Clamp for Lexa 300

SaltH20Angler

I'm not superstitious... cuz it's bad luck.
Aug 6, 2016
SoCal - Corona
Name
Christopher
Boat
I know a couple guys...
I found a nice custom 7' deckhand style glass rod on craigslist a month or so ago. The grip is the cork material. After checking it out I figured it would be a really good bass rod. There's no indication of what kind of blank it is that I can tell but it doesn't matter because I like the rod a lot.That in itself gave me a good reason to want to pick up a Lexa 300. Also, because I hear good things from everybody I ask.

I'm hoping to get advice from you guys on whether a clamp is made to fit Lexa 300 reels. I know that there is a clamp for a Lexa 400 but I can't really find a Lexa 300 on any of the clamp charts I'm finding online.

I'm not afraid to make a little modification if it's clean and the final product stays where it's put if that's what I have to do.

I appreciate any advice or input you can give that puts me in the right direction.

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV
Call Tiburon Engineering and ask. They may know off the bat.

Originally, they did not make lefty clamps for the LEXA 401 and just milled down the other side to make it work. The limiting factor is the fastener. You can only shave so much before it gets to the threads.

There is also those strap reel seats that guys use for spinners on DH rods. That might work.

Another option, buy another rod that needs a Lexa400 with the Tib clamp. Then you have one on hand to see if it fits!

:rockin:

Reactions: SaltH20Angler

SaltH20Angler

Aug 6, 2016
SoCal - Corona
Name
Christopher
Boat
I know a couple guys...
Fuji LS-7 reel plate is an option
Thank you for the point in the right direction. I looked around a bit online and it seems that a real seat has to be built into the rod. The whole issue I'm running into is that my deckhand rod does not have a reel seat which is why I am looking for a clamp.

I realize I'm probably not connecting the dots on your recommendation or my online research has failed me. LOL

Can you expand a little further on how the real seat / plate can help me attach my Lexa 300 to a deckhand style rod? I really appreciate your time and help on this.

SaltH20Angler

Aug 6, 2016
SoCal - Corona
Name
Christopher
Boat
I know a couple guys...
Call Tiburon Engineering and ask. They may know off the bat.

There is also those strap reel seats that guys use for spinners on DH rods. That might work.

:rockin:
I called Tiburon but no one answered. Thanks to your post I was able to locate them online and sent an email. I'll make sure to follow up and let everyone know what I found out, especially if there is a Tiburon clamp that works for the Lexa 300.

Do you happen to know what those strap Reel Seats are called. I never knew you could strap a spinning reel on a deckhand rod. Interesting...

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV
Do you happen to know what those strap Reel Seats are called. I never knew you could strap a spinning reel on a deckhand rod. Interesting...
Same Fuji seat Butt Hunter is referring to.

Search the forum. there is a lot of info on those Fuji plates.

af dreamer

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 16, 2007
long beach,ca
Name
tom
Boat
44 luhrs dreamer
Diawa at one time made a reel seat accessory clamp for Saltist and Saltigas,does anyone know if it would fit the Lexa?I have a brand new one I never used.Tom

Paulo Grandez

Sep 28, 2014
Name
Paulo
Boat
N/A
For the same amount of money you're going to spend on a clamp you can have a real seat installed on your deckhand rod. Just about any reputable tackle shop in SoCal can do that for you.

tmitch760

Aug 6, 2008
Santee
Name
T.J.
Boat
Triumph 21 cc
Good luck on your search bro, I was wondering the same. Probably best to find another rod with a reel seat. You could probably find a used Okuma Guide Select rod or Diawa swimbait rod very reasonable. I have a couple... Last one I bought used was 60 bucks. Worth it!

