Charter fishing- shipping your catch off island

Discussion in 'Hawaii Fishing Reports' started by conor, Jan 7, 2011.

1. conor

conor Member

Name:
    Ohana o Kai
    Boat:
    20 ft. Pioneer
    I am hoping to get down to Hawaii from Alaska this spring for some warmth and fishing. In Alaska, its normal for fishermen to freeze and ship their catch back home. Does anyone know of any charterboats or operations which do the same in hawaii, looking to go to Oahu, Maui or the Big island? Living there in the past, I know it typical for clients to leave the fish with the boat but I would love to take home some ono or Ahi.
    Thanks

2. patfishhi

patfishhi Registered User

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
    Conor,
    Try to do a search for this; there used to be a sticky for this exact thing. I forget who had originally posted it. I am sure it can be done.

Thanks
    Pat

3. fishwithme

fishwithme Newbie

Name:
    Kell
    Boat:
    18' Sharkcat KK Maru
    Try Bite Me sportfishing in Kona. I think that's their correct name. Anyway, they also have a restaurant at Honokohau harbor right near where their boats are parked and where they pick up their charters. Not sure if they freeze and ship for you, but they did offer something like that.
    Good luck and Happy New Year!!

4. Pescador Paul

Pescador Paul Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Paul
    Boat:
    Sold the Pursuit- Only a kayak and Wave Runner now
    You will definetly want to check with the boat you fish with to find out their policy regarding keeping fish. It is standard practice in Hawaii (or at least, it used to be) for all fish caught to be kept by the boat, not the angler.

5. Startmeup

Startmeup Official Sponsor of Bloodydecks Advertiser

Name:
    Lee
    Boat:
    Start Me Up Sportfishing
    Conor,

Times have changed a little bit in Hawaii. I can't speak for other companies, but nowadays at Start Me Up our anglers choose what is to be done with the fish. Anglers can elect to leave the fish with the boat or keep it for themselves. Most people decide to keep their fish and we are happy to fillet their catch. Freezing and shipping facilities are limited here on Maui but if you want to ship fish home, that is up to you. Thanks for posting such a great question that surely has crossed a lot of peoples' minds.

Jonny

6. abdiver7777

abdiver7777 abdiver7777

Name:
    Sir2you
    Boat:
    No Name........
    Every Charter in HI believes that the fish is thiers to sell...... Some will give you a piece but if you want your fish you pay extra.....

Save your money and spend it fishing in Mexico.......

Most HI fishing is just a long boat ride anyway...........

I don't know any published statistics but I think a good guess is that only 1 charter in 10 ends up with a fish on board and only one in 25 hooks a Marlin...... Your chances on Oahu are less........ I lived there and my observations are what they are. If someone has some information that is based on emperical data and not emotion then I am happy to be proven wrong.

Sure you gotta chance at a big tuna or a Black or Blue but if you want to fill your freezer spend your money in Mexico.......

Just my opinion........

7. jfausmith

jfausmith Newbie

Name:
    Jeff
    Last time I went fishing in Hawaii the captain of the boat told us that the boat keeps all fish over 100lbs after we left the harbor. That trip we caught 3 marlin and the first two that were caught were over 100lbs so once the fish was next to the boat the person who caught the the first one told the deck hand to remove the hook from the marlin and let it go. He refused to do that and there was the starts of a big fight on the boat.
    I caught a marlin that weighed in at 360lbs and was pissed that the captain got to keep the fish and sell it at the local fish market. That captain was able to make twice the money that day.
    That would never happen in Alaska.

8. popoki

popoki Newbie

Name:
    Quintin
    Boat:
    "Ho'oKele" 26 Alii Kai
    I'm not gonna get emotional about this subject, but I will say this; it pays to do your homework. ask the charter before you book, what there catch policy is? I find it absolutely amazing that someone would charter a sport boat and not be sure what would happen to the catch( please don't take this as an insult).

to answer the original ? I think you would be better off to contact the local GasPro or the like and arrainge for dryice so you can ship your catch home. pick your season for your fish. Kona has the best fishing in my opinion nice water and usually lots of fish.
    goodluck

9. conor

conor Member

Name:
    Ohana o Kai
    Boat:
    20 ft. Pioneer
    thanks for all your posts!

10. untensan

untensan Newbie

Name:
    Terry
    Boat:
    21' Seacat CC
    Conor,

I fish in Kona, but, I don't go after or even like to catch Marlin. I prefer to eat Ono, Ahi, Mahimahi or some of our deep sea fishes. Besides, I rather not duel something that sports a weapon on its face. :Beat_Them I got curious over the comment made regarding the odds of catching Marlin so I tried to find some hard evidence. I used the 2010 Hawaiian International Billfih Tournament for my data. In 5 days 32 boats either boated or tagged and released 49 Marlin. That figures to a little over 30% chance of catching on any day (49/(5*32)). These boats also caught 16 "other" fish (Short Nose Spearfish, Sailfish and Ahi). In 2009, 109 various Marlin were boated by 42 teams. That worked out to just under 52%. This information is available on the HIBT website. Unfortunately, the previous years are not readily available and the Division of Aquatic Resources for the State of Hawaii does not publish their statistics. The Kona Classic Fishing Tournament had 38 teams fishing 2 days and Tagged and Released 28 Marlin for a 36% success rate. These figures are verifiable with a search on the web. I'm assuming that these catch percentages are representative of the average since the fishing dates are set more than one year before the tournaments.

