Channel Island 8/3 to 8/6

Discussion in 'Central California Fishing Reports' started by Outrage Craig, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Outrage Craig

Outrage Craig Newbie

Name:
    Outrage Craig
    Boat:
    El Pangero
    Trailered our 28’ Farallon W/A down to Channel Island Harbor and spent three days/nights at the Islands. Great weather and sightseeing but fishing was very slow. Picked up two scoops of live bait before heading out. Was suppose to be a sardine and anchovy mix. We went through all the bait for a grand total of 2 sardines. Spent a lot of time trolling X-Raps on the south side of Anacap and Santa Cruz Islands for nada. Not even a bonito. Ran over to Santa Rosa and drifted for halibut at Becher’s Bay and Santa Rosa shoal for a few shorts, Rockies, etc. Great trip but disappointing fishing. Maybe those more experienced at fishing the islands can point us in the right direction for our next trip.

Alan and jscott like this.
  2. wils

wils lazy-ass well known "member"

Name:
    bill
    Boat:
    I hate boats
    full moon cycles work well at the islands. from 4 days before to a day or so after.
    and learn how to sabiki maceral while cooking dinner. ;)

Alan and Captain Steve like this.
  3. RyanErb

RyanErb Love to fish!

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    OnTheWater
    If you look at the fish counts, it hasn't been on fire by any means. I know some friends that went over there and they didn't get any yellowtail either. If you are specifically after yellowtail, you gotta keep and eye out for breezers/puddlers and sort of just be in the right spot at the right time. Slow trolling live mackerel can be pretty effective to find fish. But all in all, it's not like there are 10,000 yellowtail waiting to jump on your hook out there right now.

You may consider going on a 4 pack like Legit Sportfishing or on a regular charter like Aloha Spirit to maybe learn some of the ropes in the area...

4. swami 805

swami 805 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    sunk it
    • Really helps to set up in a fishy looking spot and chum. Tough on a PB but even chunking frozen bait can get some stuff going by the kelp. I go twice a month on the island tak and without chum we likely wouldn’t catch shit either this time of year. Whole different ball game when there’s squid around. Pretty cool islands though, sounds like a cool trip anyway

slapazz likes this.
  5. benrd81

benrd81 Member

Name:
    Ben
    Boat:
    2660 Sailfish WAC Reellife
    It can be hit or miss this time of year. It takes a lot of time on the water to get these islands figured out. Been at it for quite a few years now and still learning. The game fish are always moving. If you can find the bait you'll find the fish.

6. mullet

mullet Metal Fabricator

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    19"Gregor
    Learn to drive by the receiver . We were out 7/31 and there was enough bait out in front of the harbor to sink a boat. We went 3 for 5 on the yellows and one very large black that went down under his own power.

We made enough sardines and macks that we released about half a scoop at the end of the day. When you get on the bait team work is best.
    If your both loading up your bait catchers leave one in the water while the other guy unloads his in the tank.This serves 2 purposes ,the baits hanging in the water keeps the rest of the school around and your not cluster fucking the bait tank with 2 loaded bait catchers hanging over it.

repo805, pete j and slapazz like this.
  7. slapazz

slapazz Member

Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    17' sportcraft
    These yellows have been all about good bait. Worth the extra effort to make good bait before you set up. We have been setting up a little shallower than usual this year. Try anchoring up and getting a little chum going like stated above that has been helpful. Chunks and any tiny anchovies will do

8. swami 805

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    sunk it
    Went today and had limits of calicos flylining red crabs by 730. Fished the game fish the rest of the day. 2 yellows and a wsb all on chovies. We made some mackerel too. I got one bite a on a big corn fed mackerel. Still some big fish at that island

C9CD0387-11C4-4A57-8160-EF45F13A7793.jpeg

onehottip, terryc., matta57 and 4 others like this.
  9. Outrage Craig

Outrage Craig Newbie

Name:
    Outrage Craig
    Boat:
    El Pangero
    We covered a ton of water over the three days and never metered any schools of yellowtail or saw any bird activity, breezes or puddlers. The one and only significant concentration of bait we metered was straight out from our Yellow Banks anchorage. Some of it looked like squid but the only thing we were able to jig up was Spanish mackerels. Not sure if that helps, but those we’re our observations.

10. InDeepShip

InDeepShip Ah ship

Name:
    Adam
    Boat:
    In my Dream's
    Anyone see any squid out there

11. swami 805

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    sunk it
    No squid for quite awhile,water is very warm. There's a few flying fish. There's mackerel around in the gaps. Meter around current breaks with floating crap. A lot of life around,maybe a wave of gamefish will push up from the south

12. benrd81

benrd81 Member

Name:
    Ben
    Boat:
    There's squid around. Just gotta know where to look for it. This was from last weekend in 67 deg water. 20180803_215136.jpg

marlyn, Alan, repo805 and 2 others like this.
  13. swami 805

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    sunk it
    You found them, we were in 72 deg water. First time we didn't see sieners so figured it was dry

14. benrd81

benrd81 Member

Name:
    Ben
    Boat:
    there hasn't been a seiner or light boat in this area all year.

15. Outrage Craig

Outrage Craig Newbie

Name:
    Outrage Craig
    Boat:
    El Pangero
    What is usually the best month for Yellow Tail at the Channel Islands?

16. swami 805

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    sunk it
    We saw sieners every time we went in May and June coming down the back side of Santa Cruz and thru the gap at anacapa. Usually a lite boat or 2 as well. Maybe because we fish on weekdays but there were plenty of them

17. swami 805

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    sunk it
    Every year is different there so it’s hard to pin down a month. Summer fall can be good. There’s some homeguard yellows there all year and once in a while some one will get a mutant big one.

18. BloodyHooker

BloodyHooker Member

Name:
    Boat:
    Rockharbor SC
    "Learn to drive by the Bait Dock"
    -Best advice given on this thread. Learning how/where/when to make the bait at the islands will put you on fish much more often than simply buying bait.

Dont be afraid to put in A LOT of time at Anacapa. There are almost always fish there and being a small island you can spend time finding them.
    Also dont be afraid to set the anchor and sit there for hours. The fish will come through. Dropper loops are your friend!

TIME ON THE WATER!!!

19. Randall Selsby

Randall Selsby Newbie

Name:
    Randall
    Boat:
    Brava
    image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Never underestimate the power of frozen squid or some good luck. Rolled out to the south end of capa on the morning of Aug. 2 and hooked in to two wsb.

jscott, crewstim and repo805 like this.
  20. Outrage Craig

Outrage Craig Newbie

Name:
    Outrage Craig
    Boat:
    El Pangero
    Did you get them on the anchor or on the drift? Those are beautiful fish.

Jeff Gonzalez likes this.