tresbien

No.... But Willing To Learn
Aug 19, 2008
San Clemente, Ca
Name
Matt
Boat
18' CC Holiday (RIP 1999)
Fished the chief with my dad on a 1.5 day left the 27th and fished the 28th for my 30th birthday. We fished close to home for a shot at the big bluefin that have been evading me for an entire calendar year now... and yesterday was not my day. We dropped flat falls from 4am to about 5:45am for nothing then began the search. We flew the kite with a yummy for the entire day but no love either. We stopped on three kelps in the morning but they were not holding. We did stop on one spot of puddling fishing around 8am but they sank out very quickly. We had a double on a blind jig strike around 11am. I was lucky enough to be standing next to the troller that went off while everyone else was either taking a nap or in the galley watching a movie due to the slow fishing. I landed mine the other came unbuttoned. We continued the search and found some dolphins around 6:30pm we trolled them for a while but no takers. We made two more stops on sonar marks in the late evening for no love and I dropped the flat fall for a while during dinner. Long and slow day out there for us but several very large bluefin were caught for the fleet hopefully I will connect with one of the big boys next time. All in all it was great spending my birthday with my Dad and I did catch a tuna.

20170628_113338_001.jpg

Last edited:

tresbien

Aug 19, 2008
San Clemente, Ca
Name
Matt
Boat
Your shorts match your fish.....You need a pair of shorts in Bluefin colors. :D

Great way to spend your birthday with your Dad. :urno1:
i think your on to something with the shorts... i bought a few poppers last year and never unboxed them i think the bluefin gods think I'm unworthy hahaha

tresbien

Aug 19, 2008
San Clemente, Ca
Name
Matt
Boat
Like the pic with the two guys squaring off on the upper deck.
now that i look at that pic again they do look like they are getting ready to fight but I'm pretty sure they were getting the kite back out either way that was a funny as hell comment!!!

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
Good on you for never giving up. You were rewarded for fishing while others were watching tv

captjd

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 26, 2003
PLSD
Name
Jeff "JD" DeVore
Boat
Martuni Dos
Fished the chief with my dad on a 1.5 day left the 27th and fished the 28th for my 30th birthday. We fished close to home for a shot at the big bluefin that have been evading me for an entire calendar year now... and yesterday was not my day. We dropped flat falls from 4am to about 5:45am for nothing then began the search. We flew the kite with a yummy for the entire day but no love either. We stopped on three kelps in the morning but they were not holding. We did stop on one spot of puddling fishing around 8am but they sank out very quickly. We had a double on a blind jig strike around 11am. I was lucky enough to be standing next to the troller that went off while everyone else was either taking a nap or in the galley watching a movie due to the slow fishing. I landed mine the other came unbuttoned. We continued the search and found some dolphins around 6:30pm we trolled them for a while but no takers. We made two more stops on sonar marks in the late evening for no love and I dropped the flat fall for a while during dinner. Long and slow day out there for us but several very large bluefin were caught for the fleet hopefully I will connect with one of the big boys next time. All in all it was great spending my birthday with my Dad and I did catch a tuna.

View attachment 847203
Pulling the kite in