Regarding ownership of the fish, add up the expenses of the boat. A boat burning 4 gallons of diesel @ $4/gallon figures out to $128 for a full day charter. Figure out how much the Captain and Deck Hand should be paid (also, note that they aren't working every day and most have families), how many hours it took to make the boat look nice, the cost and maintenance expenses for the rods and reels (and don't forget the lures), the cost of keeping the engine purring, and how much it costs to keep the navigation equipment up to date. These guys are in it for the love of fishing. Selling a fish is a bonus. Add to that, these are not cattle boats. Your group has the final say on if you're going to target Marlin, Ono, Mahimahi, Ahi, bottom fish, or just Aku. (I'd suggest that you leave the captain a little room since he's the most knowledgable on what's been caught recently. If there's a cargo net with 100s of Ono, I think you'd want to know.)

One last thought, a Captain that I've dealt with in the past told me, "We don't argue over dead fish." His attitude was he would not risk losing a customer over a fish. As someone said earlier, your intentions should be known to the Captain and Crew before leaving the dock. Also, you will need to find someone who can pack the fish for shipment. IIRC, IATA allows 4.4 lbs. (2kg.) of dry ice per passenger and the passenger needs to notify the airline since it is considered hazardous material and the pilot has to sign off on it before the flight.

11. oldmanadam

oldmanadam Newbie

Name:
    adam lahne
    Boat:
    22' fiberform "amateur hour"
    one more cost to add in to the equation: mooring or slip fees.

12. Seekin' Makaira

Seekin' Makaira Newbie

Name:
    JB
    Boat:
    None now
    Yes, Mexico is a fine alternative. I mean sure, you literally risk losing your head, but if a guy who once lived there said it sucks, the millions who disagree must be idiots.

13. FINATIC 21

FINATIC 21 MAD SALMON

Name:
    Jay
    Boat:
    27 Raydanie Pilothouse
    I guess I am on the otherside of the coin here, I have worked on Oahu on and off for the last 17 years, I fish alot on the mainland and own two boats, therefore when I am here I wanted someone I could develop a relationship with here on the island and fish with on a regular basis, Believe me, me I know the operating costs of being a boat owner and operator, minus some of the commercial costs the skippers pay to do business here.

I run for the albies of the washington and oregon coast and our time spent on the coast "Costs US", but we realize we have to pay to play, and try to split it up between my hardcore fishing buddies on every trip.

Moral of the story is I hung around the harbor for a short time, when I first started working over here years ago, talked with the captains and developed a relationship in a short amount of time, they knew what to expect from me and I knew what to exect from them.

if we do good or bad on a trip, we always split the catch, just like we do between my buddies back at home, I do more than any average customer on the boat, cause I know what needs to be done, before anyone says it does and I like to be a part of the whole operation/trip as I get way more satisfaction out of it, just like I do when I am skipper of my own vessel, and when I help out, I pay far less and am able to go on alot more trips and actually afford it.

I am actually thinking of buying a another boat just to leave here in the islands at storage, for when I am here as it is usualy 3-4 months out of the year.

the boat I fish on here in Oahu is not the fastest or the most pretty boat in the harbor, but it has new power and is comfortable and reliable in big seas, point is I trust it after so many trips and the skipper is a excellent fisherman and knows when to change tactics to be successful and get the most bang for the buck out of diesel costs.

as for the Marlin numbers listed above and getting one here and there, in the last 5 trips we have had 6 to the boat, with 3 over 300lb and some 80-100lb babies we released to get big, along with 3-4 Yellowfin over 40 lbs on 3 of those trips, numerous AKU, Mahi, Ono and small yellowfin Shibies, that all taste great on the plate.

Shop around and talk to folks, you will be suprised as to the friendliness, you run into with fellow fisherman, even out here in the middle of the pacific.

PM me if ya need a steer in the right direction, Conor

as for shipping fish, not excactly how far you would be flyig home, but all I do is pay for a extra bag and ship a cooler with prefrozen fish, use sealed frozen gel bags tape it shut and it gets home to Seattle with me no problem and is still frozen solid, when I am putting in the deep freeze at my home base, just my 2 cents and works for me, everything is vacum packed here before I leave that way i get awayfrom the dry ice thing. if you were going further, you could just repack with new bags, when you got to the west coast before continuing.

Gotta love it--FINATIC

Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  14. jagerhunchback

jagerhunchback MCLMM

sometimes oahu.....mostly iraq occasionally afghan
    Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    25 ft powercat "Crazy Haole"
    don't listen to the haters and the naysayers. if you like to come out here and get your fish on members of this board in addition to charter operations listed in the sticky will serve you well. here is the link to free supplies to send your fish back to the mainland via air http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/hawaiian-fishing/118916-if-you-need-help-shipping-fish.html

they aint got no aloha in mexico!!!!!:rofl:

15. patfishhi

patfishhi Registered User

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
    Thanks Mike that was the one referred to...