anemic

circling the drain
Mar 6, 2004
Long Beach
Name
Chuck
Boat
nope
this is what dropped back for tuna long before SPJ, flat fall, etc.

surf-shot-Tady-BA-3_4_5_6.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LR Houdini

Jun 26, 2020
Long Beach, Ca.
Name
Don Burnett
Boat
N/A
I saw these on www.surfaceiron.com
I had four of these older Tady BA’s … the B standing for brass..
I used to throw them for wahoo … my old jigs were chrome with other wahoo colorings… so I used some paint thinner and removed the colors … thus solid bright chrome … I stuck some turquoise bright blue tape on one side … I left the treble hooks on this time … didn’t want to solder rings and single hooks…
These jigs in chrome and blue work “big time” … the treble hooks do OK on the smaller bluefin …

380DFD79-62A0-4F23-A800-1D4C3F6AA4D4.jpeg

Upvote 0

TOTW

Time On The Water
Dec 23, 2005
San Diego
Name
Chris L
Boat
Leo's
I’m sure it would work. I’ve seen all kinds of weird stuff get bit at night. The drawbacks will be the relatively slower sink and the added effort to reel it in.

Reactions: ChicoBob
Upvote 0

LR Houdini

Jun 26, 2020
Long Beach, Ca.
Name
Don Burnett
Boat
N/A
These Tady BA’s are no replacement for the larger flat-falls, but just another arrow in the quiver when trying to get them finicky bluefin to at least take a taste … I’d never try dropping these jigs at night when the big boys are around… but during the early morning hours or during the daytime when you make a stop on the smaller rat-tuna🐀🐟 roll in and everyone’s using the 80-100-130 gram flat-falls 🎣… (got a bucket load of them too)…
These heavy brass blue and chrome jigs work exceptionally well.
Maybe it’s the chunky shape like me or the chrome flash ?
Even the 40# class tuna gobble them up … you can get away with 40-50# fluorocarbon all day long on these jigs … when only a handful of the smaller grade of bluefin are caught on a 1 1/2 -2-3 day trip out of San Diego… and Only One person using this kind/type of smaller jig accounts for the most tuna caught … that opened my eyes…. I used to have four of these jigs, but I gave two to my friend … he only had one and on one trip he was killing the smaller grade of bluefin … can’t say how many fish 🐟 🎣 he caught on several trips … I’d have to take my rubber boots off on one trip to count them … when they won’t bite a jig go back to fly lining a sardine … shoulder hooked bait… not too deep and 35# Blackwater fluorocarbon and/or 40# fluorocarbon…
If the only # test they’ll bite on is 40# and the tuna are in the 100#+++ class plan on being hooked up for an hour 🤞🤞🤞.
I’ve seen these smaller Tady BA’s score time and time again …
Bluefin 🐟 like then … why ? … who cares !
Even the Tady 9’s in blue/chrome work …
My outside freezer’s full of bluefin tuna … my wife isn’t that fond of it … but I managed to snag a small yellowfin 🐠 tuna on my last trip… now … I forgot how great it tasted off of a cast iron grill pan … I’ve been smoking a lot of bluefin tuna lately on my Treager … I’m starting to get it down … tasty 😋 stuff …
More 🎣 bull 🐮 to come after a 😴

Upvote 0

AWilliams

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
May 18, 2009
Ramona, Ca.
Name
Alin Williams
Boat
none
Remember....all these older style jigs were around WAY before sk jigs, flat falls, knife jigs etc....and they all work to some degree some of the time, under certain conditions. Nothing works all the time under all conditions.

Reactions: JamesZ and Cubeye
Upvote 0