Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    We were short some on a 10 day and I got on here to advertise. Quite a while ago… when we sailed we had a full load. Told the trip sponsor that I advertised and he said why did you do that. He liked the short load. Can not win.

Upvote 0

Tom Honaker

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Sep 27, 2015
    Hotchkiss Colorado
    Name
    Tom Honaker
    Boat
    Royal Star
    We were short some on a 10 day and I got on here to advertise. Quite a while ago… when we sailed we had a full load. Told the trip sponsor that I advertised and he said why did you do that. He liked the short load. Can not win.
    No good deeds go unpunished!

Upvote 0
    Mar 18, 2011
    SoCal
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    Royal Polaris
    Often I have asked myself why. It's so much easier to just pay online and not worry about anything else. Trust me, taking on the burden of CM duties is no cake walk. First off, the CM is monetarily responsible for any open and unfilled spots on a private charter. Last minute cancellations, that falls onto the CM shoulders as well.
    Your friends call you and beg you to please fill their spot so they can recover their deposits. Then the Boat's office calls you and asks why haven't we filled their spot.

Then you have to manage the bunk assignments. Some guys only want the stern, some only want the bow, some only want to be in the galley, some don't want a roommate, some need the top bunk , some need the bottom bunk, some need a wide bed, some need a long bed, some need a room with a head. Some don't like guys who snore, some don't like guys who fart, some don't like guys who have too many bags.....you get my drift. Long story short, if you're not very organized and don't know your passengers needs inside and out....your trip is going to be a disaster.

Oh...and then there's the food. Can you ask the Chefs to make something else, can you ask them to cook it better, can you ask them not use too much spice, can you ask them if they're planning on making any "Paleo" or "Gluten Free" meals. So on and so on.

Swag - where are all of the giveaways? what do I get for free? why didn't I get one? why didn't I get a shirt? why is there a raffle? I don't use this brand, do you have something else that I could choose from? Do you have anything lighter or heavier instead?

Can you tie on my fluorocarbon, Can you help me get this bird's nest out, Can you help me crimp a hook, can you show me what hooks you're using, Can I borrow some of those hooks? Can I borrow some of your jigs? Can I borrow a spare reel?

Lastly - the fishing. Where's the Captain taking us? Why aren't we fishing over there? Why are we only catching these fish? Can you ask the Captain if we're going to move? What are the Captains plans for the whole trip? Where are the fish?

Yeah......so if you think CM's have it easy, I'll try not to fall over from laughing too darn hard!!!!

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
    Apr 4, 2003
    Tucson
    Visit site
    Name
    David Tang
    Boat
    Intrepid
    Often I have asked myself why. It's so much easier to just pay online and not worry about anything else. Trust me, taking on the burden of CM duties is no cake walk. First off, the CM is monetarily responsible for any open and unfilled spots on a private charter. Last minute cancellations, that falls onto the CM shoulders as well.
    Your friends call you and beg you to please fill their spot so they can recover their deposits. Then the Boat's office calls you and asks why haven't we filled their spot.

Then you have to manage the bunk assignments. Some guys only want the stern, some only want the bow, some only want to be in the galley, some don't want a roommate, some need the top bunk , some need the bottom bunk, some need a wide bed, some need a long bed, some need a room with a head. Some don't like guys who snore, some don't like guys who fart, some don't like guys who have too many bags.....you get my drift. Long story short, if you're not very organized and don't know your passengers needs inside and out....your trip is going to be disaster.

Oh...and then there's the food. Can you ask the Chefs to make something else, can you ask them to cook it better, can you ask them not use too much spice, can you ask them if they're planning on making any "Paleo" or "Gluten Free" meals. So on and so on.

Swag - where are all of the giveaways? what do I get for free? why didn't I get one? why didn't I get a shirt? why is there a raffle? I don't use this brand, do you have something else that I could choose from? Do you have anything lighter or heavier instead?

Can you tie on my fluorocarbon, Can you help me get this bird's nest out, Can you help me crimp a hook, can you show me what hooks you're using, Can I borrow some of those hooks? Can I borrow some of your jigs? Can I borrow a spare reel?

Lastly - the fishing. Where's the Captain taking us? Why aren't we fishing over there? Why are we only catching these fish? Can you ask the Captain if we're going to move? What are the Captains plans for the whole trip? Where are the fish?

