Chief out of H&M - Question?

dshark1

Jul 7, 2015
Name
David
Boat
shady 1
You have only heard from a couple passengers who don't make their living on the water what went on and how it was handled...
I know this may come as a shock but I'm sure their is another side to what happened and usually what went on is somewhere in between...
You're right I don't make my living on the water, that's why I paid good money for the expertise of the captain and crew. Just feel like they kind of let us down this time around. perhaps they could have communicated with us a little better.

fishkilr

.better to be a has-been than a never-was..
Aug 27, 2012
long beach,ca.u.s.a.
Name
alby
Boat
None
You are right about communication..
most skippers aren't the i need to explain myself type..
You just have to have confidence that based on their reputation they will do everything they can for a successful trip and if you feel that they didn't you are definitely entitled to express your opinion and not go with them again..
When trips are good they make more money passengers are happy don't complain and return and refer so their effort to make that happen especially Chris and his crew has been consistant over many years...

fishstank

Oct 21, 2011
Encinitas
Name
Michael
Boat
none
You are right about communication..
most skippers aren't the i need to explain myself type..
You just have to have confidence that based on their reputation they will do everything they can for a successful trip and if you feel that they didn't you are definitely entitled to express your opinion and not go with them again..
When trips are good they make more money passengers are happy don't complain and return and refer so their effort to make that happen especially Chris and his crew has been consistant over many years...
Chris? Is that you?

mullet

Metal Fabricator
Jan 10, 2006
San Fernando Valley
Name
Mike
Boat
19"Gregor
Not a shock. Me and my bros were on that trip. I know exactly what went down. You not so much.
Did you or any of your bro's happen to go up to the wheelhouse and ask Chris what was going on?

As you haven't replied to this I am going to take it as a no.As that would have taken a sack to ask him what the deal was.But absolutely no sack to go on the attack from the safety of your keyboard.

Last edited:

fishkilr

Aug 27, 2012
long beach,ca.u.s.a.
Name
alby
Boat
None
Chris? Is that you?
Actually while I fished with Chris several times many years back I don't know him personally..
However we bought his old boat the Indian and use it for our crew trips and 3/4 day in redondo..
My opinion of his rep was formed from conversations with the many skippers I did business with and since we haul bait up here also the hundreds of people (including a slew of the best sticks in so cal)who have shared not only their memories of epic catching trips but of their oft repeated great times just being on the boat..
Funny thing is when we were workin on the Indian while it was still at h and m the chief was parked next to us and they ignored us completely which I understood cause we had his boat and that's always painful..
If a skipper purposely screwed up trips as you guys suggest that wouldn't be the case..

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
Actually while I fished with Chris several times many years back I don't know him personally..
However we bought his old boat the Indian and use it for our crew trips and 3/4 day in redondo..
My opinion of his rep was formed from conversations with the many skippers I did business with and since we haul bait up here also the hundreds of people (including a slew of the best sticks in so cal)who have shared not only their memories of epic catching trips but of their oft repeated great times just being on the boat..
Funny thing is when we were workin on the Indian while it was still at h and m the chief was parked next to us and they ignored us completely which I understood cause we had his boat and that's always painful..
If a skipper purposely screwed up trips as you guys suggest that wouldn't be the case..
how happy would you be if you lost your house first then your Boat, because of a bad Partnership
I would be up set to, that Boat was his life, i just don't get guys trying to ruin a good guys Reputation

fishkilr

Aug 27, 2012
long beach,ca.u.s.a.
Name
alby
Boat
None
how happy would you be if you lost your house first then your Boat, because of a bad Partnership
I would be up set to, that Boat was his life, i just don't get guys trying to ruin a good guys Reputation
Obviously I don't hold it against him..

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
So you never had a bad or skunk trip and if you did it was because you forgot how to fish?
the bad thing is People base a good Trip on how much they Catch these day, I compare that to spoiled kids, the more they get the more they want
I always take the good with the bad, and just being on the Ocean with friends and family , is priceless
and just remember you can't put a price on fun

Chicago Pete

Jan 17, 2012
Homewood
Name
Peter D Womack
Boat
None
I flew in from Chicago for this trip (actually I was on the trip that left the 11th). I did get my first Blue fin. I was bummed that we didn't look for anything else, but the skipper was in a tough spot. Do you sit on a non-bite and wait for them to turn on, or make a change. If we would have left and they turned on, what then. Damned if you do, damned if you don't... All those guys and girl that I got to fish with, I had a great time. I'm stoked. Already looking into a 5 day next year.

