I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 20, 2004
San Diego, California
www.facebook.com
Name
Chris Randel
Boat
CHIEF
Hello Bloody Deckers Capt Randel here and I have a question that needs an answer, we cant get enough reservations this winter to get the Damn boat off the dock despite great fish counts and weather as we have no reservations for up coming trips and I really would like to get off the dock for several reasons #1 crew starving (not your problem),#2 the fishing is off the hook #3 Rock fish is closed in the US and the weather has been awesome. So with all that said I am looking for a way to get some BDRS off the couch and on the water in the next few months and would like to know what will get some interest from all of you (Special Discount for BDRS) or what? Not looking to give the farm up but something enticing to get you off the beach. All your comments are welcome at this time, thanks so much Capt Randel.View attachment 490686

Bottom Line

Village idiot
Jul 9, 2006
Warner Springs
Name
Steve
Boat
Invader CC - Bottom Line
I'll go if I can catch cod! Seriously though, I need to go on a bottom trip.

Trayscool

Captain
Sep 26, 2008
Long Beach
www.skipjackmafia.com
Name
Travis
Boat
NO BOATS
Hi Chris we would love to go except just cant afford a 2.5.....any chance of the $99 overnight special you used to run? I know its asking a lot but something similar and we could probably swing it.....Hope all is going well

gregg6653

Aug 12, 2007
Gilbert, AZ
Name
Gregg
Boat
Sold
Not sure if you have the same mandatory meal plans as you did on your summer tuna trips, but that deterred me. when you only eat 1 meal and then a few snacks its not worth the fine dining prices that were being charged.

Just my 2 cents

trlrtrsh67

Porch Honkey
Nov 22, 2007
Running Springs
Name
Rich
Boat
14' Gregor / IMP 220 Sportsman WA
1.5 or 2.5 would work for me. The thing that would seal the deal would be a "2for1" / "drag a buddy" deal.

Simon Bon Bowery

Lizard Fish Hippie
Feb 18, 2007
O'side
Name
Simon
Boat
Chris Craft 19 cc "LiL Lizard"
2.5 too long for me and some friends……overnight yes!
X2
Day and a half trips are perfect in my option..
I like food free flowing but, I know a people have complained about a mandatory food plan here on BD in the past..

drumford

gotta go babe!
Sep 20, 2010
C.M. CA
Name
Dondo
Boat
Cory's Rig
I must say that I'm surprised that a skipper would actually come on here and ask what
his customers would like to see him do to get folks on the boat! I know that this is a first
for me to see this!!!! I say a 1.5 sounds good! Or a mix of 1.5-2.5 through the winter?
Awesome Sir to put this out there! I say full blown lesbians, from a flying saucer with a blender,
tequila, snow chains and a couple of hard hats will sell out qwik!

timmyd3853

Sep 27, 2011
Temecula, Ca.
Name
Tim
Boat
Excel, Polaris Supreme, Searcher, RRIII and YOURS!
Hello Bloody Deckers Capt Randel here and I have a question that needs an answer, we cant get enough reservations this winter to get the Damn boat off the dock despite great fish counts and weather as we have no reservations for up coming trips and I really would like to get off the dock for several reasons #1 crew starving (not your problem),#2 the fishing is off the hook #3 Rock fish is closed in the US and the weather has been awesome. So with all that said I am looking for a way to get some BDRS off the couch and on the water in the next few months and would like to know what will get some interest from all of you (Special Discount for BDRS) or what? Not looking to give the farm up but something enticing to get you off the beach. All your comments are welcome at this time, thanks so much Capt Randel.View attachment 490686
for me the first thing that comes to mind is the two ...and a half day that gets me ... for me personally i cant really take one of those on the weekend without having to take a day off. (i work monday thru friday) BUT if it was two days fri-sun id be alot more inclined to go for that reason... ummm lesbians would be good too LOL but seriously ditch the mandatory food plan bullshit. just striaght X amount for this trip period. no cut rate price then oh by the way. to me thats cheesy. you run a good show i had a blast on the hector arevalo charter this summer and look forward to going out again this year with you. for me the last couple years doing a winter cod trip kinda has gotten put on the back burner for cow trips. 15 days in jan in 13 and 16 here next month and of course the subsequent mass freezer packing that comes with a trip like that makes it hard to justify shoehorning a 2.5 day aroung the long trip. that put aside though what others said about the 1.5 day or a 2 day would be good. i realize that the 2 day kinda cuts into the fishing time dues to travel but hell if you left at say 10 or 11 the returned at say 10 or 11 that would help to not cut into fishing time as much. lets face it in winter you only have about 10 hours of daylight to fish so you have a bit of extra time to drive down and back as a result. i hope somewhere in this you find something to help fire the motors and get to fishin.

