chartering a boat in hawaii

Discussion in 'Hawaiian Fishing Reports Forum' started by jagerhunchback, May 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sandgoby

Sandgoby Newbie

Name:
    m i k e
    Boat:
    it's yellow and it floats, good nuff for me.
    Hi all,

I'm going to have to give a hats off to Capt. Ray on the Nani Kai out of Haleiwa. He helped me and my coworkers catch our first Ono a couple of years back. I'm also friends with his son-in-law and am always hearing the catch reports. He has brought home fish for his charters when others have come back from just a boat ride.

If you are planning a trip to the N.Shore of Oahu look him up. (808) 637- 9737
    Haleiwa Hawaii Fishing Trips, Hawaii Bottom Fishing, Affordable Hawaii Fishing Trips, North Shore Fishing Trips
    edit- forgot to add the website... had to look it up. :)

Sandgoby

2. Aloha_Jackie

Aloha_Jackie Newbie

Name:
    Jackie
    Boat:
    Still in the future for now, something I can snorkel and fish off of
    Aloha - does anyone know about Kona fishing charters that go out of Keauhou? All the boats I see go out of Honokohau. I saw only one boat (CPT Jack) but cannot find a website or other info online, havent called their number yet. No one wants to go out of Keauhou? We are staying just up the street and could walk home with our catch, why drive all the way up to Honokohau to take an hour back down to that point just to snorkel and fish and then have to drive all the way back? Mahalo!

3. Bullethead

Bullethead Newbie

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    sold it
    Jude, Harry anyone else on Kauai? In case they are booked.

4. Aloha_Jackie

Aloha_Jackie Newbie

Name:
    Jackie
    Boat:
    August 28 thru 9/6 is the timeframe for when we are in Kona - either that or we can try for Oahu the next week....more interested in something for the grill in Keauhou. Maybe I'll have to look up Cpt Jack. Does anyone know who goes out of Keauhou? It must be pretty limited? <guessing>

5. miketerry

miketerry Newbie

Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    none
    actually the best charter company on oahu is maggie joe sport fishing. super knowledgeable crew, all of them were very nice. we caught a couple fish on the trip and we had a great time. here's their website:

www.maggiejoe.com

6. Aloha_Jackie

Aloha_Jackie Newbie

Name:
    Jackie
    Boat:
    Thanks/mahalo for the Oahu tip. Right now, I am specifically looking for a Big Island Operator that goes out of Keauhou, so that we dont have to go all the way up to Honokohau. Anyone else have any tips on who you would recommend? End of August or early September is the timeframe

7. swoooll

swoooll fishaholic

Name:
    fishaholic83
    Boat:
    n/a
    aloha! I'm in Waikiki for the week and I'm looking for a great 1/2 day public charter that isn't too far from waikiki beach to go out on. Any suggestions fellas?

8. Aloha_Jackie

Aloha_Jackie Newbie

Name:
    Jackie
    Boat:
    Aloha Swool - the other pages of this thread give specific info on Oahu charters - check it out when you get time, enjoy the kau kau at the hookilau! Jackie

9. Aloha_Jackie

Aloha_Jackie Newbie

Name:
    Jackie
    Boat:
    still looking for a boat out of Keauhou - Bueller....Bueller? thanks in advance

10. SloTroller

SloTroller Newbie

Name:
    Dean
    Boat:
    McKee Craft Southporter 17.5', MaryTime
    Hi Jackie...

I'm new here but have been watching the fishing scene in Hawaii for a few years.

I would recommend following Tim Robertson's advice and go with a captain that "fits" your needs, rather than try to find one based on location alone. Particularly because there aren't very many boats at Keauhou, and there are dozens of outstanding charter boats at Honokohau.

I was on Marlin Parker's boat during last year's Hawaiian International Billfish Tournament when they caught a 973-pound marlin -- that team won the tournament. I was on the Fire Hatt (Chuck & Linda Wilson) during this year's HIBT when they tagged a marlin using a commemorative 50th anniversary HIBT lure on the last day of the competition -- the Alii Brothers team got a trophy for the most marlin caught.

On other trips I've been out with Jeff Fay, Jeff Rogers, Chip Fischer, Shawn Rotella, Tim Hicks, and Billy Dorr. All of these captains and crews were great folks. Most of the time will be spent socializing (fishing action is only a small fraction of the day). May as well be with people you'll like.

You're in the bluewater fishing capital of Hawaii. May as well drive a bit further and get the cream of the crop.

Aloha,
    Dean.

