Steveo77

Steveo77
Apr 22, 2012
Rancho Cucamonga CA
Name
Steve
Boat
Grumpy
I seen one of these on Craigslist a few years back, but didn't have the $ for it. So when I saw another add on CL, I had to jump on it. She needs some work, but that's alright. It'll keep me out of the bar.
I'm looking for any experience that anyone has had with one of these boats, is it a wet ride, does it toss you around, blah blah blah. Personally, I like the shape of the hull, and the bracket makes it look even better. Thanks for looking, and check out my boat!

image.jpg image.jpg

Upvote 0

agarcia

Almost A Member
May 19, 2006
Nor*Cal
Name
Art Garcia
Boat
rowboat
Rides like a caddy floating on clouds, bow flare keeps the ride pretty dry in anything but the meanest crosswinds. Ran mine through all kinds of crap weather around the sf area and monterrey. Not the stablest at drift but really not that bad imo. Mine got worse when I added a radar arch.

That being said, the company changed hands a couple times, production varied and not all the boats were created equally. I'd get underneath it and look for longitudinal cracks along the strakes and gel coat cracks beneath the stringers. You can also pull the rod boxes from the gunnels and check the tabbing along bulkheads beneath the deck. Pull the gas tank coffin lid and check the bulkheads for moisture and rot. That whole compartment is prone to moisture due to the pvc drain line they built in. There's a couple other spots the factory just cut drain holes in the stringers and left exposed wood....horrible.

Of course I've seen others that were pretty solid and the sticky at the top of the check out my boat section is a godly example of what they could be.

Upvote 0

Steveo77

Steveo77
Apr 22, 2012
Rancho Cucamonga CA
Name
Steve
Boat
Grumpy
Rides like a caddy floating on clouds, bow flare keeps the ride pretty dry in anything but the meanest crosswinds. Ran mine through all kinds of crap weather around the sf area and monterrey. Not the stablest at drift but really not that bad imo. Mine got worse when I added a radar arch.

That being said, the company changed hands a couple times, production varied and not all the boats were created equally. I'd get underneath it and look for longitudinal cracks along the strakes and gel coat cracks beneath the stringers. You can also pull the rod boxes from the gunnels and check the tabbing along bulkheads beneath the deck. Pull the gas tank coffin lid and check the bulkheads for moisture and rot. That whole compartment is prone to moisture due to the pvc drain line they built in. There's a couple other spots the factory just cut drain holes in the stringers and left exposed wood....horrible.

Of course I've seen others that were pretty solid and the sticky at the top of the check out my boat section is a godly example of what they could be.
Excellent info. Thank you

Upvote 0

spear-fish

Something smells fishey
Aug 26, 2005
Chino
Name
Mike
Boat
77 Skippy 20 Open OB Spear-Fish III
One of the best riding boats I have owned. Unfortunately was unable to keep her.

[photo=medium]173146[/photo][photo=medium]173141[/photo]

We enclosed the transom and took out the (storage seats?) or whatever they were. The storage boxes took up too much space for us.

[photo=medium]140780[/photo]

IMG_1044.JPG

Upvote 0

Steveo77

Steveo77
Apr 22, 2012
Rancho Cucamonga CA
Name
Steve
Boat
Grumpy
One of the best riding boats I have owned. Unfortunately was unable to keep her.

[photo="medium"]173146[/photo] [photo="medium"]173141[/photo]
We enclosed the transom and took out the (storage seats?) or whatever they were. The storage boxes took up too much space for us.

[photo="medium"]140780[/photo]
View attachment 644450
That's too bad what happened to your boat. She looked like a beauty. What motor did you have on her?

Upvote 0

BrianS

Boatswain's Mate
Mar 23, 2014
NorCal
Name
Brian
Boat
"Dinosaur" Stringari PH
I aways like the lines of those boats and I almost bought one a few years back. Good luck with the build and post lots of pics.

Reactions: Steveo77
Upvote 0

Steveo77

Steveo77
Apr 22, 2012
Rancho Cucamonga CA
Name
Steve
Boat
Grumpy
So the first order of business was the bow eye. It was sloppy, and there was a hole in the anchor locker, where the nuts for the bow eye was. I cut a larger hole to see what was going on down there, and removed the bow eye. After removing the bow eye, started grinding and cutting.
The pics show bare wood blocking that was rotted like a mofo, where the eye was bolted in. So I cut it all out and put 5 layers of 6oz glass over the holes. Im not a fiberglass guy, but was told that 5 layers of 6oz glass would be strong enough to hold, even if I need to wench the boat up the trailer some. I am having a hard time accepting that, so I'll add another block, and glass that in, and epoxy the inside of the holes after I drill them out. I'll be adding those pics later, in the meantime, here is pics of my progress thus far. Any advise on glass work is welcome here, along with where to buy it, other then worse marine.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Upvote 0

spear-fish

Something smells fishey
Aug 26, 2005
Chino
Name
Mike
Boat
That's too bad what happened to your boat. She looked like a beauty. What motor did you have on her?
The 175 merc I now have on my Skippy. You will love the ride on the boat but I must admit not all the fit and finish is spot on, I might still have the plexiglass door to the cabin if you need it. Ill look around and see if I saved anything else you can have.

Upvote 0

Steveo77

Steveo77
Apr 22, 2012
Rancho Cucamonga CA
Name
Steve
Boat
Grumpy
The 175 merc I now have on my Skippy. You will love the ride on the boat but I must admit not all the fit and finish is spot on, I might still have the plexiglass door to the cabin if you need it. Ill look around and see if I saved anything else you can have.
Thanks man. I'd love to see more pix of your scorpion.

Upvote 0

spear-fish

Something smells fishey
Aug 26, 2005
Chino
Name
Mike
Boat
Thanks man. I'd love to see more pix of your scorpion.
Here are a few from the glory days.
When I first got her.
image.jpeg

Engine and bracket and hull paint.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Painting finished, on the water.

image.jpeg

In the desert

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Upvote 0

bman440440

I am the one who knocks!!!
Sep 8, 2010
San Diego 92117
Name
B-MAN
Boat
Heisenberg(20' Maxum), Sip N' Slide (33' 2 deck w/slide) Ships & Giggles (32' double deck pontoon)
Reactions: viti
Upvote 0

Steveo77

Steveo77
Apr 22, 2012
Rancho Cucamonga CA
Name
Steve
Boat
Grumpy
Replaced and re-plumbed to bait pump. Man, I think the previous owners name was Mickey Mouse. It was amazing the bait pump and bilge was still working. You wouldn't believe the wires I pulled out of there.
Anyways, installed a bigger hatch and put the bait pump sideways, and made a shorter run for the hose.

image.jpeg
Had to make a bigger hole for access. image.jpeg image.jpeg
Epoxy on the exposed woodimage.jpeg
And the finished product. image.jpeg

Upvote 0

DG619

Almost A Member
Jul 17, 2015
Name
Derek Grant
Boat
Tuna Tickler XL
Mine was a Chris Craft 216, now its a 25 pilothouse. Final gel coat gets sprayed tomorrow.

2016-09-28 17.31.43.jpg 2016-09-28 17.32.38.jpg

Reactions: sbsurfer
Upvote 0