PENN

JoshInSD

Dec 22, 2015
San Diego
Name
Josh
Boat
Mackerel Magnet (Sailfish 21' CC)
Had the good fortune to hop on my neighbor Lee's Riviera 37 Flybridge "Sofia Rose" for another go at this ever improving YT and Dorado bite. Joined by Aaron, Derek and David. Based on my experience Monday, Aaron's experience yesterday and some timely FishDope info, Lee and David made macs for a few hours before we left. Loaded with 2 dozen macs and a 1/2 scoop of medium sardines, we left Mission Bay around 11:30pm and headed south again, and set the auto pilot on the same target direction as Monday. I was a little concerned we didn't have enough mackerel for the 5 of us.

Upon arrival at the numbers it didn't take too long after using the gyros (wow, it is so much easier from the top of a yacht than on our skiff!), we found a nice piece of lettuce with a few birds sitting on it. Given we only had 20 or so macs between 5 of us we opted to start with the sardines. Turns out that worked just fine. Within a minute David was hooked up with the first YT of the day, then Aaron and Derek hooked up in short order. Lee then got one on the boat. I accidentally sawed off David during our double hook up then got bitten off shortly later myself. The guys were pulling them in left and right and I had nothing. Didn't matter it was so fun watching all the action. It's a lot less stressful fishing with a full fridge at home already! My turn would come shortly however.

The grade today was a bit smaller than Monday but we pulled some nice 18-26 pounders off this first stop. The bite slowed down a bit so Derek jumped in and speared two more good ones. He said at one time he saw 3 dozen 15-20 pounders circling under the kelp and one dorado.

We motored over to another small kelp a few hundred yards away and boated a few more smaller grade YT. Shortly after an 8-10' hammerhead crashed the party and raced around scaring Mr. Homeguard and his family away, not to mention Derek was thrilled he wasn't in the water this time!

An hour or less later we come across another nice kelp with birds and this is where it just got silly. These fish were so hungry and aggressive they were chasing everything to the boat and biting 10-15 feet away. Trying to conserve bait we used bloody and ugly sardines, they worked fine. How about dead dines, check. Chunks, why not. At this point the action was so quick baiting a hook took too long so we grabbed flatfalls, surface irons, etc. Multiple fish chased every jig every time. This was the perfect time to break out my new Stella 10000 and Ocea Plugger 83H from Japan with a Shimano Ocea Pencil. 70 pound Ocea Line with 80 lb fluoro. Bombed a cast out to the kelp and I could see a major commotion chasing my lure. Attempt after attempt it finally smashed the pencil and the hook set, Dorado On!! A few minutes later and several acrobatic jumps the new reel and rod made short order of the dodo and Aaron set the gaff (for the day we ended up with 3 Dodo). David was having great luck with a surface iron and Lee got picked up on a flat fall. Aaron and Derek worked finbait with equal success at the stern. Finally the bite died on he kelp and we decided to call it a day around 1:45pm. Back to the slip by 5:30. Turns out we used all the sardines and had 5 mini macs remaining.

Everyone worked really well together today with all the action. Great group of guys and thanks to Lee for the invite and first class operation! Poor Lee couldn't even take a break to get some food on the table or refill his coffee before his rod starting screaming. Each time that happened it was a big one too!

Great two days of fishing and love seeing all my friends and family enjoying fresh fish. Share the love!

Some photos from the day.

IMG_2601.JPG
Prepping for departure IMG_2607.JPG
First YT on early. Got a good laugh over Aaron's "CREW" shirt all day. Makes for good photos. IMG_2611.JPG
David cranking in another IMG_2612.JPG
Derek bent IMG_2620.JPG
Aaron gets a bullsEYE.IMG_2621.JPG
Lee eyes on the prize - one of the biggest of the day IMG_2623.JPG
David's gaff was a perfect artery shot
IMG_2629.JPG
Lee's slug IMG_2634.JPG
Derek ready to shoot anything that gets too close IMG_2645.JPG IMG_2652.JPG
Hard to see but a little baby bird landed for a break on Aaron's rod IMG_2653.JPG
Meanwhile Derek kept himself busy IMG_2659.JPG
Nice fork IMG_2693.JPG
Fridge refill! IMG_2696.JPG IMG_2642.JPG
Bagels and lox with shaved black truffle (a friend who I gave some of Monday's fish to sells Italian truffles locally and gave me a few. So tasty!)
IMG_2647.JPG
Prosciutto and melon. IMG_4757.JPG
Lunch spread IMG_2689.JPG
Monday's catch for lunch IMG_2691.JPG
Why not try some truffle here also.
IMG_2698.JPG
Black truffle IMG_2699.JPG
Tried a new recipe. Shaved truffle and Japanese rock salt, dab of olive oil, sliced lemon and black sesame seed. Surprised myself it was good!IMG_2700.JPG
Then added some avocado and it was even better! IMG_2701.JPG
Add a piece of nori and now it's perfect!