Paulo Grandez

Sep 28, 2014
Name
Paulo
Boat
N/A
Less than $50 I did it about 2 years ago and I only paid $26

Last edited:

SaltH20Angler

Aug 6, 2016
SoCal - Corona
Name
Christopher
Boat
I know a couple guys...
Good luck on your search bro, I was wondering the same...
Your gonna have to show me what you are talkin about when we fish soon, bro. So close to Spring, when the YT are gonna be on the chew, literally moving the clocks forward on Sunday. :rockin:

Next time we fish, I'm going to show you this little mystery custom deckhand rod I got. You're going to know why I want to put a Lexa 300 on it.

I thought Paulo's recommendation was pretty solid. I don't know why I didn't think about it, but I could get a reel seat put on this for about the same price as a clamp.

Then again, I might try to connect with Tom in LB, I grew up there and still visit family there all the time. That is... if Tom wants to consider selling the clamp (and it fits). I don't mind wrapping a couple more layers of that elastic tape (I use on my thumb) around the handle to tighten the fit of a clamp if I have to.

SaltH20Angler

Aug 6, 2016
SoCal - Corona
Name
Christopher
Boat
I know a couple guys...
I would just get a Lexa400.
I like your thinking...cuz I got that reel first. TJ, the "Unamed Skipper" who shall remained unnamed, and my good buddy Benny introduced me to that line. After hearing/seeing how much they like those reels, that I knew I had to get one (or two...).

Reactions: tmitch760

SaltH20Angler

Aug 6, 2016
SoCal - Corona
Name
Christopher
Boat
I know a couple guys...
For the same amount of money you're going to spend on a clamp you can have a real seat installed on your deckhand rod. Just about any reputable tackle shop in SoCal can do that for you.
Paulo, I followed through on your recommendation. Thank you again for pointing me in the right direction. I have never had a rod built or even repaired, so this was a new thing to me. I didn't expect the cost to be anywhere close to the $26 you paid a few years back, but decided to look into putting a reel seat on the deckhand rod.

My go to shop for reel service is B&F Rod and Reel in Ontario, CA. They are really great. BUFF (stands for Big Ugly Fat Friend) never has told me his real name and owns the shop with his wife Lonnie. This is a great tackle and repair shop where you will come in for 5 minutes and leave 2 hours later. BUFF and Lonnie have forgotten more than I will probably ever learn about fishing. Not to mention, he always has a joke or story to tell anyone about anything they are interested in about fishing. If you are lucky, and I mean really lucky...you might just get one of Lonnie's homemade scones offered to you.

Places like B&F Rod and Reel are far and few between and are a precious resource in my opinion. I am not certain how long BUFF and Lonnie have been working on reels and rods, but it has to be at least 40 years. BUFF recently told me that his mother (rest in peace) was wrapping rods at the age of 100 before she passed away last year. Simply put, if Buff and Lonnie cant fix it, repair it, clean it, modify it, or build it...it probably cant be done at all.

Well long story short, BUFF charged me $35 to break down the bottom half of the rod, install a reel seat, and rebuild the bottom of the rod to match exactly how it looked before I the work was done. He even called me back to the shop to ensure the seat fit the Lexa 300 perfectly, and to make any adjustment needed to put the reel seat exactly where it felt most comfortable for my grip and arm length. He asked me to give him 2 weeks and the job was done early. I cant say enough good things about BUFF and Lonnie and I am so excited to put this rod and reel combo together.

Here are a few pics...

20180317_102743_resized.jpg 20180410_154530.jpg 20180412_071211_resized.jpg 20180412_071229_resized.jpg 20180412_071235_resized.jpg

SaltH20Angler

Aug 6, 2016
SoCal - Corona
Name
Christopher
Boat
I know a couple guys...
Awesome bro, Now we need to go catch some fish.
Funny that you say that TJ. I was texting you as I got the notification of your post. We're going to La Jolla Saturday... need a 3rd guy. Text me if you're interested buddy.

Marco450r

Well-Known "Member"
Oct 16, 2016
Imperial Beach
Name
marco
Boat
your boat
I'm in the same problem I ordered a rod didnt come with a reel seat now I have to pay to return it and restocking fee for my lexa 300 hd So lucky i came across this post