Changes: New Long Range Destinations and Radio Silence...

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by vegasandre, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Retired1

Retired1 Fishing n Music

Name:
    Christopher
    Boat:
    Jailbait sold
    Chinese saying 'you point one finger and three points back at you'

Big carp likes this.
  2. pgangler

pgangler 12Wt

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    Was Cabo35, now RR3
    I sympathize with where this is coming from, and believe it's driving some very current behavior. But I don't think it's realistic as a trend. We're living in a more and more transparent world. Even we on this board get fidgety if the boats haven't posted on their sites or FB for a few days. 5 years ago, would any of us even have known what "FB" meant? I see this same conversation frequently on different topics - "we need to go back to the way it was". Where is that actually happening or going to happen?

IMO, we need to accept the fact that our actions will be more and more visible to everyone around us, and we should think through the ramifications of that. While I am personally all for disconnecting when you get on the boat, I don't think the boats will get to disconnect from the community - it's a part of their marketing investment. That's why Tim Ekstrom writes the extensive prose - because we feed on it and it's ultimately good for RS's business. Look at all the pictures posted by the RP and the Intrepid - I suspect nearly all of us look at them.

I won't call it progress, as that's a subjective POV, but it is natural evolution and as irreversible as entropy.

3. CaptJgray

CaptJgray I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jeff Gray
    Boat:
    hell no....
    Thats because Marijuana has been legalized:D

4. DMcD

DMcD Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dennis McDougall
    Boat:
    None
    I thank those of you who have contributed informative comments and opinions on this subject...because I think that was Vegasandre's original intent when he started this post. For those few haters out there who have used this (and other posts) to bash Mexico and its people...get a life. Obviously, you have not spent much time (if any) there, among some of the friendliest, most courteous people you will ever meet.

Fincutter, esgeo, Retired1 and 19 others like this.
  5. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  6. XL1

XL1 XL1

Name:
    XL
    Boat:
    www.excelsportfishing.com
    The satellite that provides internet to the fleet is broken. We all need new software to connect again. Thus boats at sea will not have internet until they return.

7. $norkle

$norkle Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Bruce
    Boat:
    In my dreams!
    Don't waste the money---it hasn't worked worth a damn for the last three years and likely won't in the future.

JWFogg, No Cal Lou, shellback and 2 others like this.
  8. The Right Kind

The Right Kind Slave

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    The Right Kind - 31' Cabo Express
    If it's really that important, the fleet needs to get together and launch their own satellite and park it right over The Bank. That is, if Mexico still lets the fleet fish in their waters. Personally I think they should have never offered internet service.

9. vegasandre

vegasandre I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Andre
    Boat:
    Any Boat that I can go on
    The original Intent of this post was to explore new possible destinations for Tuna fishing for the LR fleet while discussing fishability within or outside of countries economic fishing zones...

Many on this board share a extreme passion for fishing and LR fishing in particular.

Also I jumped the gun on the radio silence thing(broken satellite feed).But with what was happening it appeared as an easy correlation.

Somehow, but not surprisingly, the thread morphed on into off topic conversation regarding the typical political and righteous conversation, that some feel strongly about,but still off topic for this thread.

It appears that the fishing on the LR scene way down south looks to be good right now.

Still there are changes coming:
    -whether it is new fishing grounds discovered or yet to be discovered
    -possible relocation of some of the fleet to other ports during winter season
    -new deals with neighboring countries granting fishing access
    - Inter workings between the commercial fisheries/recreational fisheries and eviromentalists
    -more C&R ...

Hoping the future brings more Great fishing experiences for all.

DMcD, FishRock, Cubeye and 2 others like this.
  10. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    Maybe the next step is to have a fast supply ship that supplies all the long range boats with customers and transfers crew on the long trips. Maybe even bait supply. Base the boats out of San Jose del Cabo or Puerto Vallarta, maybe stagger between both from the supply ship. Base the trips on 1 week from there. Then you can have the option of putting your gear on the supply ship and flying down or back if you wanted. Mexican law allows processing of fish if the fish is transferred to another vessel and the supply ship can clean the catch on the way home...

Just thinking outside the box...

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    Rodless_Jim and vegasandre like this.
  11. swami 805

swami 805 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    sunk it
    Sort of off topic but isn't chumming illegal in Mexico? Not sure where I got that but I've heard it before.

