Chart Study: Do you look before you leap?

Discussion in 'Washington Fishing Reports' started by Nelly, Jun 17, 2016.

1. Nelly

Nelly Advertiser Advertiser

Name:
    Tom Nelson
    Boat:
    30' Duckworth "SeaBeast"
    Ok, I know most of you fell asleep right after the word "study" but for those that are as deeply addicted to as I...

Can you get your "fix" (pardon the pun) from your chart plotter or do you use another platform to study charts?

Personally, if i'm hitting a piece of water for the first time, I'm looking at charts on my phone and/or iPad well in advance. That effort is partially driven out of curiosity but I'm also looking for features & structure that I recognize from other productive areas that I've had success.

I run a Navionics Platinum+ chip in my Simrad and the Ap on my phone and iPad so I'm looking at the same cartography across all my devices.

It's a nice feeling when you get to the grounds and while looking at your plotter you recognize what you've studied. That's where confidence comes from and confidence produces fish.

So, do you study? The fish are writing the test even as we speak....

Grady226, bbordeau and Titan like this.
  2. Titan

Titan I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Kamen
    Boat:
    Dinghy
    I downloaded and georeferenced the bathymetric NOAA charts and study them with SeaClear or OpenCPN.

Emzbuddy likes this.
  3. TonyG

TonyG I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Tony
    Boat:
    NR Seahawk OS 26'; 20' Alumaweld Super Vee Sled
    I am always amazed if someone does not have the Navioncs app. It's a few bucks to get you the functionality my several hundred dollar platinum+ chip gets me on my chart plotters (you need both though IMO).

In addition, I want to point out that If you are at your desktop/laptop, the free web interface is very nice to use.

https://webapp.navionics.com/

Nelly likes this.
  4. Sundodger

Sundodger Fishing is fun

Name:
    James
    Boat:
    Wooldridge SS Offshore
    I do study up, but I don't use the same software that's on my chart plotter, but I do study. Combination of NOAA charts, google earth, and some other various maps and mapping programs I have.

It has lead to a few surprises, all maps have errors and not all maps have the same errors. This is why when I am off trail backpacking I carry a couple different maps of the same area.

Nick Rudnick and Nelly like this.
  5. C-Dawg

C-Dawg Member

Name:
    Rick
    Boat:
    JodyRay, 24' Sea Sport Explorer
    I'm like Sundodger, I use a collection of tools to study an area for contour, tides, currents, etc. If relatively close to shore, I'll note those geographical points as well so I have more references while on the water. And I don't just study new places I'm heading to, but familiar places as well. It's amazing how you can discover or notice something you've missed the last 100 times you looked at the chart.

6. tambs

tambs Yo BD! Color Screens-Invented Mid '50s. Jus sayin.

Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    "Bottom Line" - 25' Carolina Classic SF
    +1. As a matter of fact, I just downloaded the new update to OpenCPN and re-installed the latest Raster charts from NOAA today.

I am a bit miffed with Navionics. It's a good app, but their support seems to be diminishing. Perhaps it's not their support inasmuch as greed, but I used to have their USA and Canada app on my iPad Air and I recently replaced that iPad with the 12" Pro model. Since doing that, I went to download USA and Canada and found that it wasn't available anymore except to purchase again. So the money I spent on the original app is gone, and I don't have access to it any longer. Sure I can purchase it again, but I'm not fond of companies that cease support of their product in favor of draining customers pockets for the "latest and greatest". There is no reason for Navionics to drop the app from the App Store, other than to force consumers into digging into their wallet again.

USA and Canada was a $20 purchase. Now it's $55. I had some additional modules purchased too that I'd have to get again as well. Another problem with Navionics apps is that they are quite frequently not available on the app store.

I'm working on figuring out how to restore USA and Canada to the new iPad from a previous iTunes backup, but I need to get my kid on the case. He's my goto for all things Apple. In the interim, I downloaded Jeppesen's C-Map app called Plan2Nav. The app is free, but the charts are in-app purchases. Haven't bought any charts, so I haven't used the app much yet.

Nelly likes this.
  7. BrickShouse

BrickShouse Alaska Grown

Name:
    Erik
    Boat:
    Raider 2484 Cuddy "LazyCoho"
    I spend a lot of time looking at Navionics but I'm always surprised at how off the depths are once I get to spots I've looked at...

Brian D likes this.
  8. silver slayer

silver slayer I've posted enough I should'nt have to edit this

Name:
    Josh
    Boat:
    25' starcraft expedition
    Just curious how many look at a paper chart and can get a gps cord from that. Or a compass reading and calculate time

TunaHore likes this.
  9. TonyG

Name:
    Tony
    Boat:
    Never anymore. Years ago I used to find those waypoints published on the fishing charts and enter them in. Still have those. Now I have such high resolution bathymetry I can find spots simply by looking at the map.