Yeah......so if you think CM's have it easy, I'll try not to fall over from laughing too darn hard!!!!
    Doug.... been doing it for 10 years and EVERYTHING you have listed is gospel.....but IMO It is worth all the grief ......

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
    Jun 22, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat
    One that floats

Then you have to manage the bunk assignments. Some guys only want the stern, some only want the bow, some only want to be in the galley, some don't want a roommate, some need the top bunk , some need the bottom bunk, some need a wide bed, some need a long bed, some need a room with a head. Some don't like guys who snore, some don't like guys who fart, some don't like guys who have too many bags.....you get my drift. Long story short, if you're not very organized and don't know your passengers needs inside and out....your trip is going to be disaster.

Adult day care , at its finest.

Upvote 0
    Mar 18, 2011
    SoCal
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    Royal Polaris
    Doug.... been doing it for 10 years and EVERYTHING you have listed is gospel.....but IMO It is worth all the grief ......
    What's up Fishy?! hope all is well..... Yes, you and I both know this routine and all of the challenges that come with it. Funny how one or even sometimes both ears can go deaf on demand depending on who's walking past me.

• Wink Face
    Reactions: Fishybuzz
    Upvote 0

Yellowtail Dan

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Excel, American Angler

Then you have to manage the bunk assignments. Some guys only want the stern, some only want the bow, some only want to be in the galley, some don't want a roommate, some need the top bunk , some need the bottom bunk, some need a wide bed, some need a long bed, some need a room with a head. Some don't like guys who snore, some don't like guys who fart, some don't like guys who have too many bags.....you get my drift. Long story short, if you're not very organized and don't know your passengers needs inside and out....your trip is going to be a disaster.

Ca I get the roomate that doesn't snore or fart? I don't like competition and then I'll need a long top bunk in the bow preferably on the port side.

I can tie my own knots though and take care of my own tangles if that matters

Great response!!

Upvote 0

JohnTFT

Insomniac
    Feb 11, 2007
    The "718"
    Name
    John
    Boat
    A big Steel One
    Been a charter master - Job sucks. For all the reasons Doug (Norcaltunaclub) stated.

Im the easiest passenger in the fleet.
    Don't care about room assignments.
    Don't care what they feed me.
    Don't need swag.
    Definitely don't care about my boarding, kite number or where my tackle box is. (Nota Bene - I board number 6 as I have been on the trip for a long time). If it was #26 that would be fine as well.

What I need is to be on the boat.
    Clean heads (I clean them as well as I have phobias about heads - Too many years commercial fishing - don't ask).
    Have moderately good weather (my best trips have been in shit weather which I don't mind more room on the rail).
    Ample supply of Crown Royal (Probably more than ample) - And Coors Light.
    Good music - very important

I certainly don't give a shit about the Charter master. I'm self sufficient. Don't need assistance from anyone but the Captain and Crew to do what they do.

That's pretty much it - fishing at this point of my life is a bonus for me.

All the rest of the nonsense so many obsess over has to make their experience less enjoyable than mine.

Upvote 0

Soda Pop

Feb 12, 2011
    Fresno, CA
    Name
    David Rouse
    Boat
    Long range fishing

This is exactly why I pay my spot. I have been asked a few times to be a charter master. No thanks. I just love to go fishing and enjoy the company of others. It’s a huge amount of work and I always thank the charter master. It’s not a easy task. So to all the charter masters thank you for your hard work.

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    MAJOR: "What do you make about this lengthy thread Gunny"?
    GUNNY HIGHWAY: "Looks like a worn out rug to me!" "The only Charter I ever got close to, my ex-wife #3 stole my pickup in the Motel6 Parking Lot by Oceans11 in O'Side the Night before" LOL

GunnyHighway.jpg

Upvote 0

dvader

Nov 1, 2006
    Long Beach
    Name
    Mike Flanigan
    Boat
    none
    Every year our club did a twilight trip where people brought their kids or grand kids. It was fun watching the kids catch fish enjoying themselves. On one of our trips I was actually asked if we could skip fishing for sand bass and go out trolling for Tuna with a boat load of kids learning how to fish.

• Sad
    Reactions: Artois
    Upvote 0

egarratt

• Aug 11, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    Eddie G
    Boat
    None
    I don't care about most of the stuff. Just like going to the dentist, standing in the checkout line, or being a angler on a long range trip, I try to make things easier for all involved and be a good "person". No cares about food (way to much), swag (got all that shit already), stateroom (don't spend much time there). All I really care about is that the CM set a good example for how the trip is going to be run.

