CMYSIX

Almost A Member
Aug 22, 2020
Opelika al
Name
Quinn L Chenelle
Boat
Independence
I just got an email from my boats front office telling us that there was "one spot open on our trip" and WE as the anglers needed to do what we could to fill that spot To help the charter master out. I thought the job of the charter master was to fill the boat with people who wanted to fish with him or he/she had so much stuff to give away as to attract people to the charter So the charter master got his free spot? ALSO is the charter masters spot part of the LOAD? or is he in addition to the load?

• Haha
Reactions: wils

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
The role of a charter master and what they do and provide. Depends on the charter :D

Maybe one of the already booked passengers knows a friend who would like to go (the trip was full). The office is just maximizing the chances of filling the spot and with someone the group already knows, no biggy. Or a friend of a friend.

Upvote 0

CMYSIX

Almost A Member
Aug 22, 2020
Opelika al
Name
Quinn L Chenelle
Boat
Independence
The role of a charter master and what they do and provide. Depends on the charter :D

Maybe one of the already booked passengers knows a friend who would like to go (the trip was full). The office is just maximizing the chances of filling the spot and with someone the group already knows, no biggy. Or a friend of a friend.
then why have a charter master? the trips without them fill just fine. by the same methods you mentioned.

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Alex
Boat
None
then why have a charter master? the trips without them fill just fine. by the same methods you mentioned.

Why have a charter master? Who is going to put down the deposit for a trip in order to book it? Who is going to coordinate getting all the money together in order to pay for the trip? Who is going to coordinate getting food or compiling a manifest to send to the charter company? Who is going to assign bunks? Well, if you have the money for the deposit and want to spend your time arranging the trip, you can be a charter master too.

Don't assume the job is easy. When people flake out or have situations where they cancel at the last minute, the charter master ends up eating most of the costs. I recall one trip where a family had a death and 5 guys on the trip had to cancel a few days away to attend the funeral. It would suck to have to charge them for it so the charter master tried to fill in the spots at the last minute. He filled some, but ended up with some openings. He had to eat the loss because it would not have been right to charge the long time friends due to the circumstances.

There is a lot of reasons why its not necessarily a "free" trip if you factor in all the time spent to arrange and coordinate the trip. If you think otherwise, you should be a charter master to gain experience. You also have to spent thousands of your own money as a down payment for a trip a year ahead if its a popular trip during the height of tuna season.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    WRONG.....Chartermaster's Trip Generally attract Veteran Fisherman/Women more than open trips. They work with many Fishing Tackle, Clothing and other Sponsers to accumulate SWAG to give away in raffles during the trip. as well as other perks. They do far more than an average open trip. No offense but..
    You remain a Newbie. LOL

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
    Jun 22, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat
    One that floats
    Why have a charter master? Who is going to put down the deposit for a trip in order to book it? Who is going to coordinate getting all the money together in order to pay for the trip? Who is going to coordinate getting food or compiling a manifest to send to the charter company? Who is going to assign bunks? Well, if you have the money for the deposit and want to spend your time arranging the trip, you can be a charter master too.

Don't assume the job is easy. When people flake out or have situations where they cancel at the last minute, the charter master ends up eating most of the costs. I recall one trip where a family had a death and 5 guys on the trip had to cancel a few days away to attend the funeral. It would suck to have to charge them for it so the charter master tried to fill in the spots at the last minute. He filled some, but ended up with some openings. He had to eat the loss because it would not have been right to charge the long time friends due to the circumstances.

There is a lot of reasons why its not necessarily a "free" trip if you factor in all the time spent to arrange and coordinate the trip. If you think otherwise, you should be a charter master to gain experience. You also have to spent thousands of your own money as a down payment for a trip a year ahead if its a popular trip during the height of tuna season.
    When I chartered boats , I asked for 1/2 deposit for the trip, and a sign up sheet,
    If you put your name on it, then you
    We’re responsible for your spot, no matter what, and the final payment a month before the trip, and only had one guy bail on one trip , that got filled pretty easy, money talks ,
    And I paid my spot, and took my son
    For the charter masters spot,
    You just need to know the people,
    Ahead of time.

CMYSIX

Almost A Member
    Aug 22, 2020
    Opelika al
    Name
    Quinn L Chenelle
    Boat
    Independence
    WRONG.....Chartermaster's Trip Generally attract Veteran Fisherman/Women more than open trips. They work with many Fishing Tackle, Clothing and other Sponsers to accumulate SWAG to give away in raffles during the trip. as well as other perks. They do far more than an average open trip. No offense but..
    You remain a Newbie. LOL
    Not Quite a newbee , I did a sponsered trip won't say with Rod Co. because they did not claim it was their trip and I was talked into taking the trip, BECAUSE it had a charter master and ALL the swag we were gonna get! every body got a T shirt and ONE 1 rod was given away and I counted heads and we had 3 more then the advertised load.

watersdeep

I CATCH IT. I KILL IT. I CLEAN IT. I DON'T DELIVER
  • Jan 19, 2016
    LB
    Name
    Jed Venture
    Boat
    the twisted ducker
    Live and learn!!!