Maybe some kind of compromise can be worked out in the closed areas. Since the boats check in at Ensenada maybe pay a Mexican fisheries guy to ride along and keep tabs on things and drop him off on the way back. Might cost extra for each passenger but it couldn't be that much. Might be able to collect data while they're at it. All they see now is stacks of dead fish which doesn't reflect well on the sport. Just a thought

CV-Wayne and vegasandre like this.
  12. shellback

shellback Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    shellback
    Boat:
    other peoples
    the solution for frank and the rest of the owners appears simple to me... mexico doesn't own the entire ocean and unless I miss my guess there are lots of high spots, seamounts and escarpement edges within the range of sd long range boats that hold big fish. their new task is to hunt for them.

Retired1, CV-Wayne, DMcD and 6 others like this.
  13. ygfatboy

ygfatboy Member

Name:
    jeff young
    Boat:
    none
    Smoke another one bro

14. jigsaurus

jigsaurus Member

Name:
    Stephen
    Boat:
    12' plastic cod killer
  15. vegasandre

vegasandre I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Andre
    Boat:
    Any Boat that I can go on
    Current trips:
    The American Angler (14 day) and Royal Polaris (18 day) started their trips at Guadalupe

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    FishRock likes this.
  16. FishRock

FishRock I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    JAM
    Boat:
    Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
    I just saw that. A definite departure from the normal routine. Has me wondering what is in store for my late January 14-day trip.

17. freegaff2

freegaff2 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Craig Simcox
    Boat:
    none
    what's the old saying..."don't leave fish to find fish"...sounds like the bank slowed down a bit, and the grade there was about the same as at the 'Lupe. Boats left there, for the inside banks. Vag just got back with 3 over 300 from below. HMMM, make a score close, then work your way down to the Potato, fishing all the way. I don't think I'd be demanding a refund :D

Nebraska, Olddog8, jer dog and 6 others like this.
  18. Retired1

Retired1 Fishing n Music

Name:
    Christopher
    Boat:
    Jailbait sold
    I was one of them on the Potato Bank with the Intrepid on the Larry Brown 10 day trip. There are two threads on the trip one on Nov 8 Intrepid weighs In and the other on Nov 15 Larry Brown 10 day on the Intrepid. The Potato Bank exploded on us for 3 days and I got lucky with a 236lb my personal best. catch on the boat was 5 fish over 300 biggest 368 lb, 17 fish over 200 n 3 over 100 lb. I have to give Kudos to Capt Sammy and the crew for this record catch on one trip. yes we had 8 fish unbutton on us.

Bill W likes this.
  19. 3GunSalute

3GunSalute Nocturnal Snow Monkey

Name:
    Peter
    Boat:
    14' Valco, Excel
    Seriously?
    I don't like to inject politics but c'mon.
    Politicians set fuel prices? Really? REALLY?
    Moonbeam raised the ROAD tax on fuel. Marine fuel is exempt from that...
    Politicians ARE raising taxes on all us regular working class folk to pay for DEEP cuts for billionaires and Mega-Corporations. When that is not enough, which it never is, they will (already are talking about) set(setting) their' sights on Medicare and Social Security to pay for tax cuts for those who should be paying MORE. The tax rate for millionaires and above was 60% in the post WW2 to 1970 era when this country became a super power and WAS GREAT. The rich were STILL rich THEN. The middle class came into existence then. A blue collar worker could buy a house and send his kids to college then. Now? Not so much. Trickle down just doesn't flow any further than the initial recipient's pockets.
    Tell me how that KoolAid is tasting for you in ten years or so...
    Don't peg me as a libtard either. I'm a centrist common sense non affiliated realist.
    We are doomed as a nation if we continue with the polarization which is fed to us by and enables these swine in Washington to become cleptocrats then oligarchs while we bicker about false and meaningless divisions amongst ourselves.
    Screw the issues they feed us to chew on. Campaign finance reform is THE problem and should be THE issue. All politicians answer SOLELY to their' donors, not their' constituents. Rise up!

Rant over. My apologies for the off topic shit stir. I'll say no more...
    Sorry again. That line just got me...
    Carry on.

20. Brad I

Brad I Common Sense Isn't Common Enough

Name:
    Brad I
    Boat:
    Nope
    :appl::appl::appl: