Predatormonster

PredatorMonster
May 18, 2013
Cali
Name
Dan Monster
Boat
Predatormonster
Tuesday . No bait for sale . No mackerel around ? First time not finding it . Only one spanish . Used it all day in 12 different areas . No fish . No birds . Found the dolphin out of yellow banks . Trolled with them for a couple hours . Nada . No Marlin seen . Only caught Lobster . It was one of those days where the birds are sleeping .The water is calm and not much current . If you want YFT . Its going to take a lot of live chum and run and gun on the dolphin . Unless you get lucky on the troll . Everyone was just running over the dolphin repeatedly . The dolphin split up and were gone . The inshore island fishing was terrible . No bait around . 75 degrees .

steelhead88

Marriage is not a word; it is a sentence!
Aug 18, 2008
Ventura
Name
Scott
Boat
GRAYLIGHT- Custom 23' Aluminum Pilothouse
Hey, sounds like my last trip out except that you managed to find ONE more bait than we did! ha ha

Sounds like you got your monies worth out of that Spanish mac! Wow, 12 times...should've taken a pic of that poor bait at the end of the day. Perhaps that mac was the reincarnation of Hitler....gotta look for a little levity when the fishing gets tough.

dan_m2

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 12, 2008
Santa Barbara
Name
Daniel
Boat
22' Radon "Ocean View"
Were you on the boat with us? LOL

The dolphin only looked intermittently excited. Most of the time they were on the move, rarely looked like they were feeding. Metered very little under them.

Anyone check the Santa Rosa flats yesterday?

bobby jimmy

May 12, 2015
Name
bobby jimmy
Boat
Irreconcilable Difference
It's a little annoying that Ciscos often is unwilling to sell bait. I know they have bait; they just won't sell it. It's understandable that they prioritize their own boats when bait is low, but they also seem to put very little effort into catching it. I wish there were some competition in the harbor, as they seem to have a monopoly. I assume the problem is that it's too difficult to get a commercial fishing license compared to the low profit from catching bait?

salty nuts

Jun 2, 2004
Camarillo
Name
Tim Mohawk
Boat
25 Davis Rockharbor Volvo D4-260 TailChaser
They have bait bought some today..it's El Niño your are lucky to have anything! Their boats come first...

fishin83

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 1, 2013
oxnard
Name
HB
Boat
21' cc
The Traveler, which is cisco's bait boat, works extremely hard trying to catch bait. Most mornings when you leave the harbor, you'll notice the Traveler is not at dock. Their still out after being gone all night. Their is competition in the harbor in the form of the Magic at hooks (if you wanna call it competition). Normally, during other years, their is always plenty of bait to be had at Ciscos. This year is an exceptionally warm year, and bait is often hard to find and/or catch. Sardines and anchovies prefer cooler waters than what we've been experiencing. Every landing to San Diego is experiencing the same issues. So don't say that they don't try hard enough because that's not the case.

bobby jimmy

May 12, 2015
Name
bobby jimmy
Boat
If you bothered to read my post before commenting on it you would see that I said "its understandable that they prioritize their own boats." My point is that there is no competition, because I can hardly cruise down to MDR to grab some bait.

J-Dog

Nov 13, 2007
Valencia
Name
Jason
Boat
43' Bertram "PierFection"
Bobby Jimmy, if you bothered to readFishin83's post you could calm down. The competition is only about 400 yards away from Channel Islands Sportfishing (AKA Ciscos). Hooks landing has good bait and is often overlooked by the out of town trailer boaters that only make it up here for a hot bite posted on the Internet. They often have very good cured bait as well, because people from out of town drive right over to CI sportfishing and load up on bait. Hooks is not 24 hours like CI sportfishing but call ahead, they will often be there at 4:00am. They used to even come in earlier if you called ahead and requested bait earlier for a big trip. They provide very good service.

CI sportfishing is a great outfit but as was mentioned already some times they have to hold some bait back for their own boats. We are very fortunate to have two good bait suppliers at CI harbor, your third option is Ventura sportfishing. They are just a few miles from CI harbor. If I was trailering I would call each one to see who could accommodate me with bait.

bobby jimmy

May 12, 2015
Name
bobby jimmy
Boat
So, "J-Dog", I've had a slip Channel Islands Harbor for 6 years, so I'm not a "trailer boater" who made it up there for a "hot bite posted in the Internet." I'm just telling you that Ciscos told me that Hooks wouldn't have bait if they didn't have bait because "Hooks gets their bait from us." So maybe that's not true-- I have no idea as I'm not really in the "bait business." Hey, I understand why they do what they do; I would do the same thing if I had a monopoly on the business. That must be awesome for them. It's just not so awesome for the rest of us who plan a trip, travel hours to the marina, and then they don't even bother to put a sign out on the dock that says "no bait." All I said is that it would be nice if there were some competition to make it a bit more customer friendly. It's strange that such a statement would be controversial, but it's no big deal!

Predatormonster

PredatorMonster
May 18, 2013
Cali
Name
Dan Monster
Boat
Predatormonster
I would pay 100 bucks for a great scoop of sardines sometimes . Don't tell them that ! It may be possible that they have bait .Maybe the sport boat captains want us at a disadvantage so they have less boat pressure .Makes you go HMMMMM ??? Doesn't it ?

J-Dog

Nov 13, 2007
Valencia
Name
Jason
Boat
43' Bertram "PierFection"
Bobby Jimmy, no problem. I keep all three in my contact list. I always call the night before a trip and check status. This season on a couple of occasions, I have had CI sportfishing tell me they were out and were anticipating getting bait by morning. Not wanting to be disappointed by no bait or getting hot bait (fresh off the boat). I called Hooks and they had a good supply of sardines that had been in the receiver for 3-4 days. No brainier on my choice, they lasted me to the Osborne bank, Catalina, and back with only about a dozen pieces dying. Due to their hours Hooks is my second choice.

terryc.

Mar 12, 2006
Chatsworth
Name
Terry
Boat
20 ft. Marlin cc
Here's the deal I was out yesterday on one of Ciscos boats bait was crappy mostly pinhead chovies I asked the Captain whats up with the bait and he said they are only getting half as much bait as they usually are as there isnt even enough to go around on there boats.

dpflaumer

May 30, 2011
Ventura, CA
Name
Doug P
Boat
32 Luhrs
So, "J-Dog", I've had a slip Channel Islands Harbor for 6 years, so I'm not a "trailer boater" who made it up there for a "hot bite posted in the Internet." I'm just telling you that Ciscos told me that Hooks wouldn't have bait if they didn't have bait because "Hooks gets their bait from us." So maybe that's not true-- I have no idea as I'm not really in the "bait business." Hey, I understand why they do what they do; I would do the same thing if I had a monopoly on the business. That must be awesome for them. It's just not so awesome for the rest of us who plan a trip, travel hours to the marina, and then they don't even bother to put a sign out on the dock that says "no bait." All I said is that it would be nice if there were some competition to make it a bit more customer friendly. It's strange that such a statement would be controversial, but it's no big deal!
Hooks catches their own bait, the owner takes his boat out called Magic. There is no love lost between Ciscos and Hooks, that's for sure. I like Hooks better because the owner is friendly and hooked me up a time or two.

Last edited:
Reactions: bobby jimmy

Predatormonster

PredatorMonster
May 18, 2013
Cali
Name
Dan Monster
Boat
Predatormonster
complaining should help , or maybe do what everyone else does------TRY
I wasn't complaining you moron . I was giving a true report of current conditions for guys who fish . By the way , my five year old can write a complete sentence better than yours .

Predatormonster

PredatorMonster
May 18, 2013
Cali
Name
Dan Monster
Boat
Predatormonster
Looks like the tuna boats got out to the Osborne and completely devastated the schools . I hope when they leave a new batch shows up . Anyone find any mackerel around lately ? It was MIA everywhere on tuesday .

terryc.

Mar 12, 2006
Chatsworth
Name
Terry
Boat
20 ft. Marlin cc
Seiners didn't wrap everything just took a big chunk and scattered them.