Charlie brown circle hooks

themacs

Jul 18, 2003
San Clemente CA
Name
scott
Boat
none
Charlie brown circle hooks. Just wondering what everybody’s thoughts are regarding the quality of these hooks on 150 to 250 pound yellow fin?

dtf

Well-Known "Member"
Apr 16, 2004
So. Bay Ca
Name
David
Boat
22ft, Pursuit
Charlie brown circle hooks. Just wondering what everybody’s thoughts are regarding the quality of these hooks on 150 to 250 pound yellow fin?
Hooks them self are good, I just do not like the small diameter rings they use. But what do I know, I'm old:-):-)

Tim Turis

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 16, 2004
Atlanta GA
Name
Tim Turis
Boat
n/a
E664045B-5A1B-40A9-96A0-3EE366A82C6A.jpeg
At the suggestion of John Nappo (JohnTFT), I started using Charlie Brown hooks about three or four years ago. As was mentioned above, the welded rings are smaller diameter than used by other manufacturers (and I too wish they were slightly larger in diameter).

That said, I fished a puffer fish on a factory ringed 5/0 Charlie Brown to land a 307# on a trip last spring. By correctly tying a knot that goes through eye of the hook twice (I used a Trilene knot), you distribute the the forces across a larger area mitigating the effects of the smaller diameter factory welded ring.

p.s. I believe that the hooks are available without rings if you choose to ring them yourself. Photo shows 5/0 Charlie Brown and an 8/0 Eagle Claw 2004/2005 for size comparison.

https://www.tunafishtackle.com/product/quick-rig-charlie-brown-ringed-circle-hooks/

Last edited:

$norkle

Well-Known "Member"
May 6, 2008
Corvallis,OR
Name
Bruce
Boat
In my dreams!
I've used all the ringed circle hooks and had success with all of them, but since I started using Charlie Brown circles, I'm pretty sure my rate of getting bit has gone up. They're also just a little lighter which probably helps a bait to swim easier. On the other hand, it might just be a biased perception based on a small data set-----even so, I've got a 220 on a 5/0 so probably they're pretty strong, and have a 281 on a 12/0 in a big bait. Even if they aren't better, I'm sold on them just because of my confidence in them, and that's probably most important anyway.

Haly0

Pescado hunter
Aug 10, 2015
Surf city, usa
Name
Hal
Boat
lightest load party boat available
Love fishing the 1/0’s and 2/0’s locally for bft. Have heard a story of 2 cows caught on the same 1/0 Charlie Brown hook long range.

I was in FT Lauderdale last year and stopped by the Quick Rig HQ to pick up hooks in person. Howard, the owner is a GREAT guy to do business with.
Like @Trophy Tackle said, nothing but quality