Chivalry Isn't Dead- A Yellowtail Shootout Moment of Class

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by JakeFromStateFarm, Jun 24, 2019.

1. JakeFromStateFarm

JakeFromStateFarm Super Moderator

Name:
    Jake
    Boat:
    Son of a Beach
    First off, I just wanted to say thanks to all the teams that participated in the 2019 BD Outdoors Yellowtail Shootout. We had an excellent turnout and there were some big yellows caught this year with the biggest one of the tourney coming in at 37.1lbs. But the moment that captured everyone's attention came when the BoatUS $2500 Largest Bluefin Tuna Jackpot was announced.
    - 65049670_10219409620369673_8850883065304580096_n.jpg
    Team Reel E-ZE, who's pictured above with their 275-pound beast of a tuna, was a shoo-in to win the $2500 jackpot. Unfortunately, these guys were stopped by the Coast Guard for inspection and the delay took up enough time that it prevented them from getting to the dock in time to weigh the fish. They were 16 minutes late after regulation time for the tournament.
    -
    yft 2019 ytso.jpg
    Now the team that won it, Los Bastardos, won the jackpot with an incredible and whopping 15.4lb YFT!!! It also should be noted that a team or two caught bigger tuna than this but also did not enter into $2500 jackpot which was a $50 buy-in. Los Bastardos was given the $2500 check but what they did after receiving it was pure class. Drew Palmer from Los Bastardos, walks over to team Reel E-ZE and gives the check to them. It was a great sign of respect and a touch of class! The 350+ people in attendance of the banquet stood up to applaud the act. that's what fishing is all about right there it was so cool to see and witness a moment like that. Chivalry isn't dead folks. Below is the moment captured on video! #BDOutdoors
    -

2. Deepsea Warrant

Deepsea Warrant No Status Required

Name:
    Ray
    Boat:
    None
    These little glimpses of decency still provide hope for mankind.

c-goat and JakeFromStateFarm like this.
  3. Fins in the Bin

Fins in the Bin Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    used to fish
    Boat:
    50 Silverton
    Free call in on any paddy for life to those guys!

4. Hooops

Hooops I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Hoops
    Boat:
    17ft Whaler Montauk - "TYFISH"
    Stay Classy...

5. yakdout

yakdout Professional

Name:
    Brandon
    Boat:
    s and hoes
    How did they cash it with the other team name on it?

lowyder993s, Reelpirate and bullyo like this.
  6. Professionull1

Professionull1 Preservation

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Barfy
    Hats off to them

7. Hismosa

Hismosa I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Glenn
    Boat:
    20' Skipjack
    Cool that they did that but not so sure it would have happened if the host didn't guilt trip them and then mock their fish.

Allen Rice, moz2121 and pacificscout like this.
  8. Edward L Russ

Edward L Russ Member

Name:
    Rusty cage
    Boat:
    Mission fishin
    Those guys rule hard choice but a good one .

c-goat likes this.
  9. c-goat

c-goat HELL BENT FOR FEATHER

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
    We were seated right next to their table.When MC said the coast guard caused them to be late for weigh in they said who ever wins should give up their check.This was a moment before they realised they had one.
    Either way this was way cool man.

R&R and repo805 like this.
  10. Buttchaser

Buttchaser Fresh One!

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    None
    Very cool! True class:cheers:

11. riviera off

riviera off Newbie

Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    36,riviera,vines'n lines
    This a Yellowtail Contest.
    BFT should be a bycatch, not a Kite/yummy target.
    There is a Tuna Shootout event for this.
    Same guys beat us last year targeting BFT all day with a kite and yummy, while we fished Yellowtail and came across BFT.
    Just my opinion.

12. JakeFromStateFarm

JakeFromStateFarm Super Moderator

Name:
    Jake
    Boat:
    Son of a Beach
    The big check is just for pics hahah. We send the winning team an actual check.

13. miaf

miaf Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Boat:
    I question if the CG held them up. I find it hard to believe if your respectful and have the conversation with the CG that your in a tournament and in danger of not making the weigh in time if delayed, that they wouldn’t expedite the inspection and get them on their way ASAP. Doesn’t make sense.

14. Can't Parker

Can't Parker Me

Name:
    Doug
    Boat:
    2530 Parker
    Dang, that was very nice. Hats off to Drew and team.

15. dwaynesda

dwaynesda dwayne

Name:
    dwayne
    Boat:
    Cabo 216
    We were hung up by them a few years ago coming in for a weigh-in for a club tourney and they would not let us go until the inspection was complete. They will not shortcut their inspection for 1 minute. Very frustrating to say the least!

16. Husband

Husband RIP ANDY - 1983-2009

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    28 Parker
    Coast guard is all business, all the time, as they should be. They have a tough job.....

Almud, RodRage and palmerpz like this.
  17. MateoFeo

MateoFeo Mucho Take it Easy

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    19' CC
    Wow. So much class. They must be from the whales vagina.
    Nice move fellas.

palmerpz likes this.
  18. WahooUSMA

WahooUSMA Member

Name:
    Roger
    Boat:
    37 Bertram
    That is a class act!

19. TrixKelly

TrixKelly Rancho relaxo Tuna killa

Name:
    CK
    Boat:
    Not gonna do it
    Solid move.

20. Craftyone

Craftyone Newbie

Name:
    Craig Crawford
    Boat:
    Californian
    So if they headed in 17 minutes earlier then they did, they would of made it before the cut off time, coast guard inspection or no coast guard inspection. After catching the big bluefin did they head in right away or did they continue to fish for as long as they could, thereby cutting the weighin deadline too close to begin with? Although it was one teams "choice" to give the check to the late arriving team with the bigger bluefin, it really wasn't, not after the announcer mocked and sort of belittled the team who won with a much smaller yellowfin. The team would of been heckled and disparaged if they kept the check. I would have given the check to the other team but, it got me thinking, rules are rules for a reason and there are no exceptions for excuses.
    I experienced a coast guard inspection and search. I was on my friends 26 ft seacraft with twin mercury 250's on the back. We were doing 50 knots easy headed to dana point from San Diego on a semi calm day with a little chop. With the big mercury 2 strokes howling off the back, his radio, the wind, the chattering of poles, the occasional slap of a wave and us with a death grip on grab bars on the center console I looked back and saw lights flashing way behind us, I thought nothing of it because there were other boats closer to them. 15 minutes later they're farther back and the only boat back there, still with flashing lights. I tell my friend, he slows it way down, its the coast guard and they think we are running from them for some reason. They had been chasing us for a long time, we didn't even know it and we were pulling away. They thought we were drug runners, they searched and gave a thorough safety inspection. It took about 20 mins at the most and they even put a inspection sticker on his windscreen. Shouldn't someone who has a winning fish and in a tournament make sure they head in extra early. If he arrived late because he blew an engine and had to limp back would he still be the winner in the announcers mind. What if he missed the cutoff time because he answered a distress call from a sinking vessel? There's a million reasonable excuses why someone misses a cutoff time, but the rules should be followed without chastising a team if they decide to keep the prize money. They shouldn't feel forced into it. And if you have a winning fish head in early.