Cheap 80# setup

jigsaurus

• May 13, 2010
    West sonoma
    Name
    Stephen
    Boat
    12' plastic cod killer
    Hey there, I'm looking for advice on an 80# rig, for either jigs or bait. I'm going to be down in San diego fishing on a friend's boat at the beginning of August and we have no experience targeting bluefin. It seems like a kite and a yummy flyer is the rig of choice for smaller boats but we dont have all that gear or the know how to use it. I want to make sure I have something appropriate for a large tuna if we come across them. But I need it to be as cheap as possible. I really only have a25, 30, and 40# livebait setup and albacore trolling gear. I'm leaning toward a TLD 30 2 speed with an Okuma pch 741 xxh and spooling it with 80# braid. Could that combo bring in a large fish? Any tips for fishing large bft in a private boat?

Johnlgarrison

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Jul 27, 2009
    Temecula CA USA!
    www.inkspotsgreatdanes.com
    Name
    Johnny Garrison
    Boat
    Parker 2320 "Sticky Business 5"
    I have a Shimano 30/50 two speed on a custom wrapped Calstar 665XXH The reel has 400 yards of 100# spectra and a 80# mono top shot. You can have it for $350.00.

Reactions: jigsaurus
    Upvote 0

jigsaurus

• May 13, 2010
    West sonoma
    Name
    Stephen
    Boat
    12' plastic cod killer
    I ended up finding a new fathom 40nld2. Which is not easy to do. I figured the fathom could serve more purpose than the ld30. I'm gonna put it on a rainshadow 84xxh and spool it with 80# braid and hope for the best.

2Rotten
    2Rotten
    Excellent choice, your new Fathom 40 nld2 is an outstanding reel. I have 2 - 40 nld2's, absolutely love them.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

tunanorth

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 4, 2005
    By the lake
    Name
    Tunanorth
    Boat
    Bass Tracker 16
    I ended up finding a new fathom 40nld2. Which is not easy to do. I figured the fathom could serve more purpose than the ld30. I'm gonna put it on a rainshadow 84xxh and spool it with 80# braid and hope for the best.

Great reel for live bait and flatfall/knife jigs, and fish up to about 175 pounds.
    It is overbuilt enough that you have a decent chance with a bigger fish if things go your way and your knots are good, but once the fish start to regularly be over 200 pounds, you need to go up in line capacity, and also go up from a "medium frame" reel to a "heavy frame" reel like a 16VISX at minimum, and a 30VISX for the yummy/frozen under the kite.
    If the 300 pounders start to show up in quantity in September like they have the last couple of years, even bigger will be necessary.

Upvote 0

jigsaurus

• May 13, 2010
    West sonoma
    Name
    Stephen
    Boat
    12' plastic cod killer
    Thanks for the input guys!! I had to look really hard to find that fathom 40. Unfortunately we couldn't connect with any tuna :( I was using the fathom 40 for a heavy sinker rig to get down to the fish we were marking about 200' down. But they weren't having it. The reel felt very smooth and comfortable though :)
    I also picked up a fathom ll 25 star drag for a casting rig. It also was a great reel. I was able to cast over 100' with it. We came across a couple huge spots of foaming fish that I got to cast into with a colt sniper but got no love. It sure was a treat to see those fish busting on the surface but heartbreak when they wouldn't bite my jig that was in front of them. Maybe next time I'll get lucky 🙏🙏

Reactions: Phishy Phil
    Upvote 0