hobie20

Learner's Permit
Jun 18, 2012
SANTEE/CA/USA
Name
Mike
Boat
Kelly - 23' CC Boston Whaler, Green T-top, 225 SWSII
Short version, we hooked up a lovely Wahoo and lost it due to old line.

11:00 AM Off of North PB in 300 feet of water about 6 miles off shore. 71.8 degree water, Yosuri pink/red color changing marauder style lure, wire leader with swivels and thimbles. Clean line break away from knot. tried to retie and the line kept fraying.

If you catch a wahoo with my lure still in it's mouth, please enjoy the new lure.

Upvote 0

reel man

Common sense
Dec 31, 2004
Burbank, CA
Name
Jerry
Boat
Spirit of Adventure
Short version, we hooked up a lovely Wahoo and lost it due to old line.

11:00 AM Off of North PB in 300 feet of water about 6 miles off shore. 71.8 degree water, Yosuri pink/red color changing marauder style lure, wire leader with swivels and thimbles. Clean line break away from knot. tried to retie and the line kept fraying.

If you catch a wahoo with my lure still in it's mouth, please enjoy the new lure.
Cheapest investment you can make in any fishing situation. :deadhorse

Upvote 0

Access

Fisherman
Sep 3, 2014
South Bay
Name
Lam
Boat
SeaVee 370Z (One day)
I usually use my line for 2-3 trips and then change them depending what the condition is. Don't try to save a few bucks on lines and lose a great fish! There is no short cut. Lol

Upvote 0

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
Good advice. With trolling rods your using heavy line and they last longer under normal conditions. But then the fish of your lifetime comes along and GONE. Thanks for the reminder at your cost!

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
Over time Ive become border line OCD when it comes to fresh line.If you invest in the big bulk spools its cheaper in the long run.
No more heart breaking moments for me.
big mono spool.jpg

Upvote 0

hobie20

Learner's Permit
Jun 18, 2012
SANTEE/CA/USA
Name
Mike
Boat
Kelly - 23' CC Boston Whaler, Green T-top, 225 SWSII
The rod had straight 80 lbs mono on it. I stripped it off and it is being spooled with 135 lbs hollow core spectra and 80 lbs 50 yard top shot. I can replace the top shot on every trip. This was the last of the trolling reels to be set up like this. Now onto the lighter reels with spectra back and short top shot. One reel at a time.

Upvote 0

ripped

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Dec 5, 2007
    Santa Barbara
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    Vagabond
    I still remember the fish I lost to old line from 20 years ago. I was on the 105 with my buddy and we both hooked up at the same time. After a screaming run my fish broke off way under breaking strength on my lever drag. My buddies fish turned out to be a 110 lb. bluefin and took the jackpot. I have never forgotten that fish and has kept me awake at night for many an hour.
    If your all in for this sport do yourself a favor and buy a power line winder and bulk spools. In the long run you'll save a lot of money in line and will have one less thing to worry about when Big Moe is on.

Upvote 0