Shimano Penn

I Should Upgrade My Account
Dec 3, 2014
Chula Vista
Name
David
Boat
Fond Memory
Any tips or tricks for loosening a loop to loop connection to change wind ons? Toothpick? Wet line or dry line? I don’t want to damage either the main line or WO if I can help it🙄

Upvote 0

Luke

Uses alot of bait!
Aug 19, 2006
Laguna Niguel
Name
Luke
Boat
none
I have a special stainless steel ice pick that is very pointed that I use to open the cat’s paw....I simply put the point into the middle of the paw, put the ice pick handle against my chest and then with both hands pull the connection towards me. Once open I then use a second ice pick to leverage the two apart. Simple and it never damages either loop.

Upvote 0

wtrbrdm

1143 Miles From The Landing
Apr 5, 2016
Colorado Springs, CO
Name
Ben
Boat
The X
One of the many things I've learned from Jaime.....floss picks....cheap and you can pull out the dinner that's between your teeth. Slide the point into the cat's paw and work it loose.

i4ftBO.png

Upvote 0

migelito

May 12, 2010
So Cal.
Name
Mike
Boat
Indy
I only do one loop through when doing loop2loop. I see some go two or three times. Never seen one of mine fail only going through once. Much easier to separate one loop then multiples.

Upvote 0

Cubeye

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
I only do one loop through when doing loop2loop. I see some go two or three times. Never seen one of mine fail only going through once. Much easier to separate one loop then multiples.
Yes, some people use only one cats paw, but it has been proven, Paulus Just Fishing, I believe, that four times is the best. Strength goes down from there. I use three.

Upvote 0

ifish42na

No Bad Days
Oct 23, 2004
Harrington Park, NJ
www.bhptackle.com
Name
Basil
Boat
Friends With Boats
Yes, some people use only one cats paw, but it has been proven, Paulus Just Fishing, I believe, that four times is the best. Strength goes down from there. I use three.

Any more than two passes (double loop-to-loop) is overkill and makes no difference in reliability of a L2L spectra-to-spectra connection. All due respect to Paulus, let's have a look at some real world tests: John Petruescu's 445lb yellowfin caught on the XL: double loop to loop. (I made the connection for him). My PB BFT, 867lb: double loop to loop and 80lb of drag at the end.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Yellowtail Dan

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Excel, American Angler

Any more than two passes (double loop-to-loop) is overkill and makes no difference in reliability of a L2L spectra-to-spectra connection. All due respect to Paulus, let's have a look at some real world tests: John Petrusecu's 445lb yellowfin caught on the XL: double loop to loop. (I made the connection for him). My PB BFT, 867lb: double loop to loop and 80lb of drag at the end.

"867lb bluefin" that's all Basil?

Now that's just showing off

Upvote 0