Last edited:

clintonstick

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 18, 2014
Name
mike
Boat
g3
I flew in from Chicago for this trip. I did get my first Blue fin. I was bummed that we didn't look for anything else, but the skipper was in a tough spot. Do you sit on a non-bite and wait for them to turn on, or make a change. If we would have left and they turned on, what then. Damned if you do, damned if you don't... All those guys and girl that I got to fish with, I had a great time. I'm stoked. Already looking into a 5 day next year.
good for you to get a bf,i was born in rockford,ill left in1981, never been back.Its a tough job to be a captain.You must really love to fish to come this far.

Chicago Pete

Jan 17, 2012
Homewood
Name
Peter D Womack
Boat
None
good for you to get a bf,i was born in rockford,ill left in1981, never been back.Its a tough job to be a captain.You must really love to fish to come this far.
I grew up in LA and fished local boats until 1980 when I moved to Chicago. I haven't fish is So Cal for 20 years. I fished partyboats in Florida for the last 20 years but it is sooo different. I really miss this style of fishing.

Reactions: Tunahead

clintonstick

Mar 18, 2014
Name
mike
Boat
g3
I grew up in LA and fished local boats until 1980 when I moved to Chicago. I haven't fish is So Cal for 20 years. I fished partyboats in Florida for the last 20 years but it is sooo different. I really miss this style of fishing.
I think its about to take off this week,the yf counts are starting to rise,sucks when you live so far away.I am in utah 11 hour drive will go this week.I have a 2 day on the chief next week ,never fished it before.When i lived in rockford in the 60-70s it was a great place,my relatives say ut has really went downhill.I think this fishing will be really good all fall and winter last winter bluefin,yellowtail,had one of my best trips 2.5 day in january.

Last edited:

kevina

Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
View attachment 614576 Ok, so don't beat me up for asking the question because I'm new to this forum. My question is: Is it ever appropriate for a big boat like the Chief (31 people) to run out of bait by the second day? That said, let me share some details. We hopped on the boat and capt. headed north towards Catalina Island. Evening briefing we were told ( Hey guys, bait is kind of crappy) Another Question? If you know bait is crappy, shouldn't you get extra? I mean at least you could chunk bait and try??? By noon the first day the bait looked like red pulp. Very bad bait. Capt. was chasing blue fin but nobody is getting bit. Everybody tried everything. Tried patties and a few and I mean one or two dodo's were picked up. We could see other boats about 1 mile away hooking up but the Capt. has a thing about avoiding/staying away from other boats. Guys were getting pissed. They didn't care if we were next to other boats, all of us were just interested in reeling something in at this point. Finally that evening about 3 miles off Catalina we hit some patties and brought a couple more fish on the boat. Very slow. End o. Sooo, 3/4 of the day left, no bait, we hit patties and by the end of day 2 there were less than 20 fish on the boat. Got so bad that we would sit over fish, everybody would throw everything they had and after about 45 minutes just give up. Capt. would stay for like another 40-50 minutes sitting there and not say a word. Then finally move on to another site? Crew was super frustrated and I think a little embarrassed that bait had run out so early.

Now, let me say this: Crew was superb. Tried really hard to help. Food was good. Guys on the boat got along and no problems between fisherman so that was nice. But hard to swallow knowing we could have been in fish but Capt. wouldn't go where the other boats were catching because as he said (we are going to avoid the crowds.) Anyhow, this is probably one trip you wont see posted on H & M landings site because there were 31 unhappy fisherman. Less than 20 total fish. Again, I guess the real question is: Is it ever appropriate to run out of bait knowing you have a full boat full of hungry fisherman. And wouldn't you want to have a back-up plan such as: Frozen bait to chunk or frozen squid, or go get more bait??? Something??? For me, next time I will pick a different boat. If I'm out in la la land on this let me know.

Last edited:

Hector Arevalo

skipper/chartermaster
Jan 18, 2010
Long Beach
Name
Hector Arevalo
Boat
30' Amoto Floriza
Well sorry to hear your news of a bad trip.
As for the Captain. I have been a charter master for many years and have chartered with Captain Chris for many years. I want to say something went wrong and he had no control, of the bait and the fact that he does not own the boat. Capt. will usually go out of his way to put the numbers on the boat (fish), so maybe just some bad luck and out of his control.
I have some buddies that were on that trip, I was also going to be on that trip but my back stop me from going.
Better luck on your next trip.

Reactions: Chicago Pete