CAPTRANDEL

May 20, 2004
San Diego, California
www.facebook.com
Name
Chris Randel
Boat
CHIEF
  • Really good trip to Collonett as we bucked the up hill current all night with a 15 plus knot following wind and had a bit of a problem with the wind upon arrival so we anchored up on the 28 fathom high spot on the North East side as the current was out to sea to the Southwest and we nailed it perfectly on our first attempt. Usually does not go that way but spent the entire day and that night on the anchor because it blew 30 knots that night. But first day results were good with 1 of every 3 fish hooked landed and we did manage 79 Yellowtail in the 25lb range out of 160 hook ups (ouch) but these are structure fish and even the seasoned veterans got tooled. Second day the weather came down allowing us to do several long drifts for bottom fish and we did score limits for the trip.

2 yt and jeff.jpg

asian guy 2 yt.jpg

best yt and jake.jpg

capt chris grouper.jpg

cool yt.jpg

Ian grilling.jpg

bob semaru.jpg

gaff shot.jpg

IMG_1678.JPG

test.jpg

Upvote 0

clintonstick

Mar 18, 2014
Name
mike
Boat
g3
  • Really good trip to Collonett as we bucked the up hill current all night with a 15 plus knot following wind and had a bit of a problem with the wind upon arrival so we anchored up on the 28 fathom high spot on the North East side as the current was out to sea to the Southwest and we nailed it perfectly on our first attempt. Usually does not go that way but spent the entire day and that night on the anchor because it blew 30 knots that night. But first day results were good with 1 of every 3 fish hooked landed and we did manage 79 Yellowtail in the 25lb range out of 160 hook ups (ouch) but these are structure fish and even the seasoned veterans got tooled. Second day the weather came down allowing us to do several long drifts for bottom fish and we did score limits for the trip.
View attachment 561113

View attachment 561114

View attachment 561115

View attachment 561116

View attachment 561117

View attachment 561118

View attachment 561119

View attachment 561120

View attachment 561121

View attachment 561122
hi, is the trip on the dec 26 a go and will you fish collonett , thanks nice report

Last edited:
Reactions: Tunahead
Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
Aug 11, 2006
Costa Mesa
Name
Ron
Boat
several
GREAT REPORT Chris, and nice pics. Boy it sure looks a lot nicer than the last trip on Indian
we had anchored up there for Charles's birthday LOL Whew. Glad you got a nice load of fish.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO YOU AND THE ENTIRE CREW!

Upvote 0
P

Paddyman1

Nice job, Chris! Were the tails caught on the surface or deep?

I haven't fished with you since the Indian on a decent cod trip somewhere off Rosarito. Looks like I'll need to give the Chief a go, hopefully sooner than later.

Have a superfantastic Christmas Holiday!

Upvote 0

strackle99

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Mar 20, 2008
    Villa Lepro, Baja
    Name
    Todd
    Boat
    The one on the fish
    Nice fish. Good job on the winter YT.

I like the pic of the skipper with the big rockfish.

Rambo nails em again!

Upvote 0
    Jan 8, 2007
    Clairemont
    Name
    Todd
    Boat
    65x20
    You don't know what you're talking about unfortunately, educate yourself before just making a statement you can't backup. Those offshore fish you're talking about are very migratory, swimming north from Mexico with the pockets of warm water that is pushed North. The majority of the time these fish travel back down south as our water cools with the Winter Months. These Islands fish you see are basically the "Homeguard" fish you here people talk about. Just like La Jolla, Coronado Islands, Cedros, Guadalupe etc. these are resident fish that for the most part spend their majority of their life in one area, which greatly improves their chances of survival as opposed to offshore yellowtail that have to swim great distances in open water with virtually no where to hide from predators, which makes them a much easier target. There is also a great difference in the amount of food in either situation. Where do you think there is going to be more bait, in and around the kelplines, around local ridges, shelfs and canyons, or offshore...?

NICE WORK!

