Almost A Member
Mar 14, 2006
Long Beach
Name
Joe
Boat
31 Custom
Hello agin,

Some of you may have followed my Bertram 31 build I started in June of 2011. The bertram took 4 1/2 years to build and the learning curve was steep. The boat actully took less time to build due to various reason and not being able to work on her stratight throught the 4 1/2 years. After much thought and a little heart ache, we sold the boat two weeks ago. The boat wasn't up for sale. The right person offered me the right price. After almost 3 years and almost 2000 hours, someone new will enjoy her.

Yesterday the new adventure begain. Chuck(my boat partner) and I purchesed a 1977 (Ray Hunt) 30 Chris Craft tournament. If you are'nt familar with the 30 CC it has almost the same hull desigh as the Bertram 31. So much so, that Bertram sued CC and won the law suit ending production of the 30CC at only "253 ish" hulls built. The plan is to lengthen the boat to 33 feet and build it in the same style as the Bertram with some slight changes. We decided to go with the CC because of the improvements made to the hull under the drection of Ray Hunt. I was able to compare both boats side by side. The CC with the allmost 12' beam dwarfs the Bertram. The plan is to power her with Qsb 5.9 or 6.7 380hp. I hope you enjoy the build process.

Let the deconstruction begin.

Joe

IMG_0795.JPG IMG_5546.JPG IMG_2062.JPG IMG_2063.JPG IMG_5273.JPG IMG_4434.JPG

Upvote 0

carnage007

May 9, 2004
Encino
Name
nick
Boat
to poor
Super cool, wish I had the skill, talent, and patience to do a build of this level. The Bertram build was awesome, must have been a very willing buyer. Looking forward to the CC build thread

Upvote 0

Seaslug

Sep 4, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Neil Chasin
Boat
30 ft. Pursuit Offshore
Looking forward to seeing the new build process. I do still get to admire the Bertram every time I walk to my boat.

Upvote 0

sbsurfer

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 19, 2010
Name
Mark
Boat
29ft Radon - 15ft Hobie Power Skiff
Oh man this is gonna be a fun one to watch!

Upvote 0

Albiebac

Jul 23, 2004
Scripps Ranch
Name
Eric
Boat
25' Skipjack, Albiebac II
The Christina Lynn is such a one-of-kind incredible boat, I imagine the buyer has some deep pockets and "just had to have it", and gave you guys an offer you couldn't refuse.
What you guys did from design to execution was a thing of beauty. Good luck with the new one, and keep us posted, I have a feeling it will be even better....

Upvote 0

Ali

Master of Nothing
Admin
Apr 24, 2003
San Diego
Name
That Guy
Boat
SeaVee 340Z
You guys are crazy for selling the old boat but I can't wait to see what you do with this one.

We looked at a 30 Tournament years ago and fell in love but it wasn't the right boat at the time. Jason and I have talked about building one from the stringers up someday.

I'm sure you guys are gonna kill it. Best of luck brother.

Upvote 0

Trayscool

Captain
Sep 26, 2008
Long Beach
www.skipjackmafia.com
Name
Travis
Boat
NO BOATS
I saw the Bertram at the Alamitos fuel dock a couple months ago and it was by far the most amazing boat Ive ever seen on the water.

I cannot believe you sold it.

But looking forward to the new build, Im sure it will somehow be even better.

Upvote 0

marlyn

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 18, 2005
So Cal
Name
mark
Boat
21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
Looking forward to this!Hate you sold the bert but everything ive heard about the CC 30 was that its hull was even better than the bertram.
Your neighbors are gonna hate you(again),lol.

Upvote 0

watersdeep

I CATCH IT. I KILL IT. I CLEAN IT. I DON'T DELIVER
  • Jan 19, 2016
    LB
    Name
    Jed Venture
    Boat
    the twisted ducker
    When you start glassing can i come by and sniff around a bit, old resin head you know.

Upvote 0

Let em eat 74

Jul 12, 2016
    Anaheim Hills
    Name
    Kevin
    Boat
    Whichever1is leaving
    I’m very interested in what changes you are going to make on this project. Your first seemed so perfect, what areas did you think needed improvement?

Upvote 0

tunacraze

• Nov 27, 2006
    Santee
    Name
    Steve Brunton
    Boat
    The Big Ones
    This is gonna be good! That Bertram was a masterpiece! You guys certainly have some skills! Good luck to you.

Upvote 0

PacificBlue

Nov 25, 2011
    USA
    Name
    JM
    Boat
    Still Looking
    AS you noted, the 30 CC was C. Raymond Hunts improved design over their original 31 Bertram. You picked a great platform to start, should be able to carry bigger ho and more fuel.

Reactions: marlyn
    Upvote 0

BloodyHooker

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Aug 26, 2008
    CA
    Name
    Boat
    Rockharbor SC
    Holy Crap!!! This is going to be insane!!!

Upvote 0