AWilliams

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 18, 2009
Ramona, Ca.
Name
Alin Williams
Boat
none
I'm planning on buying just a very small amount (50 yds) of flouro in 25, 30 and 40. Looking at Amazon...is the cheaper stuff still as good as the bigger name stuff? I RARELY (almost never) throw bait, but when I do, I might want to have some flouro in case the bite is picky. Don't want to spend $20+ on something I'm hardly going to use.Thanks

Reactions: CartridgeCalls

Texas Tuna

Pinfish pimp
May 18, 2020
Rockport Texas
Name
Oliver Cheng
Boat
cabo 45 sportfish
All the cheaper fluoro (seguar red label, some wish brands that might have not even been fluoro) had memory issues and a lot of stretch. My favorite budget fluoro is berkley vanish. It performs very well in my experience. Also, try straight mono first. They usually bite.

Kos

The Tug Is My Drug
Aug 16, 2018
San Diego
Name
Anthony
Boat
My wife's boat (yup!)
You spent thousands and thousands of dollars between your gear and your trips. Don't compromise on your line or hooks. I like to use saguar premier. I've never had any issues.

AWilliams

May 18, 2009
Ramona, Ca.
Name
Alin Williams
Boat
none
You spent thousands and thousands of dollars between your gear and your trips. Don't compromise on your line or hooks. I like to use saguar premier. I've never had any issues.
I do on jigs and jigsticks...not bait set-ups. Hate throwing bait.

• Wow
Reactions: CartridgeCalls

Goosed10

Jul 12, 2008
Murrieta,Ca
Name
Jeff
Boat
none
I’ve had good luck with Hiseas in #40 and #50. Less expensive than seaguar premier.

AKSalmon

Jul 15, 2006
Juneau, Alaska
Name
Bill Brown
Boat
Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
Price = value. Cheap fluorocarbon is generally stiff, has memory, and hard to tie. Spend the money worthy of the fish and your fishing trip.

Reactions: ripped and t-ho

anemic

circling the drain
Mar 6, 2004
Long Beach
Name
Chuck
Boat
nope
Last edited:

JamesTaylor

Question Everything
Jan 7, 2019
Cypress, Ca
Name
James Taylor
Boat
Not yet
You can get 50 yard spools of seaguar blue label and premier on amazon for really cheap. They also have 100 yard spools of yozuri pink for cheap

yessokk

Luck favors the well prepared.
Sep 18, 2006
Costa Mesa, Cailf
Name
Walt
Boat
11 ft Sears W/Duel 5.2hp
Have done some testing on less expensive fluoro. Specifically Seaguar STS Salmon, supposedly made for fishing salmon and trout. But a fish is a fish ,,,, right !! 100 yds for $14.99. a bargain.
Here are the results.

The line is a little on the stiff side and may not be ideal for a lot of casting. But for leader material it will be just fine. Personally prefer the harder stiffer leaders as they have better abrasion resistance. Otherwise the STS Salmon compares very well with other high quality fluoros. Line diameters for all fluorocarbon lines can vary as much as
+/- .0015. For all brands of Fluoro ABS of knots can be as much as 20% weaker than mono of the same wt./dia. depending on what knot is tied and how it was tied.
40# test,,,,ABS 45#
Knot Strength 38# average.
Line mics at .0225

25#test,,, ABS 34#
Knot Strength 26#
Line mics at .019

Over all would consider it a bargain for what you are getting.

From other testing it appears that line mfgs. are taking existing products, re-labeling them at a cheaper price point just to cover that segment of the market. Have not revealed any significant reduction of quality comparing like #tests regardless of price. The main difference is usually the degree of limpness, the pricier flours are usually limper, not as stiff thus better for casting.

Walt

Last edited:

AWilliams

May 18, 2009
Ramona, Ca.
Name
Alin Williams
Boat
none
Thanks guys...just don't need super, ultra premium 1000+ yds for the 3 times a year I might use it.

JamesTaylor

Question Everything
Jan 7, 2019
Cypress, Ca
Name
James Taylor
Boat
Not yet
Have done some testing on less expensive fluoro. Specifically Seaguar STS, supposedly made for fishing salmon and trout. But a fish is a fish ,,,, right !! 100 yds for $10.99. a bargain.
Here are the results.

The line is a little on the stiff side and may not be ideal for a lot of casting. But for leader material it will be just fine. Personally prefer the harder stiffer leaders as they have better abrasion resistance. Otherwise the STS compares very well with other high quality fluoros. Line diameters for all fluorocarbon lines can vary as much as
+/- .0015. For all brands of Fluoro ABS of knots can be as much as 20% weaker than mono of the same wt./dia. depending on what knot is tied and how it was tied.
40# test,,,,ABS 45#
Knot Strength 38# average.
Line mics at .0225

25#test,,, ABS 34#
Knot Strength 26#
Line mics at .019

Over all would consider it a bargain for what you are getting.

From other testing it appears that line mfgs. are taking existing products, re-labeling them at a cheaper price point just to cover that segment of the market. Have not revealed any significant reduction of quality comparing like #tests regardless of price. The main difference is usually the degree of limpness, the pricier flours are usually limper, not as stiff thus better for casting.

Walt
This is a good deal!!!!
CF3291CD-AFC0-427B-A610-0F6503CC6AFC.png
9494E914-97F9-4AD8-99A3-7E31FBF5B0B1.png

Reactions: yessokk

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
Thanks guys...just don't need super, ultra premium 1000+ yds for the 3 times a year I might use it.
I'm frugal , and just buy gear ahead of time on Sale'
like at the FHS ,where if you buy you 2 Spools ,
they give you one Free,
I found out years ago, most of the time if its Cheap, buyer beware,
like CHINA ,crap. LOL.

yessokk

Luck favors the well prepared.
Sep 18, 2006
Costa Mesa, Cailf
Name
Walt
Boat
11 ft Sears W/Duel 5.2hp
Interesting discovery while doing due diligence on this less expensive fluoro carbon thread.
Take a look at the results for the Seaguar STS Salmon it has the second highest
PSI (Tensile Strength). This mirrors my own results though its for 30lb test.

Walt

FLUOROCARBON
13 fluoro linetestchart01.png