Clarity Through LR Fishing

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by Abaco, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Abaco

Abaco Member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    The Organ
    This is probably the strangest thread ever posted here. At least it pertains to LR fishing. I just got back from a little 4-day on the Royal Star. Had a great time. Tuna were shy and lockjawed a bit but the yellowtail were eager to jump on board.

Anybody else ever notice how screwed up things in society seem after spending those days out to sea without tv, internet, social media, news, etc? This time it really hit me, bigtime. I won't get into the details because some may confuse my statements as being political. I'm very apolitical.

Ever experience that effect post LR trip? Coming back to shore after being without the media input and realizing that things seemed pretty screwed up, and that people seem really addled? It's like you can return to shore with some zen-like clarity...

2. Klamath17

Klamath17 Member

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Anything that floats
    Same here, and after long backpacking trips too. People become desensitized to constant city traffic, noise, and conflict, but time away with the simple things really puts the ongoing chaos of civilization into perspective.

3. NoLDR

NoLDR OG BD member

Name:
    BRAD
    Boat:
    29 Baha Cruiser NoLDR
    Yep can absolutely understand where you are coming from.

Brad

Abaco likes this.
  4. bob1825

bob1825 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    Anyone the fits my schedule
    I usually experience that when I go fishing in Alaska or in Baja. It is harder for me on the LR trips because they all have TV and internet service now so it is harder to disconnect completely.

5. Abaco

Abaco Member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    The Organ
    Yeah. On this trip we didn't turn on the tv.

bob1825 likes this.
  6. fishordie

fishordie I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jamie
    Boat:
    2013 Ranger Z521 with 250 Merc.: Now deceased.. Thank goodness
    Just one of the reasons I spend most of my life fishing.... So much simpler this way.

Jamie

Anglewood and Artois like this.
  7. Rodless_Jim

Rodless_Jim I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Strictly a Rider
    I have that same experience every time I return from a trip. It has been even worse all these years in Mexico. The chaotic cacophony here in Mexico City cannot be described...it must be experienced to be believed. After 15-16 days on the water, it can be mind blowing.

8. TEAMFISH

TEAMFISH JUST ADD WATER

Name:
    DAVE
    Boat:
    25' Skipjack Fisherman
    No doubt. My first 8 day trip was the same way. Damn near cried when the boat docked. I was 48 at the time, when I got back from the trip my wife and kid told me I look younger. I even felt younger. Until I went back to work:D

9. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    For me, it's on both ends of the round trip from Bishop to San Diego and home again. I love every part of my multi day trips, the excitement and anticipation of day one, watching the previous trip unload, always seeing familiar faces from trip in prior years. Then it's our turn, great food, scenery, fellowship with the other anglers, old friends and new acquaintances and of course the fishing. Returning to San Diego is nice as well, unloading is a breeze, jackpots, seeing my friends at Five Star.

The only possible fly in the ointment is the wildcard, how will the traffic be? Finally home, sharing fish with friends, telling the story. It sure helps a lot living here in Paradise. Of course, being retired is nice, too.

10. Abaco

Abaco Member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    The Organ
    24 hours after stepping back on land the thought hit me, "I don't belong here." From going to the bank and hearing all the sob stories at the teller windows from all the other people there (I think I was the only one not broke), to almost getting in a head-on crash because some guy decided to drive while playing with his phone, to seeing the ABA therapist laying on his back with his hands up getting shot (my son has autism and I'm very familiar with that scene)...I'm just looking around going "WTF?" Our society is really addled. This clarity that hits after being on the water...it's really something... Maybe it's also the attention to detail (following the bait on your line, checking knots, etc) that heightens our senses, too - I don't know. But, it's really a trip.

falconer likes this.
  11. Tar Pit

Tar Pit I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Friend of Bucko Shaw
    Boat:
    None.
    I was on the Q 105 7-day trip when Michael Jackson died. My wife said the world was coming to an end on TV and we had no idea. I liked the old days when the boat had no wifi.

12. salty brain

salty brain Nothing but salt between the ears

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    what ever floats
    I know were your coming from, love seeing my daughter and family and friends but hate coming back to a spun out society after a nice long boat ride with pulling on fish as added fun.

13. wils

wils lazy-ass well known "member"

Name:
    bill
    Boat:
    I hate boats
    I only need 5-6 hours of this once a week to cure civilization...

