Chubasco

Jun 25, 2020
Santa Barbara
Name
Alex
Boat Name
None
Looking for other Wilson hull fans. I've cooked up a 10 foot Wilson influenced model and considering going to the next step. This model has a few inches in length and beam on a Hawkins skiff.

MINI_Wilson_2021-Oct-03_07-41-43AM-000_CustomizedView28472717374_mp4.gif

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SurfSeeker

Captain
Jan 8, 2014
Santa Barbara
Name
Taylor
Boat Name
Livingston 14 - For now...
Looking for other Wilson hull fans. I've cooked up a 10 foot Wilson influenced model and considering going to the next step. This model has a few inches in length and beam on a Hawkins skiff.

View attachment 1323488
I really enjoy seeing all of these small skiffs being envisioned and built! I'd love to see a micro-Wilson! As someone that has a little experience with a 10' boat I would strongly suggest making it a foot or a foot and a half longer. I believe the benefits of a extra 12-18 inches far outweigh the increase in weight. Don't get me wrong, I love my boat, but I think there was a reason George eventually designed a bigger boat.

There seems to be a resurgence of micro surf-craft! Anderson's has their new JEM in production, Jeff Hull appears to be building some sort of micro-Radon from time to time, Mexi-Cat seems to be popping a new cat out of a mold every other week, and there are a hand full of guys building their own dreams from scratch!

Jun 25, 2020
Santa Barbara
Name
Alex
Boat Name
None
I really enjoy seeing all of these small skiffs being envisioned and built! I'd love to see a micro-Wilson! As someone that has a little experience with a 10' boat I would strongly suggest making it a foot or a foot and a half longer. I believe the benefits of a extra 12-18 inches far outweigh the increase in weight. Don't get me wrong, I love my boat, but I think there was a reason George eventually designed a bigger boat.

There seems to be a resurgence of micro surf-craft! Anderson's has their new JEM in production, Jeff Hull appears to be building some sort of micro-Radon from time to time, Mexi-Cat seems to be popping a new cat out of a mold every other week, and there are a hand full of guys building their own dreams from scratch!

Your Hawkins rebuild is a true inspiration, and it is exciting to see all these watercraft coming to life with that genesis. Thanks for sharing your experience operating the Hawkins locally, that kind of first-hand wisdom is uncommon to say the least and invaluable!

The original use case for this skiff is to put on top of a teardrop camper for travel camping adventures. My calculations indicate a bare, glassed hull would weigh ~62lbs not including any features such as strakes, stringers, gunwales, deck, storage, safety gear, or motor.

I'm having a difficult time imagining how I might get it up on top of a trailer, and how it would ride over the freeway. Might be a non-starter. Still working through it and thinking I need to develop the 3d model a little further. A better visualization would definitely help.

Upvote 0