I like when they speak up first day in meeting and remind people how to act so that the trip is successful.

Upvote 0

dwaynesda

dwayne
    Apr 27, 2003
    santee
    Visit site
    Name
    dwayne
    Boat
    Cabo 216
    I would like to take a crack at answering his questions. I have been chartering boats (1/2 day to 10 day trips since 1989. I have well done well over a million dollars in business with the fleet so I have a little experience in answering his questions.

"I just got an email from my boats front office telling us that there was "one spot open on our trip" and WE as the anglers needed to do what we could to fill that spot To help the charter master out."

This is a request from the office to help the chartermaster out. Most of the time when you see this, the chartermaster has run out of people to call to fill the trip. He has run through all of his family and friends and now he is requesting the rest of the group, through the boat office, to ask their family and friends if they would like to join them to fill it up. This generally works and you get a good addition to the group as the person who invited them does not want a "that guy" on the trip.

I thought the job of the charter master was to fill the boat with people who wanted to fish with him or he/she had so much stuff to give away as to attract people to the charter .

The charter master signs a contract with each individual boat or landing. He and he alone, owe that money to the boat or landing. How he fills it is up to him. If he wants to fish by himself, he has to pay the whole amount. How many he adds after that is up to him to help split the cost. If he can talk to a sponsor to get some swag for the trip to make it attractive to help fill it up, more power to him, but it is not necessary. If the spot does not get filled, he has a few of options. He can eat the cost of the spot or he can contact the rest of the group and split it up amongst them (If they are all good friends, then their is generally no problem with this option) or he can contact the rest of the group, either through personal contact or the boat office to fill the trip. It is his call. For some people, chartering a boat is a big financial risk. It only takes one unfilled charter to cure them of being a chartermaster! I have eaten plenty of spots in my life, and at this point, I do not care, as I remember the great fishing with friends more than I remember the sting of the financial loss.

So the charter master got his free spot? ALSO is the charter masters spot part of the LOAD? or is he in addition to the load?

Some chartermasters run their trips this way. They split the cost of the trip amongst the rest and they fish for "free", as it is a lot of work and worry, and they see that as their "pay" for doing the work. Others split the cost evenly, including themselves, amongst the total group going. That is what I choose to do. Again, that is the choice of the chartermaster as it is "his " trip to run it the way he wants. The landing office or boat operator has no choice in the matter, only that he does not exceed Coast Guard capacity limits and he pays his bill in full before they shove off the docks. Most chartermasters like limited loads as it makes for a more enjoyable trip and the passengers are willing to pay more for their spots to enjoy this luxury. (I have been doing this on the Vagabond for almost 20 years on a 10 day trip and we go with only 16. We pay more but we have an absolute blast every fall railing on wahoo, tuna and yellows down the beach.)

Hope this answers your questions.. My suggestion is this, if you are not willing to take on the financial risk and worry, do not become a chartermaster as you are obligated once you sign the dotted line. If you do become a chartermaster, you will understand in short order how much stress that can be produced from just "going fishing"! You will also be Really happy if it is a great trip and you and your friends had a good time on the boat.

Upvote 0

CMYSIX

Almost A Member
    Aug 22, 2020
    Opelika al
    Name
    Quinn L Chenelle
    Boat
    Independence
    I love the above answers, Like I said I may have interchanged trip SPONSOR and charter master, That was my bad. BUT After having been "took" OR at least I felt that way on a "sponsored trip" on another boat. AFTER listening to a guy pump me about "why go on that ten day on that boat when you could go on this boat AND get all this stuff" I thought I'd try to get a better understanding. The trip that I booked in Jan. was booked because #1 I have not been on a trip in 9 years(busy)#2 I love the boat #3 it was a 16 day and I have always wanted to do a 16 #4 Limited load and I hope that it is 23. #5 there was a spot open. I am beginning to wonder why this spot is not filling because this boat is pretty sold out into the middle of next year. I don't drink, smoke, and I'll try not to fart so I'm not a bad addition to the trip.

Upvote 0

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    None
    Charters and "Charter Masters" vary greatly, I jumped on a 8 day trip where the charter master and his inside group were a bunch of sloppy drunks, not the fun kind of drunk. One night it came to blows between these drunken [email protected] tards, all the good charters I've been on this one soured me.

