Charger question

Jun 19, 2005
Los Angeles
Name
Vic
Boat
Wellcraft Bay 195
I recently upgraded to a 4 bank precision digital charger from minn kota and I know the manual says not to mount the charger directly above the batteries but what if I have AGM batteries? I assume they don’t leak or give out gases so it’ll be ok? The reason I ask is because my console is very limited in space( 4 group 27 batteries) and the only way to mount is directly above...yay or nay for mounting? Any other options or suggestions? Thanks!

dcarlisle

Captain
Jun 25, 2008
The Island
Name
Dave
Boat
Boatless
You should be fine. If AGM batteries are charged improperly, they will off gas through a relief valve, and once the overcharge situation stops and the battery cools down, that one way relief valve prevents gasses (air) from re-entering the battery and thus you will see the side walls caved in a bit.
It wouldn't hurt to add a ventilation grate or two to your console if you don't already have them just to be safe. four group 27 batteries is a lot of storage for a 19' boat!
Enjoy!

skipjack

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 20, 2004
santa maria
Name
skip
Boat
2320 Parker "Donna Marie"
I wouldn’t do it.
I’ve experienced a battery blowing up,it sounds like a gun shot,acid flying everywhere,15’ in the air.
This happened while it was being charged.
Why do you need 4 batteries?

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot
I assume the charger is ignition protected?

I agree with Dave that you should be fine.I would recommend that you follow good wiring practices and use covers on the battery terminals etc etc.

Reactions: dcarlisle

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
  • Oct 19, 2012
    California
    Name
    Shewillbemine
    Boat
    Chips N Guac
    I wouldn’t do it.
    I’ve experienced a battery blowing up,it sounds like a gun shot,acid flying everywhere,15’ in the air.
    This happened while it was being charged.
    Why do you need 4 batteries?

Probably 2 for the boat and 2 for trolling motors. I've had 4 batteries on all my boats.

Jun 19, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Vic
    Boat
    Wellcraft Bay 195
    Probably 2 for the boat and 2 for trolling motors. I've had 4 batteries on all my boats.

Yes, exactly. 2 for boat and 2 for trolling motor. Boat main and a backup. Console is very tight and the batteries pretty much take up all the floor space. Only other option would be the front storage hatch but I would have to extend the leads. As of now it’s a pain to connect/disconnect after each trip...