Pescador Paul

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jun 11, 2004
Carlsbad, CA
Name
Paul
Boat
Sold the Pursuit- Only a kayak and Wave Runner now
Has anyone tried chunking for the bluefin we are seeing all over the place? Seems like drifting and setting up a chunk line might be worth trying.

Paul

Reactions: FishAcquisition
Upvote 0

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
  • Oct 19, 2012
    California
    Name
    Shewillbemine
    Boat
    Chips N Guac
    I don't have personal experience with chunking, but I've read about the strategy for West Coast fishing.

Tell you what, the more I watch Wicked Tuna, the more I'm convinced chunking is the ONLY way to catch these fish consistently.

Reactions: FishAcquisition
    Upvote 0

makairaa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    May 1, 2005
    Tustin CA
    Name
    Philip Hunkins
    Boat
    17 starcraft
    If you can find an area with consistent meter marks chunking works. Our bluefin do not stack up on banks like their east coast cousins so chunking is not as productive on a regular basis. Works great when you get a school of yellowfin to the boat.

Upvote 0

Croaker.Stroker

Old White Guy
    Nov 28, 2015
    Tustin
    Name
    Croaker
    Boat
    Arima Sea Pacer

7F41E0A8-46E2-45DA-87D2-0617BB5638A2.jpeg

Upvote 0

Pescador Paul

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jun 11, 2004
    Carlsbad, CA
    Name
    Paul
    Boat
    Sold the Pursuit- Only a kayak and Wave Runner now
    The long range boats used to do a lot of chunking at the Islands when they were open. I am surprised none of them has tried the technique locally this summer.

Upvote 0

swami 805

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Mar 9, 2016
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    sunk it
    If your on a private boat it could work. Would be tough on a party boat with everyone trying to fish a chunk. That would be one jammed up corner.
    We used to chunk for albacore out of Morro Bay when we all we had was a block of frozen bait. Worked pretty good at times

Reactions: shellback
    Upvote 0

Beez

Almost A Member
    Jul 18, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Name
    Beez
    Boat
    NA
    I have not done this in a long time but it does work
    When the bait dies on us we started chunking pieces of them and hooked up a few bft

A few years ago on the Aztec we did this. We were running low on bait so started chumming with chunks instead of live bait. Captain Greg started fishing with chunks and hooked and handed off 3 BFT. He said since the BFT were eating the chum they’d eat the hooked chunk too.

Reactions: Chicago Pete
    Upvote 0

Xue

Jan 3, 2015
    Name
    Xue
    Boat
    None
    Isn't chumming common practice? Chum with chunks to keep fish around the boat, or even to bring them in?

Upvote 0

GrabBass1

GrabBass1
    May 12, 2009
    Menifee, CA United States
    Name
    Joe
    Boat
    2008 176 Sea Pro Center Console - GrabBass II
    We hooked up to a big one yesterday after shutting down and chunking along with a long drift with fly-lined ‘dines. Nothing else was working as the schools would sink out as soon as we got close enough to cast. Unfortunately I farmed the only one I hooked but it was cool that it worked. We got way too impatient after that and started trolling - for nada...

Upvote 0

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
    Mar 9, 2012
    Too far from water
    Name
    Beeulzebob
    Boat
    uh....
    I’ve had success with a long soak dine and chunking up dead bait every few minutes. I think the chunk gets their attention and maybe intrigues their appetite.

Upvote 0

tjohnson619

Almost A Member
    Jul 21, 2013
    Crest CA
    Name
    tony
    Boat
    32' tolleycraft
    We have had some good bft and yft on long soak sardine and chunking up dead bait to chum with... since we can only carry a scoop it's hard to use live bait to chum with and not run out early... so we normally pull out the one that rolled and cut them up... some times we just get a extra net or two from the bait barge in a bucket just for chum

Upvote 0

SaltH20Angler

I'm not superstitious... cuz it's bad luck.
  • Aug 6, 2016
    SoCal - Corona
    Name
    Christopher
    Boat
    I know a couple guys...
    X2...

A half scoop is $35 and a full scoop is $45. We will get the full scoop, fill up the tank with a about half a scoop (leavin a little room for a dozen Macks). The rest go into a bucket with ice to keep em fresh as I can.

I picked up one of those stainless steel EMT shears that I saw in one of @Hardcor videos for a dollar at a yard sale and it makes short work of dines and mini macks without having to use a cutting board (less mess).

Upvote 0