Great day on the water. Now it's time to get focused on eating all this!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bajabills

Calm Seas and foamers, its fun time...
Apr 30, 2012
Ca
Name
Bill
Boat
blackman fishmachine
Man I want some sashimi now...., nice trip.
Ridin' in style.

Upvote 0

JoshInSD

Dec 22, 2015
San Diego
Name
Josh
Boat
Mackerel Magnet (Sailfish 21' CC)
You are going to get really spoiled fishing with Lee. He has the best food of any boat I have ever been on...

There's no question about that!! Best spreads ever. I didn't even get a photo of the baked ziti we had on the ride home.

I'll bring some of those truffles on the Jihad!

Upvote 0

apogee

My name is Apogee and I am a Squidaholic
Jan 29, 2009
Bakersfield
Name
Apogee..
Boat
Boston Whaler Outrage 28 (End Game)
Welcome to cloud nine.....Nice report...I like the part about the diver. The next time I am out on a drift hoping for the best, when somebody pulls up and puts a diver in the water I am going to help protect them by fishing for those freeloading sharks! I am sure a couple of 5 gallon chum buckets will help.....Ap

Reactions: JoshInSD
Upvote 0

Spoons

USCG Master
Oct 21, 2004
San Diego/SF Bay
Name
Capt. Erik
Boat
21' Center Console
awesome!

Upvote 0

Basswell

Aug 17, 2015
chino hills
Name
wes maxwell
Boat
ranger
I was just wondering if you were paddy fishing in Mexican waters or in California waters? Not looking for any exact numbers or anything.

Great report BTW.

Upvote 0

Jr.

Winning!
Feb 14, 2006
San Diego
Name
Dave
Boat
Hatteras
Welcome to cloud nine.....Nice report...I like the part about the diver. The next time I am out on a drift hoping for the best, when somebody pulls up and puts a diver in the water I am going to help protect them by fishing for those freeloading sharks! I am sure a couple of 5 gallon chum buckets will help.....Ap

Damn your badass!

Upvote 0

MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
Feb 24, 2003
East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
Name
starts with an "M".....
Boat
#1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
Nice work guys! :appl:

we were down in the general area on Sunday........on one of the kelps, we think we got wahoo-ed several times. (bitten off by scissors). Didn't see any, but with this warm water push, it's entirely possible.....

and now, there are more hurricanes. "might be" a good year. :)

Upvote 0

rdrrm8e

Fucking Stan
Nov 19, 2003
Anaheim
bdoutdoors.com
Name
chuck
Boat
No
Nice work guys! :appl:

we were down in the general area on Sunday........on one of the kelps, we think we got wahoo-ed several times. (bitten off by scissors). Didn't see any, but with this warm water push, it's entirely possible.....

and now, there are more hurricanes. "might be" a good year. :)

Where's your report mikey...???

Upvote 0

26grumpy

who hooked who
Sep 24, 2006
Anaheim Hills
Name
Joe
Boat
Freefrom Boats Club
Wow excellent fishing and top-shelf reporting right there!! :appl:

Now that you're ruined for life I look forward to seeing your skiff for sale in the classified forum. LOL

Reactions: JoshInSD and Spoons
Upvote 0

Sofia Rose

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 28, 2003
San Diego
Visit site
Name
Lee Maio
Boat
37' Riviera
I was just wondering if you were paddy fishing in Mexican waters or in California waters? Not looking for any exact numbers or anything.

Great report BTW.
We were in Mexico. Started at 44 miles SW and traveled an addition 17 SE before turning home. its of paddies around and the majority were holding.

Reactions: JoshInSD and Spoons
Upvote 0
P

Paddyman1

Fishing for YT and Dodo's barefoot on a teak deck - Doesn't get much better than that!

And the food looks unreal! I'm never sharing a photo of another breakfast burrito again - ever.

Reactions: Mick and JoshInSD
Upvote 0

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    Freakin' awesome! Great trip, good times, good friends and great food. Hope you had a few beers to go with it! Congrats!

Upvote 0