My compasses/paper maps are only for backup security if things shit the bed. Excepting my digital compass which keeps my autopilot fed with data and lets me see how I'm pointed compared to how I'm actually moving over ground.

oldschool 1 likes this.
  10. bbordeau

bbordeau Member

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    Storm Trooper
    There was a thread sometime back that referred to the Consistently Successful Angler and it really struck a chord with me. It made me think about fishing in a totally different way. The difference between being in the 10% who catch and the 90% who don't is all in how they prepare. Studying structure, visualizing currents and how the tide impacts them were part of a broader theme - becoming a CSA. There are a thousand things that must go right when you are consistently successful but only one thing needs to go wrong for you to fail. For me, I think this is why I (and many of the people here) gain as much enjoyment out of others catching and landing fish on their boat, as they do. I am by no means a CSA, but as I work at it, there are things that I see now that I didn't before. Above all, preparation, be it reading charts, cleaning gear, changing oil or curing bait, is the key to becoming a CSA.

Thanks
    Brian

Nelly likes this.
  11. DaKanati

DaKanati Captain

Name:
    Josh
    Boat:
    272 Sailfish "ManCave"
    Spent many nights sitting in my boat, drinking a beer, studying my plotter while still in my driveway!

12. TunaHore

TunaHore World Champion Boat Ho

Name:
    Tuck
    Boat:
    Carolina Dory

I think there is a time and place for on-line, mobile apps, and chart plotters. I also think there are times only a paper chart will do. For me, it is much easier to get the big picture on paper charts. If I want to focus on a 2 - 4 square mile patch of water, I switch to mobile apps or web sites. For me, the chart plotter is more of a on-the-water tool, I do not spend much time studying with the plotter.

Hunter Dan likes this.
  13. Fishinnut

Fishinnut I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Ron Garner
    Boat:
    32 Proline Express
    Absolutely Nelly. Thousands of hours studying charts. I use to use as many as I could. Start with paper, then to my old Nautical Software computer charts.

Back when the first navionics charts came out, you had to buy the SD card, buy the charts and then pay them to download the charts onto the card. I want to say that back then it for these smaller charts cost a ton of money. The Puget Sound, Neah Bay/Barclay Sound, and Westport/Columbia River loaded was $1000. So charts now are dirt cheap.

I had the Lowrance card, Navionics and finally the FishNChip, along with Computer charts. Between all of them, one or two would be better than the rest. Once fishing these areas you could figure out what was correct. I think I cross referenced 5 different charts total.

At La Push Halibut fishing, I had my old Navioncs Fish N Chip in my Lowrances. I wanted to upgrade it before I left, but didnt get around to it. I checked these charts against my phone Navionics sonar charts. My old charts were more accurate than my phone. Glad I didnt upgrade.

I study charts still to know how to fish an area.

Joelsk15 and Nelly like this.
  14. TonyG

Name:
    Tony
    Boat:
    Absolutely. Just not "a" beer, but yes. It's better now with a big display than it used to be with a 5".

Kiss my ass in advance on any 5" comments.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
    Grady226 likes this.
  15. Hunter Dan

Hunter Dan I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    MUGWUMP
    I still use paper charts and maps for study at home. Lay them out on the pool table and walk 'round and 'round musing and planning and thinking. On the MUGWUMP I do use the chart plotter more and more, BUT my huge stack of the old Bottom Contour charts are still on the boat with my decades of hand written marks on them. ( some so faded I can't read em!), the Cruising Atlas and the Fish-n-Maps are are available to spread on the cabin table and cross reference to the plotter. Here pretty quick the pool table will be covered in hunting maps. I know where I'll be fishing our short seasons this year. The real question will be; Where to hunt and scout with the extra time we have this fall with no coho seasons!?!?

Fog Ducker! likes this.
  16. KimH

KimH Someday I'll live the dream.

Name:
    Kim
    Boat:
    26' Duckworth..."Mayhem"
    I find our plotter screens too small and tedious for easy study.
    I like the paper bathymetric maps (not charts). They are very detailed, as good as my Platinum chip if not better and much easier to use because you can lay one on a bench or kitchen table for some research. The nav charts are good also but made more for navigation.

Here's the NOAA site listing the fishing bathy maps for off the coast of Washington.
    http://maps.ngdc.noaa.gov/viewers/fishmaps/
    Just zoom into the area of interest and click on the red areas for the bathy fishing maps.
    If you want an area in paper go to Captains Nautical in Ballard (they are at a new location now) and buy the paper. If they don't have it in stock they have a large printer that can print it for you. Much, much easier than looking on one of our plotter screens.

EJ Swanny, 53driver and TunaHore like this.
  17. Rellis

Rellis Boss

Name:
    Ray Ellis
    Boat:
    21' Trophy, "Cape Spencer"
    I use Nautic Insight charts on my Lowerance GPS on the boat. Love their detail. I use a combination of paper NOAA charts and the NOAA on-line viewer to study charts on my pc or IPad at home. I do spend multiple hours prior to fishing to confirm bottom in potential fishing spots.

18. Titan

Titan I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Kamen
    Boat:
    Dinghy
    Try displaying a bathy map on a big screen TV.

Cap'n Coldeye likes this.
  19. FVSerenity

FVSerenity Captain

Name:
    Rod
    Boat:
    22' Duckworth FVSerenity, 2502 Trophy FVHappyHours
    Don't cook your sonar transducer, just remember when you realize your sonar seems to be getting weaker, I told you so..

I have apps on my pc and phone that I chart browse on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. wdlfbio

wdlfbio Once you go Cat, you never go back

Name:
    laurence
    Boat:
    Vacancy
    I roll out about 90 minutes after the Gradys leave. Then I find em once they are on the fish. Pretty easy and helps me eat a good breakfast each morning.