Will everyone please look at those Yellows and quit killing the baby paddy rats???!!!??? 5 years of not killing babies and we'd have yellows like that up and down the coast in big numbers.

Upvote 0

Chainsaw1

Jan 19, 2008
    Santa Ana
    Name
    Tim
    Boat
    None
    You don't know what you're talking about unfortunately, educate yourself before just making a statement you can't backup. Those offshore fish you're talking about are very migratory, swimming north from Mexico with the pockets of warm water that is pushed North. The majority of the time these fish travel back down south as our water cools with the Winter Months. These Islands fish you see are basically the "Homeguard" fish you here people talk about. Just like La Jolla, Coronado Islands, Cedros, Guadalupe etc. these are resident fish that for the most part spend their majority of their life in one area, which greatly improves their chances of survival as opposed to offshore yellowtail that have to swim great distances in open water with virtually no where to hide from predators, which makes them a much easier target. There is also a great difference in the amount of food in either situation. Where do you think there is going to be more bait, in and around the kelplines, around local ridges, shelfs and canyons, or offshore...?

Offshore-inshore(homeguard) doesn't matter-they mix..some stay some don't. Catching fetus's and babys doesn't help anyone but the "Fish Count" Guess you can take a photo or Video and show every one what a Great fisherman you are with limit of "Rats" (meaning baby fishy)

Reactions: peteking
    Upvote 0

peteking

Everybody take a look at the bad guy-T. Montana
    Apr 21, 2013
    Arcadia/CA/USA
    Name
    Pete King
    Boat
    Ohana

Wow. Really? You're certain of what you indite? Good luck...

Upvote 0

titos334

VIP Elite Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    Hell
    Name
    Kevin
    Boat
    Rainbow Surprise
    Offshore-inshore(homeguard) doesn't matter-they mix..some stay some don't. Catching fetus's and babys doesn't help anyone but the "Fish Count" Guess you can take a photo or Video and show every one what a Great fisherman you are with limit of "Rats" (meaning baby fishy)

Taking the bigger effective breeders doesn't help either. If you want more big fish, stop taking the bigger fish.

Upvote 0

Professor

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Dec 17, 2003
    San Diego
    Visit site
    Name
    Yale
    Boat
    32' Blackman Sportfisher "Riley"
    Ho hum............

Upvote 0

CAPTRANDEL

May 20, 2004
    San Diego, California
    www.facebook.com
    Name
    Chris Randel
    Boat
    CHIEF
    I am going to chime in here for several reasons 1st Pacific Yellowtail start the breeding cycle at around 3 years of age and that would place this fish weight at 15 to 20 pounds then the cycle continues every year to point that I don't know when they stop breeding. 2nd the really big Yellowtail are not the big breeders for this species so landing a big Yellowtail is not going to hurt the overall stock assement or numbers. Lets get real for a moment its commercial fishing interests that do the real damage not recreational fishermen.

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
    Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    I am going to chime in here for several reasons 1st Pacific Yellowtail start the breeding cycle at around 3 years of age and that would place this fish weight at 15 to 20 pounds then the cycle continues every year to point that I don't know when they stop breeding. 2nd the really big Yellowtail are not the big breeders for this species so landing a big Yellowtail is not going to hurt the overall stock assement or numbers. Lets get real for a moment its commercial fishing interests that do the real damage not recreational fishermen.

AMEN CHRIS....and like tuna, for every decent yellowtail we get to gaff, probably another 5-500 get away!!! LMAO

Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
    ramona /ca/usa
    Name
    doug
    Boat
    yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
    Yellowtail are in no danger of being over fished...the years we don't see a lot of them it's because of conditions rather then lack of fish down south....that being said keeping 200 kelp patty rats ain't doing them any good. But most people I know that fish a lot throw back when they are under 6-7 pounds or at least limit it to one or two that size for a fresh dinner.Yellowtail doesn't freeze well or keep in the fridge very well anyway IMHO. I've been fishing the coronados islands since 1973....this year I ,personally,had the best fishing ever on both size and numbers.

Upvote 0