Changing hook for megabait

joshc1024

Aug 23, 2009
Menifee
Name
Josh
Boat
Boat club
I got a few megabait jigs today, and I want to switch out the stock treble hooks for some better ones. What size should I use? does brand matter? circle or J hooks?
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0

sdfishkiller

Cod Smuggler
Mar 13, 2005
Point Loma
Name
Todd Victor Mora
Boat
19' Whaler: EL SUPER LIZARDFISH
I got a few megabait jigs today, and I want to switch out the stock treble hooks for some better ones. What size should I use? does brand matter? circle or J hooks?
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Stick with trebles. If you want to upgrade, Owner makes some nice 3x or 4x strong trebles.

I only upgrade the trebles on the 1 oz sized "megabait" style jigs (hooks tend to be lighter wire). I've never had a straightened hook on the 2-4oz stock jigs. I replace mine with Mustad trebles (after a season or two). 20-50# test.

Don't put a circle on them.

What are you using them for? Albies/Bluefin etc.?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

joshc1024

Aug 23, 2009
Menifee
Name
Josh
Boat
Boat club
Thanks for the quick replay Todd.
I'm going on a 1.5 day in 2 weeks and looking to put these in good use on bluefin/albies.

Upvote 0

sdfishkiller

Cod Smuggler
Mar 13, 2005
Point Loma
Name
Todd Victor Mora
Boat
19' Whaler: EL SUPER LIZARDFISH
Shouldn't have a problem, but if you want to upgrade,, take your jigs to the shop and size em up to the Owners. 3x is stong enough. Size:1/0 or 2/0 for 2-4oz jigs.

Upvote 0

onehottip

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 8, 2006
So cal
Name
Guerms
Boat
18.5 Wahoo cc , Evinrude Etec V6 135 HO
I changed all mine out to single hooks.The size depending on lure is 7/0 - 8/0. Any good tackle shop will the those hooks available. These hooks will have the eye open enough to slip on the jig. Then you can close them up in a vise. Dont worry about brand. I measured them From the bottom of U to top of eye is 2 inches and shank across to tip is 1 1/4. Any similar size will work great and if u hook a lg. bft you'll be glad you had the single hook. Godd luck on your trip.

Upvote 0

Baja Dreamer

Push the button Max!
Jul 2, 2004
Bakersfield,Ca.
Name
Chris
Boat
None
I used to use Megabait jigs and when I did I liked changing out the hook for a Mustad 7692 which is a forged hook similar to the larger 7691 most folks know, but available in smaller sizes and a lighter profile. But after a while I didn't like buying something I felt I HAD to change the hooks/rigging on for it to be how I wanted it. And yes I have straightened out the light trebles on the Megabaits. (I think they use VMC hooks.)

I started using Braid DB jigs that already come rigged with a premium single offset hook and don't worry about it any more. They also use welded rings rather than split rings so if you do hook a big BF on them you can really pull! I rarely toss them on anything less than 40 lb. Best of all, if you can't find them at your local shop you can get them factory direct online! ;)

Upvote 0

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
The trebles that come with them are junk...I change mine out with singles....I also get rid of the split rings and braze on solid rings.....

Upvote 0

Mfish618

Sea Reaper
Jun 5, 2007
San Diego/ Westport Wa.
Name
Mike
Boat
19 FT. Searay, 17 ft Champion
The trebles that come with them are junk...I change mine out with singles....I also get rid of the split rings and braze on solid rings.....

Yep, I do the same. The P-Line Laser
Minnows have a better hook and splits, maybe not as good as Owner's but so far I leave them as is.

Upvote 0