cracked two 2x4's in half. Right outside my bedroom window too. Lost a big branch off of two different trees. Been using my 6 1/2 ft gaff to knock snow off my trees! :-)
Damn cold up there, your gaff has seen more work than mine this winter.

JTC

Too Sirius
Aug 13, 2012
Redmond Wa
Name
Jeff
Boat
24' North River O/S. SIRIUS FISHIN
I have so far shoveled about two feet off my roof
Probably didn’t need to, but but mine is stick framed with no trusses and better safe than sorry
I have piles 6 foot tall that came off the roof

8305B65E-BCFB-4D95-ACD3-A45ABA1ADC60.jpeg

Reactions: Odin7 and LJB

Odin7

Doug Fir
Apr 19, 2008
Beverly Hills
Name
Elizabeth Warning
Boat
Space Shuttle
In 1978 and then again in 1979, the Chicago area was hit with a storm like this one each winter.

Those storms were out of the ordinary and structures that had survived decades of winters started collapsing. Before it was over, a few people were killed by snow burdened roofs.

I am at 300 feet and it is warming up. My power is out (at least the kind from the power company) and I can hear stuff coming down in the forest every now and then. This is going to get worse before it gets better.

Be safe.

jasper hickman

Team RED BEARD
Dec 23, 2014
Everett
Name
jasper
Boat
26' sea master, RED BEARD
A46234B9-8DCF-4D55-949F-D8FBB806A327.jpeg
My boat Shead is starting to bend. I’m posted up in Hawaii for 5 more days waiting for the news that the shelter gave way!

JTC

Too Sirius
Aug 13, 2012
Redmond Wa
Name
Jeff
Boat
24' North River O/S. SIRIUS FISHIN
I’m not sure when your picture was taken but it has stopped snowing and is melting
Fingers crossed

Odin7

Doug Fir
Apr 19, 2008
Beverly Hills
Name
Elizabeth Warning
Boat
Space Shuttle
Looks like he is up north? Snow plus rain=additional weight.

Heard on KIRO just now that one of the marinas in Gig Harbor is having some roof problems.

hawksfan75

Wear your god damned mask!
Sep 7, 2011
Kent, WA USA
Name
Eric
Boat
Hydra Sports 2200 DC
Any of you guys do roofs/gutters? Have a few shingles that have come off, need the moss knocked down and would like the gutters cleaned and a consult on leaf/gunk guards as well.

bducky

Jul 31, 2017
elma
Name
bob
Boat
20 ft duckworth
Any of you guys do roofs/gutters? Have a few shingles that have come off, need the moss knocked down and would like the gutters cleaned and a consult on leaf/gunk guards as well.
We just used leafless in Seattle, not cheap but the best if you have fir trees. They did great work in the specified time and they worked great throughout this storm. Bob

BugeaterInWa

Fear the Corn
Aug 10, 2008
Kitsap WA
Name
Matt
Boat
Boulton
View attachment 1000744 My boat Shead is starting to bend. I’m posted up in Hawaii for 5 more days waiting for the news that the shelter gave way!
Wow, good luck.

Im pretty glad I paid what I paid for my "carport" at the other place. I had it doubled up and most are like why did you spend that much... well, I wanted snow load safe for that "one" storm since I cant just get there and prefer not to rely on others if possible. In 3 years now my doubling up of supports, etc., has paid off imo.

I hope someone can help you out and safely get some of that load off for you before its to late, if its not already.

jasper hickman

Team RED BEARD
Dec 23, 2014
Everett
Name
jasper
Boat
26' sea master, RED BEARD
Wow, good luck.

Im pretty glad I paid what I paid for my "carport" at the other place. I had it doubled up and most are like why did you spend that much... well, I wanted snow load safe for that "one" storm since I cant just get there and prefer not to rely on others if possible. In 3 years now my doubling up of supports, etc., has paid off imo.

I hope someone can help you out and safely get some of that load off for you before its to late, if its not already.

It’s too much to ask any of my neighbors to get around that carport now. I talked to my insurance guy and he advised we’re better off not having people even around it now.

His phone has been ringing off the hook with peoples structures collapsing.

The boat is fully insured for a good agreed upon value, so if it gets crushed I should be ok.

It just figures, I finish a lagit boat covered area and it dumps 17” of snow right after I leave and I can’t do anything about it.

Reactions: BugeaterInWa

LJB

Down Fur-Lined Avenue
Jan 18, 2013
Tacoma
Name
ain't no cunthead
Boat
68 Bellboy
It’s too much to ask any of my neighbors to get around that carport now. I talked to my insurance guy and he advised we’re better off not having people even around it now.

His phone has been ringing off the hook with peoples structures collapsing.

The boat is fully insured for a good agreed upon value, so if it gets crushed I should be ok.

It just figures, I finish a lagit boat covered area and it dumps 17” of snow right after I leave and I can’t do anything about it.
Im betting it it survives enjoy your trip and forget about it,

DH10

Aug 18, 2009
Pinedale WY USA
Name
Dave Harper
Boat
17 Crestliner
Wouldn't work on a flat roof, but these things are pretty amazing. I have house in Victor, Idaho on the west side of the Teton's. Gets a lot of snow, every few years there is enough I worry about the roof and need to shovel. And it sucks. Just bought one of these things, and cleared all but the ridge of roof (couldn't reach the last few feet without a ladder) in 2 hours. Worth the $129!!!!

Tiderunner85

Sep 30, 2010
Tacoma, WA
Name
Tommy
Boat
21' Tiderunner
My brother is a salesman for leaf guard. Let me know if you'd like me to get him in contact with you.

Odin7

Doug Fir
Apr 19, 2008
Beverly Hills
Name
Elizabeth Warning
Boat
Space Shuttle
Wow, good luck.

Matt, if that bomb shelter of a structure of yours fails, I think the last thing we all need to worry about is the weather!

Aggro

Keepin my pimp hand strong!
Mar 4, 2005
Clairemont
Name
AGGRO
Boat
skiff
Worst part of a flat roof is the weight will turn it into a bowl and you'll have a lake up there every time it rains.

Reactions: One_Leg

yeagermyster

Jul 6, 2008
Graham, WA
Name
Tyson
Boat
which one is going out
What part of Kent do you live in? I run the roof doctor In Tacoma so I do some parts of Kent but it can get a little far to make it economical. I’d be glad to take a look. The estimate is free.

We don’t do gutters though. Here’s my take on the screens, foam inserts and the like. I don’t think they work. The mesh screens are ok but still need to be cleaned off because they collect needles and eventually the water will just run over the gutter because of the layer of needles that builds up.

My take is go with standard gutters and pay someone to clean them once a year or do it yourself. That is unless you have a lot of trees close to the house in that case leaf guard.

I have no affiliation to leaf guard at all but from my experience my customers that have them really like them. The downside is they are really pricey compared to standard gutters. And I mean really pricey in comparison.

Waterdog~

Just one more
Sep 1, 2009
Hollywood
Name
Brian
Boat
Tiderunner

hawksfan75

Wear your god damned mask!
Sep 7, 2011
Kent, WA USA
Name
Eric
Boat
Hydra Sports 2200 DC
What part of Kent do you live in? I run the roof doctor In Tacoma so I do some parts of Kent but it can get a little far to make it economical. I’d be glad to take a look. The estimate is free
I’m up near Lake Meridian, 264th/Kent Kangley. PM me if that works.

As for the gutter, I think they’re fine and not looking to replace by any means. I have a downspout that needs to be fixed and the others that go under ground inspected etc…