tim doyle

Timmo

Feb 18, 2013
Westminster
Name
Victor
Boat
None
Hi Chris we would love to go except just cant afford a 2.5.....any chance of the $99 overnight special you used to run? I know its asking a lot but something similar and we could probably swing it.....Hope all is going well

+1

Aug 4, 2004
California
Name
JB
Boat
Matson Inc.
Not sure, but I think those $99.00 prices to come back a asking a bit from Chris. With Fuel, Port fees, bait, insurance, crew, permits, landing's cut, and I'm sure some others, I would think even with a full boat, the net profit is going to be very little, if any.

I think dumping the planned meal program and going back to order "off a menu" might work better for each passenger. They can't complain unless you run out of food or drink. If you could keep the prices competative to other galley's, the tight wads can't bitch, they probably weren't going to buy anything anyways with their cold sandwiches, waters and buckets of KFC they brought on board.

Good Luck

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
Not sure, but I think those $99.00 prices to come back a asking a bit from Chris. With Fuel, Port fees, bait, insurance, crew, permits, landing's cut, and I'm sure some others, I would think even with a full boat, the net profit is going to be very little, if any.

I think dumping the planned meal program and going back to order "off a menu" might work better for each passenger. They can't complain unless you run out of food or drink. If you could keep the prices competative to other galley's, the tight wads can't bitch, they probably weren't going to buy anything anyways with their cold sandwiches, waters and buckets of KFC they brought on board.

Good Luck
x2 the one,s that bitch about the food plan are the guy,s that drink 200 dollar,s of beer and don,t want too eat too much............

brice

Feb 9, 2006
Santee
Name
brice
Boat
Grady 226
drop the trips to 1.5 day (min time to fish colonette) and you might have some more takers.

Baller

Jig Chucker
Nov 16, 2010
La Mesa
Name
Bill
Boat
American Angler
1.5 Days trip and maybe charge a little more and do a 2 for 1 deal. Would love to get my son some more fishing time but as a single parent it is tough. Or father/son 1.5 dayers?

crazy cajun

Bait Hog
Jun 14, 2008
Carlsbad
Name
Sean
Boat
Fish-n-Dive, YakAttack
First off, thanks for asking what we want to see instead of doing what you think we want. Class act IMO.
For me, I do not want to give up a sick day to go catch rockfish. I rather save that for tuna and tail in the summer. So a 2 day trip that leaves between 5 to 7 PM on a Friday and gets back Sunday evening works best for me. 2 & 1/2 day trips are to long and 1 & 1/2 days to bring back 10 fish is not worth it. I would still like to get far enough down south to get in the great grade of rock fish on the first day, then fish our way back up north the second. I know that the grade of fish coming back up the line can diminish sometimes, but there are some great opportunities to be had.

I like the idea of a meal plan, I hate the fact that I do not have a choice. You got to finger that out. I am fine either way.

See if you can get some of the local manufactures and big name guys on the boat. I would love to watch the "Ed's Jigs" guys fish their products. Never fished them and never seen anyone catch a fish on them. Or maybe Cory and his soft plastics. Even the Berkley Gulp guys & large manufactures to promote some of there equipment. I love going on trips that I can learn new techniques.

Personally, I would rather fish anchovies or squid over sardines. If you could make it know what type of bait is available that might get me to jump on a trip in short notice.

Finally, there would be nothing better IMO than a fresh fish dinner or fresh ceviche on the boat. Take the fish that no one want to tag and cut them up. Let a deck hand reel some up from the depths or ask for donations to get enough for everyone. Fresh fish is hard to beat. Better than pork tenderloin or spaghetti any day in my book.

