CAPTRANDEL

May 20, 2004
San Diego, California
www.facebook.com
Name
Chris Randel
Boat
CHIEF
Hey gang the Chief just returned this morning from an open party 1-1/2 day trip with 35 anglers and had a very fun and productive trip in Tropical smooth weather with even a few rain showers and Thunder but no wind. We had 2 good kelp paddies at 60 miles Southwest of San Diego for all you want on the mixed grade Yellowtail with 13 Yellowfin. We rolled down another 23 miles and hit a big kelp that had lots of Yellowfin and Dorado on it but had to shake off mucho Yellowtail till we drifted away from the kelp. Then the plunker started on the Yellowfin Tuna with a flurry of Dorado now and then and it lasted for 4 hours with a few dry spells but in the end we landed 103 Yellowfin, 29 Dorado and 175 Yellowtail (boat limits) all species because 2 Dorado count as 5 fish in Mexican waters. Everyone had a blast on this trip enjoying the great fishing and food, especially Chef James Susi platters with several dipping home made sauces and Sea weed wraps.

IMG_1477.JPG

IMG_1478.JPG

IMG_1479.JPG

IMG_1491.JPG

IMG_1484.JPG

Upvote 0

salty brain

Nothing but salt between the ears
Sep 25, 2012
OC
Name
Dave
Boat
what ever floats
I was on that trip, great short day and half run, had a lot of fun pulling on a lot of fish, and that susi spread pulled us off the rail with fish bitting that was a first for me.Thanks for the great tip Chris.

Reactions: respect4ocean
Upvote 0

respect4ocean

TUNA SLAYER
Jul 10, 2010
chula vista
Name
Lonnie
Boat
2110 parker
Great report, but what are the details on what gear, #line, hooks, etc are working on the 1 1/2 day trips? YF line shy or biting anything?

The yellow tail will eat 40/50 lb just fine. On this trip we had beautiful sardines, best bait we've had all year. 1/0-2/0 hooks. As for the tuna they definitely were biting the lighter 20/25 better but the 30 worked ok too. Hot bait was key !!

Reactions: salvatoretocco1
Upvote 0

Tom Jr.

Retired Crane Operator Local 12
Aug 1, 2009
Riverside,Ca.
Name
Tom Jr.
Boat
yes
Just one question for you Chris if you went south/west then weren't you in U.S. waters with limits at 10 fish per species. Tom Jr.

Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
Just one question for you Chris if you went south/west then weren't you in U.S. waters with limits at 10 fish per species. Tom Jr.
that was five per person on the yellowtail....less then one around on the dorado and 103 yellowfin....then of course the crew counts too since they all need Mexican licenses so they were under limits for the boat.

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
Life is good,then there are those days...awesome!

Upvote 0

CAPTRANDEL

May 20, 2004
San Diego, California
www.facebook.com
Name
Chris Randel
Boat
CHIEF
Hey Tom we were well inside the Us line that runs down across the dumper just Southwest of the double 220 and if you look at a chart you will see we were 25 miles East of US waters on this trip so Mexican rules are 2 Dorado equal 5 fish total for 28 Dorado x 5 is 70 plus 103 Yellowfin = 173 fish plus 175 Yellowtail and we were 2 fish shy of limits for the day. I know it is confusing and I have to crunch all these number so we don't go over the limits when we have really good fishing.

Upvote 0

Tom Jr.

Retired Crane Operator Local 12
Aug 1, 2009
Riverside,Ca.
Name
Tom Jr.
Boat
yes
Hey Tom we were well inside the Us line that runs down across the dumper just Southwest of the double 220 and if you look at a chart you will see we were 25 miles East of US waters on this trip so Mexican rules are 2 Dorado equal 5 fish total for 28 Dorado x 5 is 70 plus 103 Yellowfin = 173 fish plus 175 Yellowtail and we were 2 fish shy of limits for the day. I know it is confusing and I have to crunch all these number so we don't go over the limits when we have really good fishing.
not complaining just going by what you said s/w not s/e I think you are an awesome capt. and haven't fished with you in years. It was on the Indian.

Upvote 0