[​IMG]

hilltop, falconer and bob1825 like this.
  14. pgangler

pgangler 12Wt

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    Was Cabo35, now RR3
    I hate this thread. It is so very true - from cellphones (and driving), to 24-hr news, to the terrorist threat du jour. It used to be that after a long trip, I'd want to know what happened in the market, and at work. Now we find out how many mass-killngs we've missed, and which national leader is under investigation.

My buddy and I take our sons to Montana every hear to go flyfishing, generally unplug, and catch up with the boys. This year we got into a deep discussion about the direction of the country, and how we don't recognize it anymore - this isn't the California I remember as a kid, or the kind of national dialog I recall either.

I realize my comments have more of a political origin than where this thread started (to me the cellphone/driving issue is a technology-induced problem). But I'm not trying to reflect any particular political persuasion - just that it all seems be spiraling the drain. Many young people are choosing not to have children, and I truly understand why. We were full of enthusiasm and hope for the future back in the 70's and 80's. Before we realized there were environmentally-induced limits. Before terrorism was a daily part of national dialog. Before there was so much poison and hatred between the political parties that nothing could get done. Before you could see hundreds of homeless in any major city in the nation.
    Not so much now.
    I really, really would like to be on the deck of the Rooster - and leaving San Diego right now.

Chrisben and RichG like this.
  15. screamingreel

screamingreel Long Range Fanatic

Name:
    Jeff Burroughs
    Boat:
    Long Range and Private
    There is a lot more to love about Long Range Sport Fishing than catching fish!

- Jeff Burroughs

RichG, Fishybuzz and arkansastuna like this.
  16. AKSalmon

AKSalmon I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill Brown
    Boat:
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    You guys have figured out why I live in Alaska.

17. Amadeus

Amadeus Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Wai Jung
    Boat:
    Seahawk II
    At sea there's little ambiguity about what is happening. Either the boat is underway or not. Whether you have a fish on or not. When the fish is gaffed on deck, it's final. If your line snaps or hook is thrown, that it's it--you start over. No one else's perceived righteousness is better another person's perceptions. If someone's gear is not up to speed, we try to solve the issues to get back to hooking up to fish.

I've only gone on the Alan Tani Charters and it's been this way for three years running. I imagine things are different for trips where "that guy" is onboard but "that guy" is a still known quantity that can be "isolated." The craziness back onshore--there's little means to bring sanity to that.

18. Scold

Scold Yes, that's my back.

Name:
    Jon
    Boat:
    N/A :(
    Before his presidency:

[​IMG]

After his presidency:

[​IMG]

After a Longrange trip:
    [​IMG]

19. Deep Water Sail

Deep Water Sail Newbie

Name:
    John Wightman
    Boat:
    T2
    In 1959 when I was young and single I shipped out on a Chevron Tanker for one year at sea. My first trip but not my last. No TV, cell phone, newspaper, etc, just loading and discharging the cargo and learning my trade. But we did visit Havana Cuba for a few hours and I got to see what Fidel was doing to his Country. The day I signed off my tanker I picked up a Newspaper and it was as if I had never left, it was same-o same-o.
    Life today is much more complicated, but it is what you make it.
    I still feel the roll of the ship in a Typhoon and the 60 ft seas in a
    Winter storm. Thoughts that keep me peaceful and happy as I age.
    Deep Water sailor

20. Pangamaster

Pangamaster Cow Town Here I come!

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.
    Everyone needs a chance to reset there clocks...someone recently commented on my "Out of Office" PTO alert....you always seem to be going where cell phones and email don't work? ....ahhh yeah! Otherwise it's not really a vacation. I was one of the guys in general opposition to the long range boats getting Wifi....now that I have been on most of them with their "wifi"... I'm okay with it....you can squeak some FB posts by and update BD if your lucky...text messages are a bit better..... But running your business from the stateroom of your favorite LR business is still a long ways a away....thank god!!

Then there is the magical islands that long range trips create.... Where else can a public works trash collector, IBM tech and a Standing judge get together and work and feel as equals? Who cares what you do or what character you are voting for....tell me again about that top secret wahoo jig you created! It truly is a mental as well as a physical vacation......so remember when that character is kicking back in the lounge and the bite is off the hook! It's not all about the bite....it's all about being on the island!

Great topic!