Capt., here is my word, you put a 2 day trip that leaves on a Friday evening and I will be one of the first ones to sign up. You put someone one the boat that can show a different technique or demonstrate a product line, I will be on that one as well.

Sean

la vida

Now I love our Prezzz!!!
Jun 28, 2006
El Cazonn
Name
Frank F
Boat
Boat-less (Sad)
Guy you just get better fishing and more options on the longer trips.
Fishing can be unbelievable.
But that said Chris I just feel that the cost of fishing today has just killed it for many.
Many of you guys have tried w/ two 4 one ext but you need to pay the bills and have to make it up on food/fuel/ of other serv charges.
That boat don't run on your great reputation and work ethic. The cost to operate is killing boats and the cost of going is keeping people home on the couch.

Money it just comes down to money. Same with the Yacht and skiff guys $$$$ keeps em home.

I wish you the best and hope you find a way to make it work.

california2

Jan 29, 2011
N. OC
Name
cali
Boat
boat
I'd be interested.
1. Does your boat have bunk quarters or just an open room with multiple bunks?
2. what is the minimum amount of passengers needed to leave the dock?
3. How are the fish kept fresh on the 2.5 day trips?

lkatdpelicanfly

Lizard Fish Slayer
Jun 23, 2009
sou cal
Name
Frank
Boat
Kayak
If you could get it at $200 or under per day of fishing including 1 meal (say dinner) and open galley for the rest...say breakfast and lunch, id be more apt to go. When you get into the $250 range, i think a lot of folks think of saving their money for later to target pelagics. Also, on a 2-1/2 day...I'd want to spend some time targeting yellows or wsb before targeting rockfish, especially if you were running an RSW...that would be a big incentive to me. I'd love to fill out some of that Mexican 10 fish per day limit with some nice 15-30 lb. Yellows to bring back as sushigrade sashimi to mix up with bottomfish. I know thats an option that doesnt always work out on a 2-1/2 day this time of year, but thats what id like to see. Maybe if you ran a 3 day to get some extra distance and keep it all inclusive (except mexican visa) for $600...more folks might be willing to take a day off for that.

CCR

Nov 27, 2011
United States of America
Name
Zak
Boat
_
book a trip now and get a voucher for half off a trip in summer? Book a trip for summer and get half off a rock cod trip? Free T-shirts?

SD853

Dec 4, 2010
Wildomar
Name
Scott
Boat
NO
drop the trips to 1.5 day (min time to fish colonette) and you might have some more takers.
X3
Would like to see a total price, ticket, mex license, visa, fuel surcharge if there is one.
Menu board is fine for 1.5 days.

jigstrike

SCUBA Spearing Daddy
Feb 28, 2004
Sabre Springs
Name
Tom McKinney
Boat
Pacific Option, a 2006 Tiara 3000 Open
Right now you are the only boat I know of running the longer trips. For me, that's great because I have the whole MLK three day weekend to fish and nobody else is running for whole weekend. Not sure why more don't want yo go. Too much frozen BFT?

I wonder if part of it is weather related. Since winter can be unpredictable, some might wait to book so they can better predict the weather. If I had the flexibility on choosing my weekend, I know I would.

Maybe market it as mini long range thing? See what 3 days on a boat is like before you book a $1500 trip?

Hopefully the MLK trip will go as I just bought my ticket.

Hefe'

Live2Fish
Sep 26, 2007
Bonita
Name
Jeff
Boat
Not now
I'd be interested.
1. Does your boat have bunk quarters or just an open room with multiple bunks?both just get there early to get your spot
2. what is the minimum amount of passengers needed to leave the dock? In talking with Chris I believe the magic number is 18
3. How are the fish kept fresh on the 2.5 day trips?
Fished the 2 times they made it off the dock and quality of fish was great both times when got back to the dock.

jigstrike

SCUBA Spearing Daddy
Feb 28, 2004
Sabre Springs
Name
Tom McKinney
Boat
Pacific Option, a 2006 Tiara 3000 Open
I'm bumping this thread with the hope someone has a great idea so Chris will sell enough spots on the trip I am on to pull away from the dock and make my weekend.