Was it sponsored by BumFights?

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    I would like to take a crack at answering his questions. I have been chartering boats (1/2 day to 10 day trips since 1989. I have well done well over a million dollars in business with the fleet so I have a little experience in answering his questions.

"I just got an email from my boats front office telling us that there was "one spot open on our trip" and WE as the anglers needed to do what we could to fill that spot To help the charter master out."

This is a request from the office to help the chartermaster out. Most of the time when you see this, the chartermaster has run out of people to call to fill the trip. He has run through all of his family and friends and now he is requesting the rest of the group, through the boat office, to ask their family and friends if they would like to join them to fill it up. This generally works and you get a good addition to the group as the person who invited them does not want a "that guy" on the trip.

I thought the job of the charter master was to fill the boat with people who wanted to fish with him or he/she had so much stuff to give away as to attract people to the charter .

The charter master signs a contract with each individual boat or landing. He and he alone, owe that money to the boat or landing. How he fills it is up to him. If he wants to fish by himself, he has to pay the whole amount. How many he adds after that is up to him to help split the cost. If he can talk to a sponsor to get some swag for the trip to make it attractive to help fill it up, more power to him, but it is not necessary. If the spot does not get filled, he has a few of options. He can eat the cost of the spot or he can contact the rest of the group and split it up amongst them (If they are all good friends, then their is generally no problem with this option) or he can contact the rest of the group, either through personal contact or the boat office to fill the trip. It is his call. For some people, chartering a boat is a big financial risk. It only takes one unfilled charter to cure them of being a chartermaster! I have eaten plenty of spots in my life, and at this point, I do not care, as I remember the great fishing with friends more than I remember the sting of the financial loss.

So the charter master got his free spot? ALSO is the charter masters spot part of the LOAD? or is he in addition to the load?

Some chartermasters run their trips this way. They split the cost of the trip amongst the rest and they fish for "free", as it is a lot of work and worry, and they see that as their "pay" for doing the work. Others split the cost evenly, including themselves, amongst the total group going. That is what I choose to do. Again, that is the choice of the chartermaster as it is "his " trip to run it the way he wants. The landing office or boat operator has no choice in the matter, only that he does not exceed Coast Guard capacity limits and he pays his bill in full before they shove off the docks. Most chartermasters like limited loads as it makes for a more enjoyable trip and the passengers are willing to pay more for their spots to enjoy this luxury. (I have been doing this on the Vagabond for almost 20 years on a 10 day trip and we go with only 16. We pay more but we have an absolute blast every fall railing on wahoo, tuna and yellows down the beach.)

Hope this answers your questions.. My suggestion is this, if you are not willing to take on the financial risk and worry, do not become a chartermaster as you are obligated once you sign the dotted line. If you do become a chartermaster, you will understand in short order how much stress that can be produced from just "going fishing"! You will also be Really happy if it is a great trip and you and your friends had a good time on the boat.
    GREAT AND CLEAR FURTHER EXPLANATION....GOOD JOB

Upvote 0

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
    Mar 27, 2013
    Alaska
    Name
    JAM
    Boat
    Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
    The chartered, sponsored and charter master thing were all new to me when I booked my first LR trip on the RRIII.

There can be Chartered trips with no real Charter Master since the CM doesn't really have to do anything to organize beyond getting anglers on the boat if they don't want to.

There can be Sponsored trips with no charter master. This usually includes the Sponsor providing some amount of swag to justify their name on the charter.

Then there are the Sponsored trips with an active CM who represents the Sponsor. Steve from Penn seems to be one of the most engaged examples of that. Lots of loaner rigs and takes the time to engage with anglers as part of his job. Probably hands off a lot of fish to new anglers too. And it does look like he manages to get his share of the fish on most trips.

Go fishing and don't expect anything extra from the Sponsor or Charter Master. As long as they are not actively messing with you by playing favorites then it is all good.

Reactions: Cubeye

Artois

Dec 29, 2011
    Artois/CA/USA
    Name
    Roy
    Boat
    Not Given
    Wasn't going to chime but its Friday. So how many choose the trip because of the "prizes". I'm as competitive as anyone but I'm not paying thousands for a boat trip and basing which on on a hundred dollars of "stuff" and the outside chance of a bigger prise.

Bill W
    Bill W
    And if you do not need the swag it goes in your junk closet. May be good stuff to you but maybe not me.
    Reactions: Artois
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Latest posts