Badger

Almost A Member
Sep 9, 2003
T.O.
Name
Jimbo
Boat
26 Davis Explorer
I like the new big launch ramp they built at Channel Islands Harbor (across from Sec 8 housing on the water) but strangely enough, it is not being used? It is largely empty at the launch ramp parking. Guess with the new ramp came the new fees - Parking - Double, Wash down, Double, Guest slip, Double. Peeps are launching north or
taking the truck and trailer home.

Guess" build it and they will run" is the theme at CIH - No trash cans. No service, new bathroom is a disgrace. But hey, these are the new fees, read them and weep. County Run!

Oh I see, we have plans for a new two story CIHP building going up. So do our tax dollars not cover enough of your expenses already? Just saying. Now they are talking about aquaculture mussels in the channel requiring vast amounts of ocean space to be ripped from our usage areas once again.

Oh and fishing is slow, but not to worry, the gill nets and drag boats are doing great off the beach and a mile off any of the fabled Marine Sanctuary of the Channel Islands.

F this BS!

Rant over :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

polfishski

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 5, 2008
Descanso
Name
Tom
Boat
20 SkipJack (Tail Chaser)
Lets say California is a sport boat. That being said, nothing is going to improve until the entire operation undergoes a change of management.

Reactions: marlyn
Upvote 0

Junglepeanut

Lost at Sea
May 13, 2014
Name
Roger
Boat
Parker 1800
While I am with you on the gill nets, drag boats and losing turf I gotta say launching anywhere else makes me appreciate how nice CIH is. The fees are what they are, ramps are nice and tons of parking. Every time I head south I miss CI.

Upvote 0

Badger

Almost A Member
Sep 9, 2003
T.O.
Name
Jimbo
Boat
26 Davis Explorer
Well, You are right about going south anymore. Damn. Gill nets you can walk across on the coast (3 to 1 mile off) and a mile off Bechers and Rhodes is
somehow allowed. We close off 25% to sport and more to come, but allow this? F ing Crazy.

Drag boats work from Mugu to UCSB every day.

Upvote 0

fishkilr

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Aug 27, 2012
long beach,ca.u.s.a.
Name
alby
Boat
None
Now they are talking about aquaculture mussels in the channel requiring vast amounts of ocean space to be ripped from our usage areas once again
Wow.. I know that cih is a little cleaner than most so cal harbors but farming filter feeding mussels for human consumption???

Upvote 0

mullet

Metal Fabricator
Jan 10, 2006
Brookings Oregon
Name
mike
Boat
19"Gregor
I don't mind the fees for the new ramp the old one made me feel like I was launching in Baja.But they really need to supply a dumpster for us.

Upvote 0

Badger

Almost A Member
Sep 9, 2003
T.O.
Name
Jimbo
Boat
26 Davis Explorer
Yep - 80 to 100 ft steel Drag Trawlers - Cables to Steel 20 ton Doors with a net in between. There are two in operation that I know of on the coast.

Also,

There seems to be a loophole for the gill nets that allows them to
set a mile off anywhere at the islands. They are pushed 3 miles off the coast
for a period of time then are allowed to move just a mile off.

Hell there was a net off Mugu Canyon I swear was no 3 miles but no one is enforcing it especially at night when they work it.

The Mussel thing will be in the channel, and they are going their BS peer review meetings for stakeholders nonsense. If we were not fooled before that it had nothing to do with fishing and more to do about taking away from the GP 25% of the Islands and coastal points.

Here is a prime example and reason not to attend or respect another ass clown rodeo in the guise of saving nemo.

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
Don't stop now Jim, those fuckers!!

Wolverine 20170725.jpg

Reactions: moorefish
Upvote 0

Megamonster

Almost A Member
Jul 16, 2016
Hueneme
Name
Darryl
Boat
Robalo
F..k farming mussel off the beach.... that's what beachouses are for. shutting down fishing off our coast to farm raise mussels is only good for the love and money ! welcome to California by the fee..... makes me sick

Upvote 0

Badger

Almost A Member
Sep 9, 2003
T.O.
Name
Jimbo
Boat
26 Davis Explorer
We all know the closures were not about saving the fish, more about kicking the public out so we don't see what they are doing out there. Freddie always said Aquaculture will be our demise.

Well we see now that the nets are allowed to destroy the halibut and WSB fishery once again. Another way to eliminate the GP fisherman to make way..

Look at the counts over the 4th up here, 1300 people on 15 sport boats a day catch 2 halibut at the Islands?? Not counting the mosquito fleet, but still! Warm water is not helping but the net guys did 200 to 500 halibut a day at Rosa.

This pisses me off more than the Sunfish did, LOL - F' ing bullshit.

Reactions: fishingfrank
Upvote 0

apogee

My name is Apogee and I am a Squidaholic
Jan 29, 2009
Bakersfield
Name
Apogee..
Boat
Boston Whaler Outrage 28 (End Game)
Too bad..things were so much better. Now everybody is crooked.....Ap

Upvote 0

Junglepeanut

Lost at Sea
May 13, 2014
Name
Roger
Boat
Parker 1800
State is only "green" if it lines somebody's pockets with "green". These people could care less about the oceans/environment its all a money/power grab. The day I retire is the day I can get out of this loony bin.

Upvote 0

Junglepeanut

Lost at Sea
May 13, 2014
Name
Roger
Boat
Parker 1800
Yea, the $11 really doesn't bother me for as nice as the facility is and with all the parking. The bathroom is a joke though.

Upvote 0

Flatinfifth

May 30, 2007
California
Name
Angel Sanchez-Figueras
Boat
Skeeter 21
...............and we keep voting the same low-life scum into office. Freedom is only one generation away from tyranny.

Upvote 0

J-Dog

Almost A Member
Nov 13, 2007
Valencia
Name
Jason
Boat
43' Bertram "PierFection"
Thank god they don't let you throw a cast net to catch bait, you might harm the ecosystem with it. The drag net boats are much less destructive.

Reactions: onehottip
Upvote 0