Shimano Penn

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 3, 2014
Chula Vista
Name
David
Boat
Fond Memory
Any tips or tricks for loosening a loop to loop connection to change wind ons? Toothpick? Wet line or dry line? I don’t want to damage either the main line or WO if I can help it🙄

Shimano Penn

Dec 3, 2014
Chula Vista
Name
David
Boat
Fond Memory
Pull the loops at a right angle to the cat's paw. It will loosen and make it easy to change.
Oh crap getting old sucks🙄. I used to do that 20 years ago but haven’t used loop to loop since. Thanks for the reminder 😎

Luke

Uses alot of bait!
Aug 19, 2006
Laguna Niguel
Name
Luke
Boat
none
I have a special stainless steel ice pick that is very pointed that I use to open the cat’s paw....I simply put the point into the middle of the paw, put the ice pick handle against my chest and then with both hands pull the connection towards me. Once open I then use a second ice pick to leverage the two apart. Simple and it never damages either loop.

Northeastfshman

I see OJ
Dec 20, 2008
San Clemente
Name
Brett Weinberg
Boat
Parker 2120SCDV
I've been a hollow core addict for almsot 20 years and never new the right angle trick! Excited to try that out.

BluefinCurly

Skipper
Aug 15, 2004
Norwalk
Name
Carl
Boat
Vagabond, The Last Minute
I keep a set of bait needles to pry them open. if you push the needle trough to the bend of the needle, one each side, to grab the end of the spectra , then you just pull it all loose.

migelito

May 12, 2010
So Cal.
Name
Mike
Boat
Indy
I only do one loop through when doing loop2loop. I see some go two or three times. Never seen one of mine fail only going through once. Much easier to separate one loop then multiples.

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
I only do one loop through when doing loop2loop. I see some go two or three times. Never seen one of mine fail only going through once. Much easier to separate one loop then multiples.
Yes, some people use only one cats paw, but it has been proven, Paulus Just Fishing, I believe, that four times is the best. Strength goes down from there. I use three.

ifish42na

No Bad Days
Oct 23, 2004
Harrington Park, NJ
www.bhptackle.com
Name
Basil
Boat
Friends With Boats
Yes, some people use only one cats paw, but it has been proven, Paulus Just Fishing, I believe, that four times is the best. Strength goes down from there. I use three.

Any more than two passes (double loop-to-loop) is overkill and makes no difference in reliability of a L2L spectra-to-spectra connection. All due respect to Paulus, let's have a look at some real world tests: John Petruescu's 445lb yellowfin caught on the XL: double loop to loop. (I made the connection for him). My PB BFT, 867lb: double loop to loop and 80lb of drag at the end.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2017
Tuna Grounds
Name
Gouryella
Boat
Lil Yachty
IF you're in a hurry, the untraditional way would be to cut the part of the main line where the loop from main line to wind-on is. Then re-splice the main line.

Yellowtail Dan

Apr 10, 2006
Roseville Ca
Name
Dan
Boat
Excel, American Angler

Any more than two passes (double loop-to-loop) is overkill and makes no difference in reliability of a L2L spectra-to-spectra connection. All due respect to Paulus, let's have a look at some real world tests: John Petrusecu's 445lb yellowfin caught on the XL: double loop to loop. (I made the connection for him). My PB BFT, 867lb: double loop to loop and 80lb of drag at the end.
"867lb bluefin" that's all Basil?

Now that's just showing off