Reactions: Tunahead
    Upvote 0

CMYSIX

Almost A Member
    Aug 22, 2020
    Opelika al
    Name
    Quinn L Chenelle
    Boat
    Independence
    NOT unusual for a Chartermaster to offer the spot to those already booked and going...for maybe a friend, fellow angler
    that would "fit in" with the group. Maybe YOU know someone? LOL
    The spot is open on the boats website, anybody can click on it and put their deposit down, just like I did two weeks ago. The charter masters Co. does not claim the trip as their's.

hronk

Almost A Member
    Jul 26, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Bob
    Boat
    19' Tracker
    I charter a 4 day trip on the same boat that I've chartered for 25 years every Sept out of Seaforth landing. No free trip for me, no swag for anybody and just 15-17 guys enjoying the layed back attitudes of the customers, deck hands and captain that we have grown accustomed too. Each year we have 1 or 2 new guys, but never anyone that is not known by a regular. It works out very well for us.

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
    Sep 9, 2010
    SouthBay SF
    Name
    The Kid
    Boat
    Aquasport 222 FFV
    WE as the anglers needed to do what we could to fill that spot To help the charter master out.

That is what I do. Ask other buddies for more buddies. Never had an issue filling charter. Came close a few times, but that is the game you play to fish on the same boat every year with your friends.

But the bill is on me ultimately. I sign the contract.

Doesnt sound like you get what it takes to be charter master. Even with your best buddies, it can be like herding cats....and that is without the emergency/late notice cancels.

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
    Jun 22, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat
    One that floats
    That is what I do. Ask other buddies for more buddies. Never had an issue filling charter. Came close a few times, but that is the game you play to fish on the same boat every year with your friends.

But the bill is on me ultimately. I sign the contract.

Doesnt sound like you get what it takes to be charter master. Even with your best buddies, it can be like herding cats....and that is without the emergency/late notice cancels.
    Some people get confused between a
    Sponsored trip, and a charter.

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    1/2 charter 1/2 sponsored trip is where it gets tricky LOL sorry joking not mocking. Actually seen it before kind of

This question does not apply to the below. Really depends on the particular charter or sponsored trip. Some are allot more generous then others with giveaways, raffle, big fish prizes, ect. No 2 are the same.

FB_IMG_1624398867725.jpg

Sponsored Accurate or Penn, ect. Should have a rep and gear to test ride

Last edited:

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    A charter trip. Is often a group of bad sticks. Who want to fish together that naturally accumulate swag. Often times for many years in a row. Or a bachelor party, office celebration, ect

As opposed to a sponsored trip. Which can be more randons and those looking to seak advice. From a promotional staff. Tons of gear on board. From the manufacture sponsor

jayyyy

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Oct 7, 2008
    NorCal
    Name
    jay
    Boat
    '04 Sea Pro 220 WA / 225 Honda
    Charters and "Charter Masters" vary greatly, I jumped on a 8 day trip where the charter master and his inside group were a bunch of sloppy drunks, not the fun kind of drunk. One night it came to blows between these drunken [email protected] tards, all the good charters I've been on this one soured me.

Upvote 0

kevina

• Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    Not Quite a newbee , I did a sponsered trip won't say with Rod Co. because they did not claim it was their trip and I was talked into taking the trip, BECAUSE it had a charter master and ALL the swag we were gonna get! every body got a T shirt and ONE 1 rod was given away and I counted heads and we had 3 more then the advertised load.
    That's some pretty shitty give aways for a sponsored trip.

Upvote 0

kevina

• Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    Been there done that! I think you newbee's for get that BD Updated the website thus elimating the "status" I was a member of Bloody decks in 2006
    Are we suppose to be impressed with you being a member since 2006. If you chartered/sponsored a trip, Then you should know all the answers to your question??

Upvote 0

Wandering Blues

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Oct 19, 2008
    The Land of Entrapment
    Name
    Curtis
    Boat
    A Pair of Simms G3 Waders
    I pay the same as everyone else on my charter. And in return, I get an ultra-limited load of 20 guys on an 80’ boat who know the drill, on and off the rail. The trip is in Oct, but filled in March (with a wait list) and no one has dropped. No schwag or sponsors, just a very nice negotiated price with the boat that passes the savings along to the guys- about $60 per day less than any open trip they offer.

Upvote 0

CMYSIX

Almost A Member
    Aug 22, 2020
    Opelika al
    Name
    Quinn L Chenelle
    Boat
    Independence
    1/2 charter 1/2 sponsored trip is where it gets tricky LOL sorry joking not mocking. Actually seen it before kind of

This question does not apply to the below. Really depends on the particular charter or sponsored trip. Some are allot more generous then others with giveaways, raffle, big fish prizes, ect. No 2 are the same.

View attachment 1293786

Sponsored Accurate or Penn, ect. Should have a rep and gear to test ride
    Thank you!

Upvote 0

dvader

Nov 1, 2006
    Long Beach
    Name
    Mike Flanigan
    Boat
    none
    I was a charter master for my club for 5 years. I always paid for my spot. We did and still do limited load charters but at times it was challenging to fill the boat other times we would have more people than we needed. I used to hear on a regular basis cant you make room for just one more on the trip. As the charter master I would contact the various boats we went on. Negotiated the price of the boat collected the money for the trip. Picked the dates for the charter always trying to get the right boat at the right time to get fish for everyone. Being the charter master is not easy be can be fun at times when the fishing is good not so much when its bad.

Upvote 0