CAPTRANDEL

May 20, 2004
San Diego, California
www.facebook.com
Name
Chris Randel
Boat
CHIEF
Hey gang Capt Randel here with a report form our 1-1/2 day open party trip with 32 anglers to Collonett on Saturday. The weather was flat calm for the entire trip with only a lite rain shower for the ride home and very little swell. We arrived at Collonett around 8.30 am on Saturday morning as we bucked an up hill current all night and had a up hill drift all day with almost no breeze. So the game plan was now reversed as it usually flows down hill on this bank and I had to adjust to the backwards conditions.We metered Yellows on all 3 High spots and even out in in the deep water making for a tough decision as how to set up the boat for drifts and where. We did a few drifts in the shallows and picked away at the Yellows and lings but it looked much better on the meter than we were experiencing. So I did some very long up hill drifts in various areas and got a feel for where to concentrate my efforts and it worked out in the end. We ended up with 106 Quality Yellowtail in the 15 to 25lb range and lost many others UG! and also had 54 nice Ling cod and limits of assorted Reds, Salmon Grouper and so on. In all my years of fishing Collonett I have never metered this amount of Yellowtail and think this bite is going to roll thru the spring of 2015.

IMG_1750.JPG

IMG_1757.JPG

IMG_1756.JPG

IMG_1748.JPG

IMG_1752.JPG

IMG_1754.JPG

IMG_1758.JPG

IMG_1764.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Phat Boat

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 18, 2004
San Diego
Name
Jon
Boat
Grady White Marlin 300
Nice lings!

Paddyman1

A mossback is better than a hairy back
Nov 7, 2010
La Costa Izquierda
Name
Steve
Boat
N/A
Thanks for rubbing it in, Chris. Great looking fish on beautiful seas...nice.

Professor

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 17, 2003
San Diego
Visit site
Name
Yale
Boat
32' Blackman Sportfisher "Riley"
Quality fish!

phillyblunt

Jun 10, 2005
SD
Name
Philip
Boat
EVEN KEEL
Great trip was one boat. Bring plenty of irons. Keep track of your lines. Yellows go wide open all of a sudden at times. Gets crazy.

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
Aug 11, 2006
Costa Mesa
Name
Ron
Boat
several
Another awesome load of fish Chris and crew! WAY TO GO~ solid work! Glad everyone had a great trip! LOL

jtucker12

Jul 18, 2012
Anaheim
Name
Joshua Tucker
Boat
louie
It says the trip for this weekend is rock fishing on his website, is the trip going to spend most of the time rock fishing or going for yellows?

Workplacesafety

Reducing workplace injuries and illnesses
Feb 20, 2010
Long Beach Ca.
Name
Jeff Bruner
Boat
14ft Valco, San Diego Long Range Boats
Love those cigar smokin old yellers on the yo-yo. Thanks for posting Chris

phillyblunt

Jun 10, 2005
SD
Name
Philip
Boat
EVEN KEEL
It says the trip for this weekend is rock fishing on his website, is the trip going to spend most of the time rock fishing or going for yellows?
Yellows, but if you drop bait or jig to the bottom you will pull up monster reds and lings no prob.

CAPTRANDEL

May 20, 2004
San Diego, California
www.facebook.com
Name
Chris Randel
Boat
CHIEF
Hey guys the yoyo iron is a must and bring at least 5 as you will get rocked by these big brute Yellows and rig up a single dropper loop rig with an 8 to 12 oz sinker on the bottom with 4 inch dropper loop 12 inches above sinker with single live Sardine. Reason why if you get tired of grinding the yoyo iron let down a dropper loop rig and take a break but still be in the game! You can and will land Lings, Reds and Grouper while fishing for the Yellowtail. Just the skippers take on this but hope it helps you prepare for you trip.