11. Aloha_Jackie

Aloha_Jackie Newbie

Name:
    Jackie
    Boat:
    Aloha Dean Slotroller - mahalo for the advice, I agree. I just thought that it sure would be nice to go out of Keauhou. Its just down the street from my timeshare and I could literally walk there and board. No one ever said it was supposed to be easy, but it sure would be convenient. I have not found any operators that would even be permitted to pick us up there - or at least they all say they cant. I think I will have to go out of Honokohau. It'll be closer to my mothers place in Waikoloa, since I will most likely be bringing her new boy-toy! :loverz: I have been in contact with Ed from Konazone.com and am impressed with their fleet. Marlin Magic is my dream boat, after reading so much about them etc. Sadly, I think my champagne taste is a pipe dream and will probably be forced to take a share charter, maybe the Sea Wife, which is also on their fleet list. We will see. Waipio - wow, beautiful area, love it! You're very lucky! p.s. I know the expertise that the Kona operators provide is worth every penny and dont want to search for the "bargain" and not end up on a good boat because of it. I just need to convince my husband - thanks again, mahalo, Jackie

12. fworden

fworden Newbie

Name:
    frank
    Boat:
    none
    Tim R. – <o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Thank you for providing your “short list” of Kona captains. My wife and I visited the Big Island in mid-August for vacation, your post served as a great starting point in choosing a captain for our fishing trip. Never having fished in Hawaii, and having no local connections to steer us in the right direction, the information you provided was very helpful!<o:p></o:p>
    We ended up booking a full day trip with Jason Holtz on the Marlin Magic. Jason and his deckhand Brian are both great guys and run a first-class operation, good people to spend a day on the water with! The fishing was excellent as well, we ended up catching 2 very nice blue marlin. We got our first hookup 15 minutes into the trip, about 25 minutes later my wife has her first-ever blue marlin to the boat. This fish was healthy so we released her, Jason estimated her at 550#. Not a bad way to start the day! About 60 minutes later we get bit again on one of the short lines, got to watch this fish take the lure which was very cool. After a 30-40 minute fight, we had our second fish of the day to the boat. Jason and Brian did their best to revive this fish, but unfortunately she was out of gas. Jason didn’t think she would make it, so we brought this one aboard. Jason estimated her at 650# on the water, it ended up at 661# at the scale. I was impressed that these guys could estimate the weight of a fish this large and only be off by 11#! So by 9AM we had two 500# plus fish to the boat. Quite a day to say the least, and definitely a day both of us will always remember!<o:p></o:p>
    Had I not found your post on BD, I doubt we would have ever made the connection with Jason, and this day would not have happened.<o:p></o:p>
    Thanks again!<o:p></o:p>
    -Frank

<o:p></o:p>

Attached Files:

13. jagerhunchback

jagerhunchback MCLMM

sometimes oahu.....mostly iraq occasionally afghan
    Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    25 ft powercat "Crazy Haole"
    fworden, sounds like an awesome day on the water, and thanks for the great report!!! welcome to bd

14. liquid lou

liquid lou Newbie

Name:
    Louis Rzen
    Boat:
    245, Trophy, HONDO
    Thanks for everyones input on chartering in Hawaii. My extended family will be in Kaanapali, Maui from August 14-22 of 2010 and will be looking to charter for a full day. I'm hoping to find a charter that will give me deep sea/big fish feel (and hook-up, if lucky). I've been researching the various charter companies and the prices look fare. Can anyone send me the name of a boat/captain that might fit my needs.

-six passengers
    -all agile and rookies
    -want to experience the big fish feel.
    -don't need or want luxury
    -want a boat built for fishing, with good deck space and some cover
    -most of all a nice crew
    -we will tip for a good day out.
    -would like to take some of the catch back to out house as we will be staying for an extended period.

Thanks

15. Lord Matthew34

Lord Matthew34 Fish Slayer

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    21' Super Panga
    I'm going to Hawaii for the first time May30th-June6th 2010. We too are staying in Kaanapali, Maui. A buddy and myself would like to get some fishing in one day. Our hopes would be to go after medium sized hard fighting fish such as Mahi Mahi, Jacks, and Tuna. We're a little limited on cash, so probably will only be able to afford the 3/4 to full day range trips. Any suggestions? Thank you sooooo much in advance.

Matt

16. Sam Seafood

Sam Seafood Newbie

Name:
    Sam Seafood
    Boat:
    (1) Form fitted sanding block
    That is BS the Lahaina News reports yearly and they were not the top Boat.Cheap Charlie is a online booking agent trying to part you with your money.Cheap Charlie is a east coast guy now with no life.

17. Sam Seafood

Sam Seafood Newbie

Name:
    Sam Seafood
    Boat:
    (1) Form fitted sanding block
    Nice boat Cheap Charlie.If you are looking to charter a fishing trip in hawaii go down to the dock an check the boats out, talk to the guys on the boats,then make your choice.Stay away from Cheap Charlie as he will tell you any thing to get your cash.

18. marlinmike

marlinmike head rigger in charge

Name:
    MR.P
    Boat:
    6'4'' viking R. I. P.
    no shit bro if it smell's like a rat,look's like a rat,act's like a rat????
    IT'S A FUCKING RAT
    :spammer:

19. Startmeup

Startmeup Official Sponsor of Bloodydecks Advertiser

Name:
    Lee
    Boat:
    Start Me Up Sportfishing

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.