Channel island halibut

Dudley613

• May 20, 2015
    Inyotuckee CA
    Name
    Chris
    Boat Name
    21' Cole superhawk "Beep Beep", 20' bayrunner open
    Anyone have a favorite way to target these guys? Headed out with tucker on a two day and they’ve been getting some halibut. Typical reverse dropper loop and lead heads?

Upvote 0

7emptsT

Jul 23, 2021
    California
    Name
    Tyson
    Boat Name
    Kayaks
    I’ve had my best luck using egg sinkers to a swivel with about 24” of leader to my hook. Helps if the halibut can run with the bait with out feeling the weight, makes them less likely to spit the hook. Flatties are bad hook spitters.

Upvote 0

abdiver7777

abdiver7777
  • Jul 2, 2009
    So Cal
    Name
    Sir2you
    Boat Name
    No Name........
    Egg sinker with a tail hooked Mackerel in sandy bottom area works for me...

Check for the scheduled Grunion runs... during those times find a sandy bottomed area and try just behind the surf line......

I used to beach dive and several times at Doheny swimming back in I'd see Flatties lined up waiting for bait to get disoriented in the surf.... usually when I didn't have my speargun on me....

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat Name
    whichever has the longest bunk
    I’ve had my best luck using egg sinkers to a swivel with about 24” of leader to my hook. Helps if the halibut can run with the bait with out feeling the weight, makes them less likely to spit the hook. Flatties are bad hook spitters.
    Most of our target fish have big mouths and will gulp a bait whole, thus the hook is inside the mouth when you feel the bite. Halibut have smaller jaws and the majority of the time they target the back half of the bait, bite and crush with their jaw for a second or two, then spit and immediately swallow the dead baitfish head first. Thus, as 7emptsT said, you should give slack line for a count of several seconds before coming tight.

Upvote 0

Dudley613

• May 20, 2015
    Inyotuckee CA
    Name
    Chris
    Boat Name
    ask the deckies when you get on board as to what is working
    Always do, but sometimes you get a gem on BD that they may not know about. I’ve also been told by deckhands that fluoro is not needed for BFT on a SD LR boat. 🤷‍♂️

Upvote 0

2Rotten

Live in Oregon/Love to Fish San Diego!
    Jan 10, 2010
    Junction City OR
    Name
    Rod Lathrop
    Boat Name
    24' North River Seahawk Hardtop "Sun Dog"
    Probably not the same thing... In Oregon my best Halibut bait is a dropper loop with a big Circle Hook with a white 8" Gulp Grub and a 4" slice of Tuna Belly trailer. This one came to play last week-end.

images

12248.jpeg

Upvote 0

Encinoman

Jan 4, 2013
    Encino/California/us
    Name
    Adam cox
    Boat Name
    None
    Depends on conditions: depth, current, drifting, on anchor, etc…

About half of our halibut, and most of the fish over 20 come on the standard dropper loop. Both on anchor and drifting. Nothing special here, just let the rod load and wind.

On the drift shallow, or without a ton of current, a Carolina rig or fish finder rig (sliding red tube with a clip on it above a swivel) to 3-5 feet of 15-25 lb flouro and an appropriate hook can be great. Trap rigs with a size 4 treble help quite a bit when the bait is big and the average size fish is relatively small. Usually fish 2-6 ounces, any more and it’s easier to fish the dropper loop. this rig allows you let the fish chew on it for a while.

On the anchor a 1-2 ounce leadhead pumped slowly off the bottom is the best way to cover ground and run into one. This works great on the drift as well when fishing shallower water, and will kill seabass too.

Upvote 0

Wade K in deep

IFish4Sanity&SelectivelyHarvest
  • Sep 24, 2019
    Mariposa, CA
    Name
    Wade Knupp
    Boat Name
    Kayak & Kickboat
    2Rotten,
    You're right. Not the same. You get Pacific Halibut up North and the 1 in your picture is nice, but a little better than average for up there.
    We get California Halibut down here. Much smaller typically, and shallower usually. Yours could be considered a lifetime fish if it was a Cali Hali.
    Dudley,
    You got it. I like 18-24" to my ball and 30 to 60" to my hook(s). Sliding snelled 1/0-2/0 Gamak... octopus hook with a #6 treble if the bait is big. #2-4 Octopus hook for smaller bait. Set 1 rod in the holder and toss 1-1 1/2oz swimbaits with the other. 4-6" seems to be producing the best so far this season.

Upvote 0

MattFred1414

• Jan 3, 2020
    San Diego
    Name
    Matt
    Boat Name
    20ft Skeeter Zx20Bay
    Single dropper loop with a stinger rig. They’re more aggressive than you think and will swim with the bait unless you rip it from them. We’ve had them swim up to the boat. Small #6 treble hook on the back of the sardine/squid helps.

6F708260-AA1E-42CA-8E20-E79EA844C4E1.jpeg

Upvote 0

Omarkayak

I've posted enough I should know better...
    Jul 26, 2007
    Northridge, CA
    Name
    Donald W. Clarke III
    Boat Name
    11+ ft, Ocean Kayak Scrambler, P 'N' Queue Pod
    Halibut may eat the entire bait in a single instant or they may just chew on it darn near forever (fin bait mainly). If the bait (or lure) is moving along at a fairly steady clip they seem more aggressive. I think that's why bottom trolling often works well. Although relatively slow troll speed, it's still faster than most drifts. Good fishin'!

Reactions: 7emptsT
    Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
    Jun 22, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat Name
    One that floats
    Always do, but sometimes you get a gem on BD that they may not know about. I’ve also been told by deckhands that fluoro is not needed for BFT on a SD LR boat. 🤷‍♂️
    On the Dawn I used a dropper loop ,
    With the hook four feet up from my weight,
    With A live Squid, and caught A 15 pounder,
    And I seen it work on the Endeavor too,
    Use A 5/0 Ahi twist hook, that’s what they
    Recommended, and just wind through the bite.

Reactions: 7emptsT
    Upvote 0

swami 805

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Mar 9, 2016
    Name
    Bill
    Boat Name
    sunk it
    Dropper loop, reverse dropper loop, Carolina rig, they all work as long as you’re on the bottom. A lot depends on how fast your drifting. Fast drift either way dropper loop, slow stealthy Carolina rig. Trap rig is helpful with bigger bait but don’t discount a lively anchovy on a small hook. If you’re anchored fan casting some kind of plastic from the bow

Upvote 0

Dudley613

• May 20, 2015
    Inyotuckee CA
    Name
    Chris
    Boat Name
    On the Dawn I used a dropper loop ,
    With the hook four feet up from my weight,
    With A live Squid, and caught A 15 pounder,
    And I seen it work on the Endeavor too,
    Use A 5/0 Ahi twist hook, that’s what they
    Recommended, and just wind through the bite.
    Thanks Jerry, pretty sure that halibut you got was with Cody last year lol.

Reactions: jer dog
    Upvote 0