Cheap reels

EfrainS.

Mar 8, 2019
Your mom
Name
Efrain
Boat
Your mom
Hi y'all, I am back with more random reel questions. I have a few cheap back-up reels-daiwa laguna 100h, abu promax and and either a blackmax or silver max- from by lmb fishing days and wanted to know if anyone has fished any of these reels in the bays for spotties and the like. The reels are literally like new and have been sitting in a box stored in the deepest reaches of my closet. Also, is it worth getting themed serviced? The pro max in particular feels smooth and not like any cheap reel I have fished. If I do use them in the bay, how long can I expect to use them? I baby my gear so cleansing them off after a trip is no problem.

I also have a box full of pristine 1st gen bps pro qualifiers and Rick clunn reels, may switch drags to carbon on them. Guys at fishermans access did it to my caenans recently and I am excited to fish them. Also, those pq reels due great in the salt. I used one for rock fishing bass and caught plenty of 3-5 lb. Calicos and sand bass no problem. This last part is just me praising the pq really.

Thanks for the help

Upvote 0

Noms

Dirty taco maker
  • Aug 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    Angel
    Boat
    15 foot tin can
    They will work. You just have to rinse them off after every use. Break them down and replace the grease every other month. Reelx is your friend for the bearings. Cals on your drags will help keep the salt from crystallizing on the washers.
    I started spottie fishing with a black max. Lasted me 2 years of weekly fishing with bare bones care.
    Catching keeper shore halibuts on 2k spinners with 8pound line is super fun. My daiwa laguna spinner has been very nice. Don't have to worry about it being stolen or crying when it does wear out.

Last edited:
    Reactions: EfrainS.
    Upvote 0

swami 805

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Mar 9, 2016
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    sunk it
    Abu's are easy reels to service, smoothdrag has bearings and drags for them,rinse after you use them and you'll be fine

Upvote 0

EfrainS.

Mar 8, 2019
    Your mom
    Name
    Efrain
    Boat
    Your mom
    They will work. You just have to rinse them off after every use. Break them down and replace the grease every other month. Reelx is your friend for the bearings. Cals on your drags will help keep the salt from crystallizing on the washers.
    I started spottie fishing with a black max. Lasted me 2 years of weekly fishing with bare bones care.
    Catching keeper shore halibuts on 2k spinners with 8pound line is super fun. My daiwa laguna spinner has been very nice. Don't have to worry about it being stolen or crying when it does wear out.
    Thanks, sounds promising

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Thousands of inshore fish are caught every day in the third world by young boys casting crappy old mono line spooled around pieces of dowel or even the inside tube of a roll of toilet paper. You are WELL EQUIPPED. Those Silvermax and Blackmax combos are living in lockers on yachts all over the world for when the guests want to try fishing for the mackerel they see scooting around the stern. And they work fine with almost zero care. All of those old reels will be fine to use until they seize up, and then you can use them for bottom weights in the bay.

Relax.

Upvote 0